• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I counted at least 5 planes lined up to land at the airport around 11:30 - 11:40.

Any special even this weekend? Or just lots of students?

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Hoffman's for the win, always!

I've also seen Blackhawk helicopters the last two days, not sure what's going on.

I live very close the back side of the airport.

Checksbob

U wreckum I checkum
    "at least 5 planes lined up"

That's actually kinda sad. Before flying got so darned expensive I'd join the pattern for touch & goes or lunch and it'd be common to have close to a dozen.

We lock kids out now rather than letting them walk the ramps, prices of purchase/tie-downs/gas/etc are insane, and GA is dying.
    :(

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    "at least 5 planes lined up"

That's actually kinda sad. Before flying got so darned expensive I'd join the pattern for touch & goes or lunch and it'd be common to have close to a dozen.

We lock kids out now rather than letting them walk the ramps, prices of purchase/tie-downs/gas/etc are insane, and GA is dying.
    :(

In the late 70's Gibson Aviation in Gaithersburg had over twenty 152's / 150's for rent and they'd be booked. Walking the ramp, I got rides offered (and taken) in a Mooney at DMW , and a R22 at GAI

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    *Reminiscing* In my day. The pattern at FDK was 5 NM out with 152's all doing about 65k. With gear up the Arrow is at 90. I had to pass two before pushing back in for base and resetting for landing.. I started with a 150 commuter for 22/hr, dry.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    When I was in high schooI (back in the late 60s and early 70s) I worked line service at KCDW in NJ. Our flight school had at least 10 150s, 3 172s, a couple 182s a 177RG and a 310. I think there were at least 5 full time flight instructors and a couple part timers as well. On a good date it wasn’t unusual to have 10 - 12 airplanes in the pattern. I recall most any good Saturday or Sunday pumping over 2000 gallons of avgas and almost as much Jet A. Gone are the days of big flight schools. FAA and TSA has chased all the people away from airports with fences and locked gates. Almost every airport had rows of airplanes tied outside, sold fuel and had a maintenance shop. Today it can sometimes be problematic to find fuel. If I wasn’t an A&P/IA I doubt I could find a shop I’d trust my airplane to. The transportation industry is going to hit a brick wall in the not to distant future with pilot and mechanic shortages!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sirex