What has the worst recoil that you've ever shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Had a 12 gauge single shot Beretta that would turn you shoulder black and blue after 2 shots. My Dad got reloads from the secret service we shot rabbit hunting I always hoped for a light load.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Not that's it is"bad"I just never liked the .40 Glock! My .45acp shield is fine. All my .45acp are fine, my 9mm are fine, just something about the "feel" of .40 recoil never liked.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Wussies......Now here's some recoil

Attachments

• punt-gun.jpg
      punt-gun.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 134

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    I have shot just about every big bore magnum handgun there is but the worst was an early TC Contender Super 14 in 44 mag with the old style grip. 2 shots off the bench with PMC 180 grain jammed my wrist bad, I still feel it today. Best to shoot heavy recoiling handguns (and rifles) off the bench so the impulse does not come straight back!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Not that's it is"bad"I just never liked the .40 Glock! My .45acp shield is fine. All my .45acp are fine, my 9mm are fine, just something about the "feel" of .40 recoil never liked.

I actually really like .40 and don't mind the recoil signature. That said, one magazine through a Glock 27 was more than enough to convince me that I didn't need one. I dont have big hands but I felt there wasn't enough grip available to manage the recoil on fast follow-up shots.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    When I was about 10 yrs old, my dad and I were at the range (oh yeah, my brothers were there, too...) and some guy a few lanes down had what sounded like a cannon. Turns out that the guy (George) was a friend of my dad and he said that I was welcome to shoot his .41 Mag (I believe it was a model 58) with a 4" bbl. My dad said that he would be shocked if I could shoot 6 rounds out of that gun. Not knowing much about 'stance' or 'grip' (and seeing as I was just coming off of shooting "my" .22 small-frame Llama), it was quite the shock, but I held on for dear life and fired all 6. That thing wounded my soul.

It's still broken, btw.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The worst recoiling hand gun that I have shot is my Thompson Center Encore in .308 Win., it kicks like a mule.
    Shooting it with the .243 barrel is still a handfull, but not as painful.
    As far as a rifle, a friend's Mosin carbine in 7.62X54 is the worst recoiling rifle I've ever shot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    .45/70 Coast Guard Commemorative Line gun. Had a medallion in the butt plate and you could have made them for about a week from the imprint in my shoulder!!!

Back story: I was at a MD Fire Rescue Institute Water Rescue Short Course in College Park. There was an 8' chain link fence across the back of the training grounds. There was a 20' wide vehicle gate (two 10' panels) in the fence. We using using a .22 line gun and the object was to put the line as close to where the two gates met as possible. After observing the several people in front of me hit the hinge side of the gate to the left, I held on the hinge side to the right, and laid the line right between the two panels. To which the instructor replied "You Win"!!! Now when Boots Raynor told you "You Win" it was definitely fixing to get interesting and not necessarily in a fun way......I was handed the bolt action 45/70 with the advice "Hold it tight and you won't need any windage". I took aim at the center of the gate and cut it loose. Damn!!! It launched it's .45 cal by 12"-15" long brass rod with the pull string attached straight over the middle of the gate. Boots laughed at me "....and that was the lightest load!!!"

P.S. to those who are unaware, Edwin "Boots" Raynor was a long time Chief at Rivera Beach VFD and led their team to the International Rescue Association's World Championship in the late 60s. He died in the line of duty in the early 80s. Yes, Edwin Raynor Blvd. in the 'Dena is named for him.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

RIP Boots!

I was a member of Rivera Beach VFD when Boots was Chief great guy. When Edwin Raynor passed the fire service lost not only a great chief but also an excellent instructor in heavy rescue, he taught many classes over the years and I am sure his students have saved many lives so his legacy lives on.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I haven't shot it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be this. 700gr out of a 6" S&W 500.

Attachments

• 1643058690548235760206071810805.jpg
      1643058690548235760206071810805.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 92

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hope it has a muzzle brake. Flip side of that coin, loaded to equivalent power levels aslighter bullets, heavier bullets are typically softer shooting. Loaded to max levels…it will be fun.

Heavier bullets should be heavier recoil, it’s that whole “equal and opposite reaction” thing. Trust the science :innocent0

The larger mass going thataway, means the equal force going thisaway. I think, but then I went to public school.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Heavier bullets should be heavier recoil, it’s that whole “equal and opposite reaction” thing. Trust the science :innocent0

The larger mass going thataway, means the equal force going thisaway. I think, but then I went to public school.

Not if loaded to equal power factors. Shooting steel or action this is a technique some shooters use to run the gun flatter. Net recoil will equal but the manner in which it is generated is different.

Your load is with a bullet 2x the weight so that is a huge difference, I understand that. Lets us know how it works out.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    The worst I can remember was years ago when I was shooting Activ 3” mag slugs from my Winchester 120 slug gun. That beat the crap out of me and convinced me to shoot 2 3/4 slugs ever since. Other memorables are a 375 H&H mag bolt gun that a buddies father owned. A TC Contender pistol in 308 was not something that I would want to shoot every day. I am not all that recoil sensitive, but I also have not shot my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun with some of the badass bear loads yet. The Hornady Leverevolutions aren’t all that bad. My S&W 629 3” with 44 mags is not unmanageable but would not start a new shooter with it. Throws one hell of a fireball like the picture below!

Attachments

• 0DE32422-E2E9-4D3A-932D-E52396D88C2D.jpeg
      0DE32422-E2E9-4D3A-932D-E52396D88C2D.jpeg
      29.8 KB · Views: 74
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar