• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    To answer the original question, I do not have a rifle round that I bought planning to use for home defense. I know that many people do, but I am personally more comfortable using a shotgun or handgun under stress.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My HD ammo is 55gr JSPs. Misses (unlikely with a carbine with red-dot) break up in the walls and do no damage to neighbors. With my aging eyes, focusing on handguns sights, or iron sights in general, is tough.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Depends on which weapon we're talking about. The only thing I would recommend is to use factory only. No reloads, no special formulas. Stick with what comes out of the box. I've also heard that people have been sued because they used +P ammo. Seems like the dead guy's family thought that was overkill (pun intended). I don't know if they won the case, but it's just something else that you have to worry about.

Here's to never ever, having to explain why you chose that ammo.

147 HST standard pressure. Can't they sue you regardless of whether you killed them with a +P round or a pick axe? They won't likely win but it can be costly for you regardless.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    147 HST standard pressure. Can't they sue you regardless of whether you killed them with a +P round or a pick axe? They won't likely win but it can be costly for you regardless.

Believe it or not, people have been sued for using the Black Talon cartridge because it was deemed the "Cop Killer" round. I think all of the cases revolved around excessive force because they didn't use "standard" rounds.

But as you said, the survivors can sue you for any reason I suppose.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I use FMJ to give them a sporting chance.
    115 grain Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm (forgot to buy Critical Duty at the Frederick show) :(
    175 grain Hornady Critical Duty in .40 (also my carry load usually)
    62 (or 64?) Grain Federal Fusion in .223
    No shotgun they're antiquated.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    10mm 180gr Underwood FMJ. I should probably try some JHP but I don't have any full powered loads yet. The 200gr FMJ would be a second choice right now.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    If I have to get into it immediately: .357 SIG 125GR Speer Bonded Unicore Hollow Points
    If I have time to open the bag on the back of the bedroom door: 30-rounds of 55gr Hornady Z-Max
    If all else fails: Federal 00-buck

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I use FMJ to give them a sporting chance.
    115 grain Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm (forgot to buy Critical Duty at the Frederick show) :(
    175 grain Hornady Critical Duty in .40 (also my carry load usually)
    62 (or 64?) Grain Federal Fusion in .223
    No shotgun they're antiquated.

If you do a mag dump with FMJ's is it really giving them a sporting chance?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Whatever happens to be loaded, in whatever firearm is closest.

4 words: Castle Doctrine, Civil Immunity.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I use 64 -55 grain Gold Dots, I cherish the 64 grain more because they don't make it anymore.
    tvblogshock.png

wait,whAt?
    I consider it perimeter defense. A shotgun just doesn't work well beyond yelling range. I like the 64gr, penetration and such. I wondered why Palmetto wasn't sale'ing the 64's but occasionally had the 55's now. All my "not Geneva convention" carbine rounds were 64. AR hollow/soft point bonded are not easy to find. I like tiny bullets to remain intact through the wound channel.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Rifles.. SHTF/zombies .. from green tip 62, or 69 HP (223) to 168 HP or SP(308).

I don't see foresee myself using rifles inside the house.

I use Federal gold medal match ammo for my 308, in case I need to shoot cars lol

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    To answer the original question, I do not have a rifle round that I bought planning to use for home defense. I know that many people do, but I am personally more comfortable using a shotgun or handgun under stress.

do you buckshot? it has some GRUESOME wounds

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I like the idea of these 50gr frangible soft points for the ar15, in a HD scenario.

I used to use 50 Grain American eagle JHP, but I switched them out for 64 and 55 grain gold dot ammo. I still have a couple hundred in mags though, takes to long. I heard it will leave some horrible wounds but it's not barrier blind. For winter, I would like barrier blind for the heavy jackets etc.. for summer I might just use the JHP in my rifles but Handgun HST all the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom