• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    While it’s technically never finished… my AR is at a point now where I am happy and accurate with it. I mounted a vortex Sparc 2 red dot was happy then mounted a Redfield Revenge 3-9X42 scope and decided that I need to put the scope on a longer gun. I started messing around with one of my two Mosins and got to the point where I realized that by the time I dump the money into the crowning tools, scope mounts, and bolt mods I could just buy a modern rifle. So now I am here and can’t decide what to do.

My gun club does regular 2 gun shoots and trap shoots at AGC and I want to participate but only have the AR and 1 working Mosin. I have done my research and have narrowed my choices down to guns that I can be all around useful (Home defense, Hunting, Target shooting) but for the time I can only do one or the other. So I wanted to get some input. Which should I get next?

Springfield XD40: I like the point and shoot concept, good reviews, and the ability to drop in a 9mm barrel. I used to have an M&P9 but sold it because I wanted to get a 40. I would get another M&P but due to Maryland restrictions I am having a hard time finding the gun I want online for the price I am looking for since most wont ship the gun if it has more than a 10 round mag.

Remington 700 SPS tactical .308: I love, love, love, shooting my Mosin! I recently did a 200 yard steel shoot and my scoped AR did fine but the Mosin just moves that steel so much more lol. The problem is that it would have been a lot more fun with a scope for the smaller targets. Rather than shelling out $300 to scope my Mosin I would rather get a modern long gun and mount my Redfield to it.

Remington 870 express 12 or 20 gauge 28” barrel: I have very little experience with shotguns. Growing up I had a break action .410 that I would plink around with but all of my adult firearm experience has been with the military, long guns, and hand guns. However the gun club has trap shooting events all the time and sounds fun but I don’t have a shotgun so I never go.

I still want to finish my Mosins I am sporterizing one and restoring the other but those are side projects for self-teaching myself gun smithing.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Wow, that's a heckuva first post. Welcome to the forum. If you already have a handgun, mosin, and AR then my vote goes to a shotgun!

b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    LOL, I have been a long time lurker. I sold my hand gun pre SB (still kicking myself) but have since reluctantly got an HQL (thanks to all the useful info here).

b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    It sounds like you should be looking for a trap gun.

Do you have any input on shotguns? I would like to get something that is all around useful and not task specific. I feel the 870 is tried and proven and that a 28" barrel is a good compromise in length vs portability. I could take it to the range for target practice, hunt with it, and keep it behind the door.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    In light of that last post, my recommendation would be to get a handgun. Before you make a final decision on a purchase, you should try to go to a range that rents guns and try a few different models out. You may read reviews that make a pistol sound like the one best must-have gun in the world, but then find you don't like the way it fits your hand or hate the trigger. After that, I would spend some time, money, and effort (emphasis on the time and effort) getting some training and learning to use the tools you collect.

b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    In light of that last post, my recommendation would be to get a handgun. Before you make a final decision on a purchase, you should try to go to a range that rents guns and try a few different models out. You may read reviews that make a pistol sound like the one best must-have gun in the world, but then find you don't like the way it fits your hand or hate the trigger. After that, I would spend some time, money, and effort (emphasis on the time and effort) getting some training and learning to use the tools you collect.

Good advice! I am very lucky in that I get to train and learn with some of the best at work. I agree 100%, a tool is useless if you dont know how to use it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Do you have any input on shotguns? I would like to get something that is all around useful and not task specific. I feel the 870 is tried and proven and that a 28" barrel is a good compromise in length vs portability. I could take it to the range for target practice, hunt with it, and keep it behind the door.

I am not much of a shotgunner. I have several that I shoot just for fun. If you decide on a shotgun, you could post a thread in our shotgun forum and many knowledgeable people will help you out.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Think about an M1 Garand, .30-06 or .308. Own a piece of history compete in CMP shoots (.30-06 only). There are several threads in the C&R section of the forum.

Link to the CMP Sales page, the CMP is the best place to buy a M1 Garand.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

I started short range and worked out. A hand gun because they are most likely to be closer at hand when trouble this way comes. I do like shotguns. I started with semi-auto because of the reduction in recoil and the wicked way they can lay down a barrage. Now setting up an 870 for hunting and a pistol grip for fun and "close encounters". If I could justify it, I'd like a Super Black Eagle, but a 28" barrel for my M2 makes more sense even having to plug or remove the extended mag. So I'd say go for both but hand guns ask for less accessorizing.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    While it’s technically never finished… my AR is at a point now where I am happy and accurate with it. I mounted a vortex Sparc 2 red dot was happy then mounted a Redfield Revenge 3-9X42 scope and decided that I need to put the scope on a longer gun. I started messing around with one of my two Mosins and got to the point where I realized that by the time I dump the money into the crowning tools, scope mounts, and bolt mods I could just buy a modern rifle. So now I am here and can’t decide what to do.

My gun club does regular 2 gun shoots and trap shoots at AGC and I want to participate but only have the AR and 1 working Mosin. I have done my research and have narrowed my choices down to guns that I can be all around useful (Home defense, Hunting, Target shooting) but for the time I can only do one or the other. So I wanted to get some input. Which should I get next?

Springfield XD40: I like the point and shoot concept, good reviews, and the ability to drop in a 9mm barrel. I used to have an M&P9 but sold it because I wanted to get a 40. I would get another M&P but due to Maryland restrictions I am having a hard time finding the gun I want online for the price I am looking for since most wont ship the gun if it has more than a 10 round mag.

Remington 700 SPS tactical .308: I love, love, love, shooting my Mosin! I recently did a 200 yard steel shoot and my scoped AR did fine but the Mosin just moves that steel so much more lol. The problem is that it would have been a lot more fun with a scope for the smaller targets. Rather than shelling out $300 to scope my Mosin I would rather get a modern long gun and mount my Redfield to it.

Remington 870 express 12 or 20 gauge 28” barrel: I have very little experience with shotguns. Growing up I had a break action .410 that I would plink around with but all of my adult firearm experience has been with the military, long guns, and hand guns. However the gun club has trap shooting events all the time and sounds fun but I don’t have a shotgun so I never go.

I still want to finish my Mosins I am sporterizing one and restoring the other but those are side projects for self-teaching myself gun smithing.

Right now you can get an M&P 10 .308 AR pattern rifle for about 1000 dollars delivered.

They shoot like the dickens

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and are you thinking XD or XDM?

I'd frankly go with the XD, when they streamlined the design for the XDM they shaved off slide material that leaves some areas a little thin for my taste. Both are good guns though, and their nitriding is very very well done. XDs are among some of the finest machined handguns I've had the pleasure to own and shoot. I've never held one that didn't have a polished shiny feed ramp and a barrel lockup that was not just solid, but ROCK solid, some semi autos can wiggle the barrel as much as a mm side to side when in battery. Try to do that with an XD the next time you hold one.

Anyways, I love the guns, I am a huge fan.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Out of those I would say get the 870 first. Get a combo with a longer smooth bore barrel and a shorter smooth bore for home defense or a rifled barrel for hunting. The 20 gauge 870's are sweet shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom