• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Dan, you deserve a better answer so here's the short form. For defensive ammo, my only concern is making my attacker stop attacking. Pain or blood loss may make him decide to stop. Incapacitation or death will force him to stop. I need to cause as much trauma to him as possible in the fewest shots becuse I don't want him making a decision, I want to make it for him. Nothing in this ammo suggests to me that it will destroy my enemy's central nervous or skeletal systems any faster than conventional JHP's. Destroying those things is how I force an attacker to stop NOW. Blood loss means he may still be moving, and therefore attacking. I don't have time to wait for him to bleed out and pain is an unreliable stopper. In short, this looks like a gimmick that won't do anything better than more proven technology.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    High tech version of a wax slug or supersized Glaser, the idea is to basically holds the shot together till it hits something hard. Main issue is inconsistent performance, the main reason polyshok never caught on. Seen a few tests where it would stay together through a wall defeating the purpose, or break up as designed through heavy clothing or light barriers and fail to penetrate sufficiently. Even a solid hit limits penetration, and while 1 oz of anything at 1100FPS will ruin someone's day, if it can't reach vital organs or the CNS it can't absolutely stop a determined threat. In a shotgun with the inherent low capacity, slow rate of fire, and slow reloads, it's especially dangerous to remove the main benefit of it's lethality.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Dan, you deserve a better answer so here's the short form. For defensive ammo, my only concern is making my attacker stop attacking. Pain or blood loss may make him decide to stop. Incapacitation or death will force him to stop. I need to cause as much trauma to him as possible in the fewest shots becuse I don't want him making a decision, I want to make it for him. Nothing in this ammo suggests to me that it will destroy my enemy's central nervous or skeletal systems any faster than conventional JHP's. Destroying those things is how I force an attacker to stop NOW. Blood loss means he may still be moving, and therefore attacking. I don't have time to wait for him to bleed out and pain is an unreliable stopper. In short, this looks like a gimmick that won't do anything better than more proven technology.
    Thanks,
    Dan

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Interesting but I'm always suspicious of new wonder ammo claims. Most of the ones I have seen turn out to be just gimmicks, if not pure shit. That being said this particular one would be interesting to see in objective testing, might have potential.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Low recoil hollowpoint slugs seem like a better option than size 16 shot that disperses on impact. A slug has a good chance at severing a spinal cord let alone any organs in the way. For self defense a heavy wide slug that penetrates sufficiently seems like a no brainer.

Feb 28, 2013
    Interesting but I'm always suspicious of new wonder ammo claims. Most of the ones I have seen turn out to be just gimmicks, if not pure shit. That being said this particular one would be interesting to see in objective testing, might have potential.

Speakin' of gimmickry, I certainly wasn't much impressed with those RIP 9MM cactus-lookin' boolits with the crap stickin' out every whichaway. Looks like it would tear feed ramps a new ass.

But my concern with slugs in HD is overpenetration, goin' through walls and possibly hittin' friendlies. Can't have that.

Can't see that bein' much of an issue with these.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    MSP golfing buddy keeps telling me to pick HD ammo based on what a jury might see. He claims these special rounds put a notion in a jury's head for premeditation. no data on it, but I'm inclined to agree.
    While its cool to think about, IMHO, I'm not going to shoot anyone with anything but generic run of the mill stuff.

Pendragon

2nd U.S. Cavalry Veteran
    Sep 20, 2011
    Edgewood, MD
    For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.
    Number 1 buckshot has the potential to produce more effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck, without the accompanying risk of over-penetration. The IWBA believes, with very good reason, that number 1 buckshot is the shotshell load of choice for quickly stopping deadly criminal violence.

Here is a great article on the subject: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    MSP golfing buddy keeps telling me to pick HD ammo based on what a jury might see. He claims these special rounds put a notion in a jury's head for premeditation. no data on it, but I'm inclined to agree.
    While its cool to think about, IMHO, I'm not going to shoot anyone with anything but generic run of the mill stuff.

My thinking as well. If you end up having to defend your use of lethal force in court, anything that deviates from OEM hardware may potentially increase the likelihood of a finding of criminal guilt and/or civil liability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom