What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    650 Dillion is a killer press, but very $$
    I guess... depends on your volume. I shoot 7500-10k 9mm a year, which basically means I'm spending as much or more just on reloading components. The press setup amortizes itself pretty quick after that, especially when the reload to retail price spread widens out. It pretty much paid for itself and then some just in 2020.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    650 Dillion is a killer press, but very $$
    It depends on how much you shoot, what your regime is far as
    shooting wise, your return on Investment will be shorter overall.
    As noted above. Dillon 1050's, 1100, Mark XX's etc. if you shoot
    a lot. 3-Gun, Comp, etc.

A used Star, Hollywood, cost some change also. built like tanks
    The Star in 45ACP is one sweet press, even with Hulme case
    feeders. It's one of my go to presses in 45ACP, custom powder
    bushings for W231 / N310

-Rock

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I guess... depends on your volume. I shoot 7500-10k 9mm a year, which basically means I'm spending as much or more just on reloading components. The press setup amortizes itself pretty quick after that, especially when the reload to retail price spread widens out. It pretty much paid for itself and then some just in 2020.
    I do not shoot nearly that amount of ammo. I shoot about 500 40S&W, about 350 45/70, about 200 30/30 and about 450 .500 S&W Mags.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I do not shoot nearly that amount of ammo. I shoot about 500 40S&W, about 350 45/70, about 200 30/30 and about 450 .500 S&W Mags.
    Definitely not worth a progressive. I shoot a few hundred 44 a year and do them single stage.

Do nine and 45 on dillons with a buddy (co own them) as we shoot the same recipes.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, that's the awkward volume where a progressive is helpful but not a requirement. Lee Classic Turret with a reverse ejector worked fairly well for stuff like that for me... Lee APP/ACP up front for initial processing, perhaps. I used to use an RCBS bench mounted primer (on an Inline Fab QD plate) for priming cartridges, which I felt was marginally safer than using a hand primer.

That said, my 650s are probably the best reloading purchases I've ever made, and are the only reason I can shoot in the volume that I currently do.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I started with a single-stage reloading press and decided to bump to progressive. I think for some things, a single stage setup is more than fine - anything for any larger rifle caliber where batches are going to be 50-100, and I think single-stage would be the way to go, mostly for powder charging where each load needs to be trickled to a specific charge weight. With anything else you'll shoot more of - 9mm, 45 ACP, 223, 300 Blackout, etc - I wouldn't want to try to do that bulk of ammo any way other than progressive.

So, what have I been doing lately? I processed about 600 rounds of 223 range pickup - that's always "fun" - not. But, it's better to put in the time to make sure everything is trimmed to length for consistency and to make sure any crimped primer pockets are dealt with.

I also swapped my press back over from 223 so that I could load some 45, and I put together 100 rounds using 185 gr Hornady XTP with 8.1 gr of Power Pistol. It's a stout load, but a few 10ths from max with that bullet - Lyman lists 8.3, Hornady lists up to 8.9.

I finally broke down and bought a second powder measure so that I can leave one set up for rifle with the large powder bar, and the other set for pistol. I already have a quick-change setup for the powder measure so that it quick detaches to move to another tool head, so I personally won't go to the lengths some do by having a dedicated powder measure for every tool head.

I also picked up an inexpensive set of calibration check weights, and I checked them on my Frankford Arsenal electronic scale last night. The FA scale gets a lot of hate in the reloading community, and I'm not really sure why. There are guys who claim it's pure junk, but I've checked mine against a beam scale several times and it always read the same as the beam scale.

This is the set of check weights I picked up.

61BExdsAphL._SX522_.jpg

These were my results according to my FA scale:

.5 gr weight - .5gr
    1 gr weight - 1.0 gr
    2 gr weight - 2.0 gr
    3 gr weight - 3.0 gr
    4 gr weight - 4.0 gr
    5 gr weight - 5.0 gr
    10 gr weight - 10.0 gr
    20 gr weight #1 - 20.0 gr
    20 gr weight #2 - 19.9/20.0 - it fluctuated between the two depending where on the scale it was sitting
    50 gr weight - 50.0 gr
    100 gr weight - 99.9 gr
    200 gr weight - 199.8 gr

I learned that the scale is slightly sensitive to placement. It reads more accurate towards the front that the back, but only by 1/10th of a gr, if at all.

Overall I've been very happy with that little FA scale, and this set of check weights seems to be pretty much on the money. I don't know if the issues with the heavier weights are due to the scale, or if the check weights are slightly off. Because of the heavier weight, they read the same no matter where I placed them on the scale, but if it's the scale, we're talking about 2/10ths of a gr at 200 gr, and all of my loading will be under 100 gr, and most will be under 50, where the scale seems to be very accurate.

I think that the one 20 gr check weight is probably off, but only by a half grain, if even that much.

In any case, I'll continue to use that scale with confidence. It's important to be able to trust your powder scale, and at this point, I fully trust it.

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I started with a single-stage reloading press and decided to bump to progressive. I think for some things, a single stage setup is more than fine - anything for any larger rifle caliber where batches are going to be 50-100, and I think single-stage would be the way to go, mostly for powder charging where each load needs to be trickled to a specific charge weight. With anything else you'll shoot more of - 9mm, 45 ACP, 223, 300 Blackout, etc - I wouldn't want to try to do that bulk of ammo any way other than progressive.

So, what have I been doing lately? I processed about 600 rounds of 223 range pickup - that's always "fun" - not. But, it's better to put in the time to make sure everything is trimmed to length for consistency and to make sure any crimped primer pockets are dealt with.

I also swapped my press back over from 223 so that I could load some 45, and I put together 100 rounds using 185 gr Hornady XTP with 8.1 gr of Power Pistol. It's a stout load, but a few 10ths from max with that bullet - Lyman lists 8.3, Hornady lists up to 8.9.

I finally broke down and bought a second powder measure so that I can leave one set up for rifle with the large powder bar, and the other set for pistol. I already have a quick-change setup for the powder measure so that it quick detaches to move to another tool head, so I personally won't go to the lengths some do by having a dedicated powder measure for every tool head.

I also picked up an inexpensive set of calibration check weights, and I checked them on my Frankford Arsenal electronic scale last night. The FA scale gets a lot of hate in the reloading community, and I'm not really sure why. There are guys who claim it's pure junk, but I've checked mine against a beam scale several times and it always read the same as the beam scale.

This is the set of check weights I picked up.

61BExdsAphL._SX522_.jpg

These were my results according to my FA scale:

.5 gr weight - .5gr
    1 gr weight - 1.0 gr
    2 gr weight - 2.0 gr
    3 gr weight - 3.0 gr
    4 gr weight - 4.0 gr
    5 gr weight - 5.0 gr
    10 gr weight - 10.0 gr
    20 gr weight #1 - 20.0 gr
    20 gr weight #2 - 19.9/20.0 - it fluctuated between the two depending where on the scale it was sitting
    50 gr weight - 50.0 gr
    100 gr weight - 99.9 gr
    200 gr weight - 199.8 gr

I learned that the scale is slightly sensitive to placement. It reads more accurate towards the front that the back, but only by 1/10th of a gr, if at all.

Overall I've been very happy with that little FA scale, and this set of check weights seems to be pretty much on the money. I don't know if the issues with the heavier weights are due to the scale, or if the check weights are slightly off. Because of the heavier weight, they read the same no matter where I placed them on the scale, but if it's the scale, we're talking about 2/10ths of a gr at 200 gr, and all of my loading will be under 100 gr, and most will be under 50, where the scale seems to be very accurate.

I think that the one 20 gr check weight is probably off, but only by a half grain, if even that much.

In any case, I'll continue to use that scale with confidence. It's important to be able to trust your powder scale, and at this point, I fully trust it.
    I have a set of calibration weights from lyman I use them for both my Lyman accu touch and my hornady beam scale. I loaded up some test loads today with Enforcer and H110 for the .500 S&W magnum rounds. I have not used these powders before. I have been trying to diversify my powders. Made some .500 S&W special rounds using titegroup and long shot. they are about .375 shorter than the magnums.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I'm no stranger to casting. I cast bullets as a kid under the direction of my Dad. I'd love to get into it, mainly to feed my pistols, but the reason Dad did it was purely economic - he had easy and cheap/free sources of lead, so it was a no-brainer.

I've tried to source lead here in Central MD, but I haven't had a lot of luck. If lead was cheap and easy like it was in the 70s and 80s, I'd be all over it.
    This is so true. I've just started checking shops, and all the soccer mom shops with waiting rooms like to inform me loudly that "They recycle those metals".. The small shops were all throwing them in the trash :sad20:

I paid a "1 month" visit to the tire shop I left a bucket with. They had about 8gal of used weights for me, I had a workout transferring to buckets light enough to carry.

Grand total after about 2hrs sorting:
    114# of iron and zinc
    51# of lead

It does kill me that the lead to trash ratio is so poor, but I've had much worse (20%) I have another 60# of WW from other shops and roughly 60# from decoys and plumbers that I've collected. I still have to do a final sort between clip-ons and stick-ons for a more consistent BHN. Hoping it'll start getting cool enough to start reducing it down to ignots..

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Yesterday I made a hole in my left index finger the size of a decapping punch. The 45 Colt case has to be guided into the sizing/decapping die because the shell holder doesn't provide much stability due to the slight rim on the 45 Colt. I got a little carried away speed wise with my new InLine Fabrication roller lever on my RCBS JR3. Following that, I loaded 48 rounds of various loads with Clays and some coated 205 & 255 gr bullets which I am trying for the first time. I also got to try out my new Lyman Brass Simith powder measure and trickler. I have the stand for the powder measure but have yet to drill holes in my bench for it. I've been using clamps to try out different locations for it.

The plan for today is to load some 9's on my SDB with it's newly installed roller handle.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    What is the ROI in purchasing a BMW or Saab? The value added is in getting to pilot a fine machine. The same is true with Dillon presses.
    Guess the name like Dillon, BMW or Saab, nah.. definition of "Fine machine" that can be subjective. Everybody's version of fine machine is different, would love to have a P51(D) Mustang..but..My version of "fine machine" to pilot when it comes to cars 57 T-Bird, 63 Split window Coupe, 58 vette, 65 Mustang coupe, Hemi-Cudas, Model"A' / "T's" Have you used any Star reloaders? Hollywoods, Texans. Dillons are just that.. presses, The Area 419 "Zero" reloading press is a fine machine. Just A thought or opinion:)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Definitely not worth a progressive. I shoot a few hundred 44 a year and do them single stage.

Do nine and 45 on dillons with a buddy (co own them) as we shoot the same recipes.
    A lee Classic is a good option though. Fairly inexpensive, hella faster than a single stage. A good progressive with the appropriate feeders is still easily 3x faster. But the Lee classic is an easy 3x faster than a single stage.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A lee Classic is a good option though. Fairly inexpensive, hella faster than a single stage. A good progressive with the appropriate feeders is still easily 3x faster. But the Lee classic is an easy 3x faster than a single stage.
    Tried to like a turret press from lee. Couldn't. And last year they straight pissed me off on a shit qc issue so I'll never buy another thing they make. Too many options to put up with "tech" people who know less than the customer

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Loaded 77 rounds of 32acp.
    Tried to like a turret press from lee. Couldn't. And last year they straight pissed me off on a shit qc issue so I'll never buy another thing they make. Too many options to put up with "tech" people who know less than the customer
    that sucks. So far I’ve just had good experiences with them. They sent me a bunch of free parts for my Lee APP when I ordered them. $0, including shipping. Just spares I was ordering, not replacements (I wanted a spare of all the plastic bits)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I made a ladder of 350 Legend loads today for deer hunting this year. Hopefully I’ll get some range time in next week to try them out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Loaded 77 rounds of 32acp.

that sucks. So far I’ve just had good experiences with them. They sent me a bunch of free parts for my Lee APP when I ordered them. $0, including shipping. Just spares I was ordering, not replacements (I wanted a spare of all the plastic bits)
    Have a few sets of their dies. All over ten years old. Couldn't find Forster FL size die for my buddy's creedmoor to save my ass. Ordered a lee die set. Huge disappointment. Visible cut marks in body/shoulder and neck area actually screwed up cases. No burnishing done at all above mid body. Called lee. The dumbass I talked to actually had to ask me what burnishing was. After talking about the issue with at least three people, I got a story about how the lack of polishing in the neck/shoulder area prevents case stretching. Horseshit. I sent pictures of cases sized in a lee 308 die with no marks, striae, or frosting on them. Next to cases ruined by their new production die. Add in that they ran the damn reamer in too deep and the die wouldn't make minimum headspace tolerance as compared to my headspace gauges. Screw them. I called scott in the Forster service shop (who, by the way, is one smart guy) and begged for a size die. It took a couple weeks but I got (and gladly paid msrp for) a full length sizer and a benchrest seater. I've been buying Forster for years and I think I'll only be buying from them, john Whidden, the Harrell brothers, and maybe redding from now on. QC and service from the big companies has gone to hell. And they don't seem to care because people buy the junk.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Loaded up bunch of cast 200 gr 303 rounds for my Martini last night and went off to the range today with the old girl(s).
    Anyway I let her rip a few off and shes like, I like this rifle can I shoot it more?
    And then I'm like, no. No you may not, get your own.
    And then she says, this is my own.
    So now, I'm down a rifle and a bunch of hand loaded ammo it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom