• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    When you call 911 make sure that your voice is frantic and that you keep saying that you ARE SCARED. Keep saying that you ARE AFRAID for your life. Say only that someone broke into your home. DO NOT SAY that you shot the intruder. DO NOT SAY that you have a gun. Just frantically repeat that EMS is needed immediately. If your 911 call ends up sounding like "Send the cops, I just blew some creep's head off of his body and into the next county." then you'll go down for "lying in wait" and "viciously murdering a misguided youngster who was trying to support his 18 illegitimate kids with 18 different baby mommas and you nipped his budding career as a rap artist just as he was turninghis life around." Keep emphasizing that YOU are the injured party here. YOU were the one being ATTACKED. And like the other guys said, call your lawyer FIRST and make sure that he's on the way. When the authorities get there, say nothing other than how this entire incident has upset you and that you are suffering from CHEST PAINS at this time. ADMIT nothing, SAY nothing. Let your lawyer do the talking for you.

I disagree... Don't say anything... Leave the phone off the hook and wait to hear the sirens. Then hang up the phone, leave nothing on the recording.

Mark

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    I'm curious then is there a database or listing of personal defense lawyers in MD? Seems like it may be valuable to have a number or two lined up to call.
    seriously. would help to know who's firearm-friendly before calling anyone.
    personally if this were to ever happen to me there would be plenty of people to call both 911 and lawyers. i think i'd probably be calling my mommy. and then my landlords.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's important and paramount to get help.

If someone broke into your house and shot them 911 needs to go.

If you fail to see how this is important you need to re-evalute things. You calling into 911 and leaving an open line might lead to a 10-15 minute dispatch time. That's 10-15 minutes you are covering a target and possibly dealing with other suspects outside who just heard someone get shot.

Call 911. Give them basic information so the right help arrives in a timely fashion. Plus 911 is likely to give you instructions so you arent standing there armed when police arrive. Again logical.

I'm not a laywer.

djleepanda

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2011
    Elkridge
    So basically if your life is in danger and you decide to shoot, it will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and be treated as a criminal. Oh, and they probably take your firearms away.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    LEO's can pipe in here, but from what I understand, when they are involved with a shooting, they are given at least a 24 hr cooling off period (after all you just potentially or actually killed a human being) before saying anything.

I've heard that a good strategy is to say that you have chest pains (you probably would anyways due to extreme stress and pumped up) and have the rescue squad take you to hospital (remember delay in speaking, get out of there (rescue squad), and have your lawyer respond for you).

Bernie

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Be realistic.

Call 911 first.

This isnt a movie..and you arent Rambo. Get help for the suspect.

Ummm, expecting me to have enough sympathy for the suspect to care about them would be a mistake. Anyone who would break into my house and threatens my life or my family should expect no quarter.

It's not a game and I am not there to help them once they've been shot.

Like I said, saving his life is NOT my priority. Protecting myself and my interests comes first. The "suspect" can call 911 any time they wish.

It's important and paramount to get help. <- Who is it important for?

Mark

BerettaMan

Mar 27, 2011
    Harford county
    I took a criminal justice class back in college and the professor, who happened to be a retired police officer, told us that in a situation like this it is imperative that you express to the officers showing up that you felt like your life and the lives of your family were in immediate and eminent danger. I would like to think that justice would prevail and the person protecting his/her self/family would be found to be using self defense, but hey, maybe I live in a bubble.

The professor also told us that if you shoot the person in the back, the intruder turned around when you fired.

Hopefully no one will ever find themselves in a situation like this, but if we are at least we have the means to defend those we love.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as a matter of practice or law, does anyone know if the cops automatically take your gun (and possibly other guns even if not used in the incident) for some sort of testing or the like?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's important for your defense. I personally do not care about the personal well being of someone who put me in fear of my life.

But it's much easier for your attorney to handle a case if you acted like a "normal concerned citizen" afterwards as opposed to making zero initial statements, calling a laywer before 911 (they will likely get your phone records), and not keeping people guessing with vague 911 calls.

I'll respect the time and effort you've spend regarding criminal and civil aspects of the law. But I'll have to disagree about the way your suggestions here.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Be realistic.

Call 911 first.

This isnt a movie..and you arent Rambo. Get help for the suspect.

This. It is the moral thing to do.

But I’ll add one more thing. If you delay in calling the authorities people will think something is up. Case in point:

July 18th 1960: Senator Edward Kennedy (married) leaves a party with (unmarried) Mary Jo Kopechne. He famously drives off the bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, MA at about 12:30-12:45 AM.

After he abandons her in the car, Kennedy walks past not one, not two, not three, but four houses on his way back that have a phone. He did not stop and report the incident to authorities.

He returns to the party. He does not call the authorities.

He then returns to the scene with two friends who insist that he must call the authorities. He does not call the authorities - but promises to call the authorities upon his return to the hotel.

Kennedy testifies later that he then swam 500’ across the channel, returned to his hotel room in Edgartown – but does not call the authorities. Instead he changes clothes and goes to bed.

At 2:55 AM Kennedy goes downstairs, and speaks to the owner to complain of being awoken by a noisy party … and does not call the authorities.

7:30 AM the next morning Kennedy is up and talking with others about the winners of a sailing race the previous day. He does not call the authorities.

8:00 AM Kennedy returns to the scene of the accident with those same two friends and he makes a series of phone calls from a nearby pay phone. All were to friends asking for advice. None of the calls were to the authorities.

While still at the payphone, Kennedy learns that the body has been discovered. He does not use the pay phone to call the authorities even then.

(Mary Jo had been discovered at 8:20 AM by fishermen – who immediately contacted the authorities, who in turn had contacted professional divers. The divers discovered her body in a large trapped air pocket within the vehicle. Later testimony suggests that had the authorities been called and responded immediately after the accident, that perhaps she might have survived on the trapped air long enough to have been rescued. We’ll never know for sure of course.)

Despite that knowledge, Kennedy still delays *two more hours* until 10:00 to notify authorities – and even then only via a dictated statement to his aide Paul Markham, and only after a couple of more phone calls first at the police station!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident

An extreme example to be sure, but I reminded everyone of that to illustrate how fishy it looks to not immediately call the authorities. You're not helping your credibility by the delay.

Now if you are a Democrat from Massachusetts and your name is Kennedy you can get away with stuff like this. For the rest of us chumps – I advise calling the police first so that appropriate first responders have a chance to do the right thing.

z_darktemplar

Mar 19, 2011
    Rockville
    I have a question about calling your lawyer. I know some people have a personal lawyer they know and retain but I don't have one like that. So would would finding a random criminal defense attorney be ok?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a question about calling your lawyer. I know some people have a personal lawyer they know and retain but I don't have one like that. So would would finding a random criminal defense attorney be ok?

Right off the bat...sure. They will likely come and tell you not to say anything.

Of course once it gets time to defend you and run a trail if needed you want a respected and known attorney.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Make sure to add that you were retreating when you fired your shots in defense.

Unless of course you werent.

You can legally justify defending yourself and approaching an enemy.

I wouldnt start adding things to any story that you think "makes it sound better" for you.

If your justified great. If it's a gray area hopefully you can articulate.

If the police get there and it isnt adding up a high qualifed re-constructionist can disaprove ALOT of things in your story.

Let's not forget the kid in the city last year. Defending himself with a sword nearly severing limbs. Did not do a minute in jail, was not arrested, and no criminal trial.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    if I shoot someone in my home, I am locking myself armed in the bedroom and calling 911 telling them that people just broke into my house and tried to assualt me/family. I fired some shots at them and retreated to my bedroom and locked myself in there and reload my gun in case there are others that try and harm me. I am not disarming myself until you tell me there is a policeman at my bedroom door and wants me to come out because I am a scared there are bad guys still around.

PS -- if you call 911 in a situation like this they ARE going to do everything in their power to keep you on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom