• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    A couple of buddies and I went to Elk Neck state park yesterday to sight in rifles, shoot some targets and shoot some clay pigeons.

IT WAS FUN!!! I don't get out too often so I really enjoyed this! :party29:

I took my new 12 ga. Mossberg and my .22 Winchester. They are both a lot of fun, but I realized that I need to get a couple of scopes. Any recommendations there for a beginner (nothing tooooo expensive)?

We also went through 100 clay pigeons as my buddy has a decent launcher. I realized that I'm pretty good at that as I hit about 80%, and for my first time out, I thought that was pretty good.

Elk Neck was nice too. Good setup, not packed, good people, no pressure. I think next year will definitely be worth the $50 for the year. I can see going at least twice a month during the season.

Mikey

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You are welcome to come join us on Thursday nights at BCG&F mikey, we do trap shooting starting at about 6. Shoot me a PM if ya want and I'll give you the details.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Mikeyworks

I was there yesterday as well...was that you in the Mr Good wrench truck?
    anyway I was there shooting my New FN SLP Shot gun , AR Frankengun and Robinson XCR. I had a good time...

100 Yard with my AR with a Leupold Mark4 1.5-5x20

http://
    IMG_0682.jpg
    [/IMG]

Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Mikeyworks

I was there yesterday as well...was that you in the Mr Good wrench truck?
    anyway I was there shooting my New FN SLP Shot gun , AR Frankengun and Robinson XCR. I had a good time...

100 Yard with my AR with a Leupold Mark4 1.5-5x20

No, not my truck, but I was with two guys at the far left end of the range. We then pulled the Jeeps down (one older YJ and an newer XJ) and were practicing over on the skeet range. Your AR Frankengun must have been the one that hurt my ears even though the muffs... :D

def. pay the $50 next year. i went probably 5 times before i bought the full membership.

i never went on the weekend... you said it wasnt packed though?? usually me and a couple other ppl on here go during the week and usually we have the range to ourselves

Yeah, the $50 is a wise investment. We were talking about going on evenings after work. When we went (considering it was a Saturday, mid-day, just before hunting season) there were probably 3-4 slots open at any given time on the rifle range (pistol range was rather empty). I would have expected the place to be very full with folks sighting in scopes/rifles....

Mikey

Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I've wanted to stop there during the day but never did, directions please. Any excluded weapons, range distance's, cost? Do they allow FA?
    Some of this is graciously borrowed from other threads:

(I wish I could find "the best map ever" from the AR-15 site)

From US 40, head East/South on MD 272.
    Pass through the downtown part of North East (go slow, there's usually a lot of folks and/or cops)
    Just after you pass downtown, there's a sign for Irishtown Road (opposite the VFW). There's a sign for the shooting range at this turn.
    Turn LEFT on Irishtown Road and head back about 2 miles.
    The entrance to the range is on your left, dirt road.
    The first buildings on your left is the Ranger's station. Stop there and pay/fill out the forms.
    Continue down the dirt road 1/2 to 3/4 more miles and the range will be on your LEFT.

It's $10/day or $50/year. There are forms for the annual application and the annual pass expires on 31 December.

you need to take your own stand/targets and ear/eye protection.

rifle range- has benches w/ stools. it is under a pavilion

hand gun range- has one long counter and some stools, also under a pavilion

both ranges have markers every 5 or 10 yards, i forget which one it is.

skeet platform- a little deck over a hill, no cover

From the permit itself:
    • No automatic weapons.
    • Semi-automatic fire limited to one round per second.
    • Center of target must be a minimum of four (4) feet off of ground.
    • Targets must be in direct line with the shooter to avoid cross fire and errant rounds.
    • Only paper or clay targets may be used.
    • All target stands must be removed from premises after use.
    • All hulls, brass, and spent cartridges must be picked up and removed.
    • No shot shells. Shot shells may only be used at the skeet area.
    • Targets must not be fastened to or leaned against baffles or support posts.
    • No shooting at baffles or support posts.
    • A mandatory 5-minute "cease fire" must be called at 25 minutes & 55 minutes after every hour.
    • When shooters are down range all firearms are to be unloaded and all breeches open, firearms are not to be handled during this time.
    • No loaded firearms behind or forward of shooting area.
    • Alcohol & Pets are prohibited.
    • All shooters must have a valid range permit in possession, or have paid the daily admission.
    • Children must not be left unattended.
    • All shooting must be done in a safe manner and only at designated areas.
    • Range Hours: 9:00 a.m. to sunset Tuesday through Saturday, Mondays closed until 4:00 p.m.
    • Annual Permit is valid from date of purchase through December 31st of the year of issue.

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    A couple of buddies and I went to Elk Neck state park yesterday to sight in rifles, shoot some targets and shoot some clay pigeons.

IT WAS FUN!!! I don't get out too often so I really enjoyed this! :party29:

I took my new 12 ga. Mossberg and my .22 Winchester. They are both a lot of fun, but I realized that I need to get a couple of scopes. Any recommendations there for a beginner (nothing tooooo expensive)?

We also went through 100 clay pigeons as my buddy has a decent launcher. I realized that I'm pretty good at that as I hit about 80%, and for my first time out, I thought that was pretty good.

Elk Neck was nice too. Good setup, not packed, good people, no pressure. I think next year will definitely be worth the $50 for the year. I can see going at least twice a month during the season.

Mikey

I've been there on a few occasions myself. Nice, cheap place to shoot. At one time they had a pigeon launcher. Is it gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom