Wearing empty holster around to adapt, did you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Assuming you're in a typical MD suburban area, put the gun in the holster and go for a nice long walk around the neighborhood. That should give you a good sense of how it's going to feel and ride as you move around some in a pretty low key environment.
    This is actually a really good point. Assuming you aren't taking a stroll in a crime heavy area and you don't actively look like you are up to no good, you should be able to do this all day long without anyone noticing or caring. Illegal? Well, yeah. But the risk is so low as to barely register. There are a lot of otherwise law abiding folks caring without a permission slip. Of course, the penalty for screwing up is pretty high. Risk/reward is a very personal choice.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    No. Just put it in the waistband, one in the chamber, and off I went. I don’t understand some people’s mental roadblocks to it.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    There used to be some posts about one's first experience stepping out armed. A "Wally World" walkabout was the essence of it, wandering around in the store, getting something to eat - new CCW carriers would post their experiences. Long forgotten, couldn't find it in Search.

Wife and I went to the Baltimore Craft Show at the convention center today, me looking like the typical OFWG, with a little bulge at my hip. No one noticed. Tuckable IWB+ plaid shirt; I'm pretty much invisible. No one even looks at old fat white guys.
    Some good points for the new "B", I have been carrying for years all over the USA. For me how I carry is also depends on the season. In the warmer months I carry at 7 o'clock with a custom WIB soft holster which is very comfortable typically wearing Hawaiian shirts. In the colder months with my Carhart vest I use a shoulder rig. When wearing a flannel shirt untucked, I use a custom pocket holster or a WIB at 7 o'clock. When traveling I have a custom holster for my driver's seat which is readily accessible. Wearing a IWB or OWB holster in an auto can be a PITA to say nothing about quick access. Traveling brings up a whole different set of circumstances mainly knowing the laws of each state. Hiking the Appellation trail also could be an issue depending on if you have the correct CCW in the states. The more you carry then it becomes second nature.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I did the empty gun, for practice, then without a chambered round for a bit. I am a big (fat) guy so a negligent discharge in a holster will auger through places and things I like. With modern kydex holsters, that cover the trigger, that will not happen so I carry with a chambered round, now.

Pax

Feb 11, 2023
    Sparks Maryland
    It never occurred to me to wear an empty holster. If you want to get a feel for it, carry around the house, yard, other place you are in control of with the pistol in the holster while waiting your permit. If you are nervous about it, carry it unloaded at first until you are comfortable. Of course, an unloaded gun is as useful as an unloaded holster, but at least you will get a feel for how it sits on you. I don't think an empty holster is very representative.
    Your points are well taken. At home I always wear with my holster with a fully loaded gun. I have previously held a CCW from CT., so it is an exercise to refresh my mind of it's presence.

My wearing of an empty holster in public has helped me to be conscious and avoid some of the "tells" of someone carrying i.e. adjusting shirt, inadvertent touching as well pulling up of belt. Also it has allowed me to to ignore the sensation of having a holster on my waist.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Your points are well taken. At home I always wear with my holster with a fully loaded gun. I have previously held a CCW from CT., so it is an exercise to refresh my mind of it's presence.

My wearing of an empty holster in public has helped me to be conscious and avoid some of the "tells" of someone carrying i.e. adjusting shirt, inadvertent touching as well pulling up of belt. Also it has allowed me to to ignore the sensation of having a holster on my waist.
    The "tells" that everyone is afraid of has stuck me as odd lately.

Adjusting shirt: Perhaps it is because I'm carrying some extra weight, but I adjust my shirt all the time to make sure it isn't riding over my belly. No one needs to see that. Bonus, since I am mobile and moving around sometimes causes the shirt to pull up over the weapon a little, or bunch up around it, a casual "Picard Maneuver" keeps things fairly smooth. I doubt anyone notices. Call it "fat privilege".

Pulling up of belt: More fat privilege. Adjusting clothes is just a thing for big guys. I try not to do this often, but even my little p365 pulls the pants down a bit as my hated muffin top (lovehandles? Whatever) keeps the belt from resting on my hips. I need to ratchet the belt pretty tight to keep it from happening. I've been considering a belt and suspenders setup, but my wife thinks that would look too hokey. Are concealed suspenders over the undershirt but under the outer shirt a thing?

Inadvertent touching: Only do this if I'm adjusting for comfort. Usually when getting in or out of my car.

I'm losing weight. If I keep it up the fat privilege will go away. But, frankly, I just don't care.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    This is actually a really good point. Assuming you aren't taking a stroll in a crime heavy area and you don't actively look like you are up to no good, you should be able to do this all day long without anyone noticing or caring. Illegal? Well, yeah. But the risk is so low as to barely register. There are a lot of otherwise law abiding folks caring without a permission slip. Of course, the penalty for screwing up is pretty high. Risk/reward is a very personal choice.

I had actually been thinking he had his permit but was still getting acclimated to the whole idea at the point of doing this. I did wear mine while doing stuff in the yard pre-permit though. Was very tempted to just keep walking at some points.

Pax

Feb 11, 2023
    Sparks Maryland
    I had actually been thinking he had his permit but was still getting acclimated to the whole idea at the point of doing this. I did wear mine while doing stuff in the yard pre-permit though. Was very tempted to just keep walking at some points.
    I have also been wearing around the house and did get in the car to run quick errand and then realized I had not removed my gun. I am too close now to even risk it, even though, as someone said, the chances are extremely low. I must say that having done both with gun and without that I am paying less and less attention that it is even there.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    While waiting on the MD permit I took the time to figure out how I wanted to carry and did so around the house. We are 3 doors down from a school here in the city and I am surrounded by liberals so I was pretty ridgid about leaving the property until I got my permission slip.

Last night was the first time I really had an empty holster for any length of time. I was doing practice drawing and first shot (with the laser cartridge) and the phone rang. Set the pistol on my desk to talk on the phone for a few and realized I didn't like the holster empty at all. Just felt weird, especially the sweat guard. I can see how if I had started this way I might have been inclined to not carry AIWB. Hard to say though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wearing an empty holster around the house just gives you experience wearing an empty holster around the house.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    After I completed my application and before I received my permit I carried a holster with my handgun and a fully loaded mag around the house to get the holster and belt tension right. Ended up getting a different belt with a finer adjustment. Having a full length mirror helped me determine what movements may cause ride up ( i can raise my hands to shoulder height, no more). Also, I bought a couple "tall" flannel shirts ( I'm average height) which gives me a longer tail and reduces the ride up issues. I now carry whenever and wherever it is legal to do so. I still remember the first time I went out and about armed. I was very self conscious. It was hard to believe nobody noticed it, since it was a very different sensation. I do make an effort to ensure my belt is tight enough to prevent my pants from sagging ( I look at the relationship between my cuffs and the floor) also, I generally adjust each time I get out of the car, while still standing behind the opened door.

Carroll

Jul 19, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    First 1-2 times I carried without a round in the tube. After that loaded and ready. A good gun belt is a must. I carry with an IWB kydex holster @ 4:30 and so I don't have to cinch the belt so tight I wear a pair of Dickies suspenders. They are $12 on Amazon and have "U" shaped hooks that go under the belt to hold it up. In cold weather the suspenders are under a vest. Without a vest the suspenders are under my untucked shirt. I would like to carry OWB wearing a sport coat but it looks like I have a brick on my waist under my coat. I'm too cheap to buy a leather OWB holster that might hold the gun closer to my body.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I got my holster before my slide came back from being machined for an optic so I carried a few times with half a gun.
    7bbc2369b6a1ea408310fe71cf59d671.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You’ll probably end up with a bunch of holsters once you’ve settled on what actually works best for you. You shouldn’t have to dress around a firearm and when you find the right match of comfort, concealability, and proficiency of use you’ll be all set. You may have a backup option as well for select situations but it seems like most end up with a primary method and firearm and stick to it which is what I do as well.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I must confess for the first 3 months I carried with a loaded mag, striker cocked and an empty chamber. I figured if I had a ND i'd rather it be a click than a bang. No missteps so now it's ready for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom