• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Hey guys 1st time reloader just did 30 223 cartridges with Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT checked everything on every cartridge as I went this is the only one to not pass after resizing, priming, then it failed at seating bullet.

So before I just toss this what could I do with it?
    1027231755.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Check the case for a rough spot. Primer can be saved by carefully decapping. Wear eye protection and go slowly.

Check the gauge for debris.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Check the case for a rough spot. Primer can be saved by carefully decapping. Wear eye protection and go slowly.

Check the gauge for debris.
    Will check the case for a rough spot, gage is clear (I blew it out with the air compressor when I saw this one), and I will look up a few videos on saving a primer.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think if you take out the decapping pin you might just resize it, primer in. I think I toss the primers when I pop them out with the decapper though. John seems to have not had issues above.

You should be able to see it fit in the case guage before you prime and fill it with powder, etc. Did you check your resized cases first on the chamber side before trimming and checking on the mouth side? Maybe one case missed the resizing??

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    If you don't have a kinetic bullet puller (hammer type), this is a good excuse to get one. It won't be the last time you use it.

There can be several reasons for what you're seeing. One fairly common one is brass fired in an out-of-spec chamber such as a military machine gun. A small base sizing die can fix those, although I haven't ran across enough of them to be worth it to invest in a small base die. I guess it depends on where you get your brass.

Then there is always the "if it seats it yeets" philosophy. I don't personally ascribe to that, as I want to know why it won't gauge. But it may fit in your chamber even if it wont gauge. Just don't test if it fits in your chamber by releasing the bolt catch - this could seriously jam it in there.

You can also color the casing with a black magic marker to try to see where it's hitting.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I think if you take out the decapping pin you might just resize it, primer in. I think I toss the primers when I pop them out with the decapper though. John seems to have not had issues above.

You should be able to see it fit in the case guage before you prime and fill it with powder, etc. Did you check your resized cases first on the chamber side before trimming and checking on the mouth side? Maybe one case missed the resizing??
    I dropped every case into the gage at every step but who knows, I got a kinetic puller coming in today

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I dropped every case into the gage at every step but who knows, I got a kinetic puller coming in today

If you've never used one of those you really have to smack the shit out of it several times. I smack it on a wood block. I finally got an actual puller that fits in my press and like it a lot better. Not to mention the bullets were getting their plastic tips deformed when using the kinetic puller.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    If you've never used one of those you really have to smack the shit out of it several times. I smack it on a wood block. I finally got an actual puller that fits in my press and like it a lot better. Not to mention the bullets were getting their plastic tips deformed when using the kinetic puller.
    I understand I will have to use some force to pull it which is fine, it's full metal jacket and for plinking anyways.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    A bullet puller is good to have but In a pinch to pull 1 bullet you can use a fired UNSIZED case slide it down to where the bullet meets the other case mouth evenly or slightly above ( a tad bit lower than in the photo) hold the two horizontal so the bullet doesn't fall in the case. Then bend slightly downward , upward and to the sides until the bullet loosens up and can be plucked with your fingers. .223 don't put up much of a fight and if you take your time it doesn't tear up your bullet.
    Then you reclaim your components. Also depending on your press make sure to block the port the primer comes out to catch it so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle if your gonna reuse it.

GCM56

MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2021
    The Lee Factory Rifle Crimp Die features a carbide sizer, which post-sizes your rifle cartridges while crimping this guarantees that every round will chamber freely, just as it would straight out of the factory. This crimp die accommodates a wide range of ammo even jacketed bullets.

To use the Lee Factory Rifle Crimp Die, all you need to do is adjust the screw to set the desired amount of crimp. This factory crimper is powerful enough to crimp even those bullets that do not have a cannelure.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Another use for a kinetic puller is backing a bullet seated too deep back out some, e.g. if you got a little over aggressive when adjusting your seating die during initial setup.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Another use for a kinetic puller is backing a bullet seated too deep back out some, e.g. if you got a little over aggressive when adjusting your seating die during initial setup.
    Thank you for the tip, some how 1st try I got 2.23 with the seating die so a quarter turn and it was set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom