• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDave

Jul 1, 2020
    Finksburg, MD
    Nope, no paranoia. And I never said carrying wasn’t for me. I’m not questioning carrying. I’m just saying that this law that has been passed despite the injunctions is still quite onerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister F

Aug 16, 2022
    Rockville
    Here's an alternative but have fun trying to carry this puppy around! :innocent0
    Legal schmegal....no permit needed.

As someone with a Byrna, I like it.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Obviously, I must not “need” it — since I’ve had to live without it in this state for 68 years. The reason I asked is because of the bill passed last October by Governor waste more. It seems so restricted that it almost seems not worth it to jump through the hoops you have to jump through to get it. But since I am able to get it, I will.
    DustyDave, Welcome to the forum and welcome in your logical reasoning for asking the question..

In my cynical nature I get ya. The "waste more" comment is exactly my take on him.
    Now, like you, in my 60 years, I could never legally carry as well. All due to Maryland's impingement on my Comstitutional rights.

Now, that Supreme Court determined that to be the case, Md is not finished attempting to disarm us. These restrictions flat out suck, as does keeping track of all that BS and as many changes that they add to the squeeze every time we turn around. Take the proposed tax hikes/special taxes they want to tack on to gun/ammo/accessories sales for example.

As far as the permit goes. I am going to reluctantly pay the piper and take the class, so that I can do my best to defend myself and my family in this ever increasingly dangerous state we live in.

The other thing about getting it now is: before when one had to demonstrate a good and substantial need to W&C, it was a total shaft job on the law abiding citizen. Where we had to prove a need, and then the gov't even restricted us further to deem a finite set of rules levied on each individual wearer, such as to and from work only.

At least now, once you have the permit, you stand a chance.

DustyDave

Jul 1, 2020
    Finksburg, MD
    Thank you for your refreshing and lucid reply. I totally agree with you and I will be taking the class as well..

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Nope, no paranoia. And I never said carrying wasn’t for me. I’m not questioning carrying. I’m just saying that this law that has been passed despite the injunctions is still quite onerous.

You claimed in multiple replies there’s “more to it” so to say and people may not be doing something right.

what are you worried/paranoid about?

In other words, when you read the law and then read the injunction what is it you see/know exactly that people carrying a handgun are doing wrong?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I knew about the injunction. I just still feel there’s a lot of restrictive stuff that isn’t covered by the injunction… and I think a lot of people aren’t really reading it all and are missing a lot of stuff and assuming things that aren’t true.

There is a lot of nuances to the laws, that why you need to stay up on them all around. Once you get the carry permit, and pay attention to what you can and cant do it is much easier than you think.

Your coming from the point of "assuming things", and your doing that from what we call the bgos side, or battered gun owner syndrome. Yes the rules and limits still suck, but they are not that hard to work thru and deal with. Personally I dont have to go to day cares, so it does not effect me. But I have a friend whos wife runs one from their house and he is afraid to get hi permit, even thou the law says home based daycare does not apply. If I did have to go to a daycare there is ways to do it legally, like a lock box.

Everything in the bill does suck, the really crappy stuff was stayed, hopefully we win more. But we do need to acknowledge we may not win them all, but we will still be better that we where 3 years ago.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I knew about the injunction. I just still feel there’s a lot of restrictive stuff that isn’t covered by the injunction… and I think a lot of people aren’t really reading it all and are missing a lot of stuff and assuming things that aren’t true.

Most of the 'restrictions' in SB1 were already MSP policy. The most egregious new limits have been permanently enjoined (eliminated). Eventually, there are high expectations that the remaining limitations will be ruled unconstitutional.

By getting YOUR permit, you're voting with your investment of training time and cash.

The more permits are issued, the weaker the state's case gets.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    It is not that onerous concealed means concealed and stop worrying about it--get or make a lockbox for your car should you ever need to store it--you can build one out of an ammo-can- a hasp- lock and a cable for about $25 that is sturdier and more secure than the ones they sell out there. I think I have used mine once or twice in 18 months

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't attempt to read Dusty's mind , but will comment about people in the position of thinking twice about it

Yes ! The Injunctions made SB-1 significantly * Less Worse * , but it still sucks . More current Restrictions than on Sept 30 , 2023 .

Depending upon where you live , work ,
    spend time , lifestyle, etc , it's impact will vary .

The money .
    +/- $500 is Real Money . Either to have at all , or to be a trade off with ( fill in blank ) . For people who anticipated Carry only occasionally , the money will make them think hard .

Here's a comparison .
    South Carolina is in the news and on our minds from becoming the next to last state to voluntarily go Con Carry . Good for them ! As far as that goes .

But pre Con Carry , SC had already stopped charging application fee . And the mainstream going rate for ( Meets State Requirements ) 8 hr class was $50 to $100 . Among the first handfull of search results was $85 including fingerprints .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom