What happens to pending SBR if a ban passes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Habrok

Mar 9, 2010
    Sorry if this is already a topic somewhere.

What happens if you buy or bought a complete SBR and your forms are pending when/if a ban is passed due to all this madness? I figure maybe someone ran into this issue during the last AWB and can shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was wondering about that, too. The good news is that it's kinda unlikely this will happen; the last attempt at an AWB in MD had fairly generous time limits.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Your SBR will have to be neutered.

meaning no evil features like pistol grips,flash hiders, threaded muzzles, folding or collasible stocks, bayonet lugs, detachable mags...blah blah.

I actually built an SBR during the last AWB.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I guess it all depends on what is put in. Its just hard to say until you see the law...

Likely nothing. As an SBR, it will not be considered an Assault rifle by MD more than likly. Just like you can't own a Mac pistol but the SBR and MG are fine...

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    I guess it all depends on what is put in. Its just hard to say until you see the law...

Likely nothing. As an SBR, it will not be considered an Assault rifle by MD more than likly. Just like you can't own a Mac pistol but the SBR and MG are fine...

Really? Well, that would be an excuse to by almost exclusively SBR's after a ban

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As an SBR, it will not be considered an Assault rifle by MD more than likly. Just like you can't own a Mac pistol but the SBR and MG are fine...
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The reason that you can own a Mac-11 in SBR or AOW format is that it's no longer a pistol (in the eyes of the MSP?), and the statute only prohibits semi-auto pistols. Unless the AWB language specifically exempts NFA firearms, their only protection is going to be from grandfathering. There is no magical federal NFA exemption, as anyone from a ban state can tell you.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

meaning no evil features like pistol grips,flash hiders, threaded muzzles, folding or collasible stocks, bayonet lugs, detachable mags...blah blah.

If you were SBRing an existing rifle, that was grandfathered in prior to any ban; you should be able to SBR it without interference, shouldn't you? Unless legislation gets passed that forbids any further SBRs.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The reason that you can own a Mac-11 in SBR or AOW format is that it's no longer a pistol (in the eyes of the MSP?), and the statute only prohibits semi-auto pistols. Unless the AWB language specifically exempts NFA firearms, their only protection is going to be from grandfathering. There is no magical federal NFA exemption, as anyone from a ban state can tell you.

Yeah like I said, its how its written. As SBR is not an Assault rifle (according to MD). So if they ban Assault Rifles, just like they have Assault Pistols... I think my logic is ok that it may not cover SBRs or MGs... until we see how its written, its really just a guess...

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

What if you already have it purchased and you are just waiting on the stamp (form 4) not a build? I am thinking it should be fine because it was in that state prior to the ban, therefore grandfathered in!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    If you were SBRing an existing rifle, that was grandfathered in prior to any ban; you should be able to SBR it without interference, shouldn't you? Unless legislation gets passed that forbids any further SBRs.

I was told to get raid of SBRs it would take an act of Congress, so it is not likely!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was told to get raid of SBRs it would take an act of Congress, so it is not likely!

Aren't there some States that do not allow you to have NFA stuff? MD could stop allowing them. Remember, you need CLEO sign off. They could stop that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Aren't there some States that do not allow you to have NFA stuff? MD could stop allowing them. Remember, you need CLEO sign off. They could stop that.
    Absolutely. The good news is, SB516, the previous AWB bill, didn't try to do that. No reference at all to short-barreled rifles/shotguns.

Speaking of which, here's my analysis on SB516 and SBR/SBSs:

It is also not entirely obvious to me whether SB516 would apply to SBRs and SBSs. Maryland code references SBRs and SBSs as being handguns. SB516 spends a lot of time talking about pistols, but not handguns. Pistols are included under handguns in MD code, but the MSP has also been telling FFLs that they don't think SBRs and SBSs are pistols (which is a sensible interpretation; SBRs and SBSs are their own thing in code). Code is also clear that you can be a rifle or a handgun, but not both. Unfortunately, "assault long guns" are what the currently regulated guns are; unless the MSP suddenly starts ruling that SBRs aren't copies, that's something of a problem for everyone with an AR-15 SBR. OTOH, even that part of the law is somewhat less than obvious; it seems to imply you can't be a handgun and on that list, as it separates the two out. I think the intent of the list was to avoid SBRs, but it doesn't do it explicitly, so again, we're back to MSP interpretation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Again, there are States which are not NFA friendly. MD could become one.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Pretty sure you don't have to fill out Maryland Regulated Firearm Form when you buy a SBR, just the federal forms. At least it was that way for my MG, plus the MG registration.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Pretty sure you don't have to fill out Maryland Regulated Firearm Form when you buy a SBR, just the federal forms. At least it was that way for my MG, plus the MG registration.

Your right, purchasing an SBR doesn't have anything to do with Maryland especially if you are using a trust!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What if you already have it purchased and you are just waiting on the stamp (form 4) not a build? I am thinking it should be fine because it was in that state prior to the ban, therefore grandfathered in!

when I built one during the last AWB.. the BATFE technology branch told me that on a form 1. would constitute " new manufacturing" therefore the laws that exist at that time would apply, even with a pre- ban lower.

with that. I built one on a " Ban era lower". It had a 11.5" barrel, pinned compensator, tele stock pinned and epoxied in the mid- position( fixed) to make it AWB compliant.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    when I built one during the last AWB.. the BATFE technology branch told me that on a form 1. would constitute " new manufacturing" therefore the laws that exist at that time would apply, even with a pre- ban lower.

with that. I built one on a " Ban era lower". It had a 11.5" barrel, pinned compensator, tele stock pinned and epoxied in the mid- position( fixed) to make it AWB compliant.
    Ugh. I woke up next to girls in college that looked better than that rifle sounds....

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

Okay, let me make this even clearer. I have a KRISS SBR that I am waiting on the paper work for (form 4). This gun should be fine, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom