• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I was out adjusting the sight on my PS90 on Thursday and after sighting, played with my self healing prairie dog target. The target is rated for .22's and anything not too high caliber, so I figure 5.7 and .223 are ok for it. I did get some .22 hits on it prior with a revolver at 20 or so yards ( hard as hell to do LOL- sight might need adjusting- it is adjustable). The PD target spins when hit with a .22.

So I shoot at it a bunch of times with the PS90, at about 25 yds but it never moves. I go up close to examine and there are a couple tiny pinholes that weren't there before. Hmmm. So I move to 20 yards and do a few more shots. Still no movement, but upon close exam, there are more tiny holes. I can't tell where anything went through my target board behind it due to it being full of holes already. But the sandy backstop had no signs of disturbance behind it where I was shooting at. So even if I was off by a couple inches, the backstop would have shown fresh holes and toss around. I decide that the tight grouping of pinholes that weren't there before have to be from the 5.7 ammo. I used AE FMJ. Now keep in mind I can barely see the target with the green dot over it at that distance. The green dot is fairly big in good daylight. FN green fiber optic sight. So that was some good shooting! I think... What do you think? I'm thinking the hit is at 2000+ fps but the material of this target slows it waaaaay down, so when it exits it has the velocity of a bb? I am confused! PD target is only about 3" wide by 9" tall, not very big.

Attachments

• PS90prairiedogtargeta.jpg
      PS90prairiedogtargeta.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 698
    • PS90prairiedogtargetb.jpg
      PS90prairiedogtargetb.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 755

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'll try it again and put a fresh paper burst target behind it. Then I will dig in the backstop for the bullets, which are probably on the surface LOL. If they didn't frag, but with FMJ, not sure if they would. The FN v-max and lead free HP sure do when you hit a fox with it!

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Those tiny holes are from the 5.7

They are moving so fast they just zip right through the rubber without dumping energy.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Those tiny holes are from the 5.7

They are moving so fast they just zip right through the rubber without dumping energy.

But if they don't dump energy, why no mess in my sand backstop behind it? It looked undisturbed!

I may have named the property Black Hole of Elkton appropriately! Really, it's supposed to be a joke!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Agreed with the zipping through. 223 will do the same with those self healing targets - quite boring shooting those with anything pointy, as that's whatcha get. Ya hit it - just don't expect any reaction.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    But if they don't dump energy, why no mess in my sand backstop behind it? It looked undisturbed!

I may have named the property Black Hole of Elkton appropriately! Really, it's supposed to be a joke!

Put a fresh paper target behind it, you will see the holes.

As for backstop, was it dry sand? Water it so the sand doesn't re-settle should see disturbance then.

It's moving at 2300-2800 FPS.... And rather pointy bullet, slips through the air.... And anything it hits. Not going to slow down for a thin piece of rubber, plywood, and surface of some sand. I imagine you are going to have to dig pretty deep to find the bullet.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The backstop material was disturbed from me shooting at a paper target a foot or so away, with same PS90 and same exact 5.7 round. Granted, I am sure to have missed the pd target a few times.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm inclined to say that the 5.7 did expend all its energy on the target and failed to maintain velocity to punch through the backstop.

This is the main reason I like the ps90 for HD role. limited penetration flesh like substances. the same round penetrates deeper on harder objects such as car doors , walls etc. it's acting like a varmint round. Which is excellent for HD.

YouTube the bullet proof gummy bear. a five lb gummy bear can actually stop a 45, 22wmr, even slowed down a wax slug from a 12g at point blank range. I'm thinking that your targets react similarly.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    MAC did video of round zipping through body armor-

I go back and forth on selling it, but after seeing the end of that vid, wow, maybe I won't sell my PMR-30 after all.

I always will wonder what it'd be like to have a true "poor man's FN Five Seven" in the form of a PMR-30 in 17HMR

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom