• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Daniel Defense sells a barrel, on its built long guns anyway, which is their HBAR. It has a 'Government Profile' which means it is not a light pencil barrel. Looked at the carbine in person...you could see the contour through the handguard. That is the heavy barrel the military used on the A1 upgrade to the M4. If I am incorrect...let me know.
    The Daniel Defense S2W bbl is (was???---not sure if they still produce/offer it) their heavy barrel option several years ago. They wouldn't tell you that this made it MD legal over the phone-- but it was part of their marketing description on their website. Can't speak to the "government profile" but unless DD describes it as heavy barrel in writing somewhere I'd be hesitant.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Apparently Maryland approved it. Not sure what the wording was...I was looking for the info online. I do not recall the model of the carbine.

For a difference of 6.5 ounces it doesn't cause me lose any sleep. There is a pound more on an HBAR than a lightweight barrel.

Last edited:

grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    Apparently Maryland approved it. Not sure what the wording was...I was looking for the info online. I do not recall the model of the carbine.

For a difference of 6.5 ounces it doesn't cause me lose any sleep. There is a pound more on an HBAR than a lightweight barrel.
    Isn't this ridiculous that a bunch of responsible citizens are dancing around a bunch of ambiguous laws created by people who don't have the slightest idea what they are passing laws about. I wonder how many criminals spend this amount of time trying to figure out if their guns are legal or not.

I think if the MD State government wanted to protect the law abiding they would clarify the law so we wouldn't have to dance around it.

I need to point out that all of my discussions with the MSP have been exteemly positive. They "for the most part" are not anti-gun! They have always given me very good and helpful advice to get through the weirdness here in this state. I have absolutely no problem with them (at this time) because my local police "advised us to arm ourselves". Even in an ULTRA liberal state like MD (4th in the USA for Liberal) we have sherriffs that know they can't protect us all the time.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Call or go see Brian tonight at SCSG, he usually has AR lowers in stock. With better prices than the GS in Mt. Airy.

We will be open this week on Wednesday 5/31/23 from 5pm-8pm, stop on by and see us! Some specials this week:
    H&K P200SK 9mm New $625.00
    Taurus TX-22 .22lr New $235.00
    Dickenson 12ga home defense 12ga New $175.00
    Delton Inc AR-10 .308 New $849.00
    Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite #43945 New $475.00
    Glock 26Gen5 9mm New $495.00
    Glock 26Gen3 9mm New $475.00
    Glock 47 9mm New $575.00

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Isn't this ridiculous that a bunch of responsible citizens are dancing around a bunch of ambiguous laws created by people who don't have the slightest idea what they are passing laws about. I wonder how many criminals spend this amount of time trying to figure out if their guns are legal or not.

I think if the MD State government wanted to protect the law abiding they would clarify the law so we wouldn't have to dance around it.

I need to point out that all of my discussions with the MSP have been exteemly positive. They "for the most part" are not anti-gun! They have always given me very good and helpful advice to get through the weirdness here in this state. I have absolutely no problem with them (at this time) because my local police "advised us to arm ourselves". Even in an ULTRA liberal state like MD (4th in the USA for Liberal) we have sherriffs that know they can't protect us all the time.
    I agree. Let's see...let the rioters burn down buildings, they;re just kids.

No! Peaceful responsible law abiding background checked citizens with legal concealed firearms doesn't allow us to maintain the monopoly on protection (power)!

Last edited:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I was hoping someone would say that. I will see what lowers our local shop has available. I'm pretty sure they won't stock magazines or ammo for it, but I'm sure I can find them on line if not locally. This is not intended for self defense. I mainly wanted an AR style rifle to plink with and if I decide to go hunting one day (since I'm approaching 70 I will have to decide soon) it can work for that too.

6.5 Grendel is a really expensive round for plinking. Do you reload?

I think hbar exemptions were carved out to take the teeth out of fsa2013. It's the main firearm the antis were looking to ban and the only real "assault" rifle that wasn't banned. How ironic!

grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    6.5 Grendel is a really expensive round for plinking. Do you reload?

I think hbar exemptions were carved out to take the teeth out of fsa2013. It's the main firearm the antis were looking to ban and the only real "assault" rifle that wasn't banned. How ironic!
    I don't reload and I know the 6.5 Grendel is more expensive than 223 but I bought several boxes about 5 years ago when I bought the upper. The price I paid back then was about half of what it costs now. The Wolf steel cased ammo isn't too expensive but I need to see how it behaves for me. It gets mixed reviews. The problem with 223/5.56 ammo is that you can't use it to hunt deer in MD. I currently don't hunt but I come from a family of hunters. My father, brothers and a sister hunts. So do 2 of my brothers-in-law. One of my brother's daughters hunt too. He bought her a 410 shotgun for her 7th birthday (they don't live in MD). With a Grendel it would be suited for hunting if I change my mind.

Most of my plinking is done with a .177 RWS pellet rifle and .22LR Ruger & Henry. I have a pellet capable range in my yard and use the .22LR at the range.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Not really. When the “banned” list in FSA2013 was previously a regulated list (established in the 1990s), HBAR AR-15s were exempted from it because marksmenship programs did not want to go through the extra hoops that govern Regulated Firearms, and at the time, MGA listened to them. When the Regulated list became a banned list in 2013, MGA apparently didn’t consider the loophole that they were creating. (And they’re clearly ignorant about what it means. I’m sure most legislators to this day have no idea how many holes exist in FSA 2013 compared to any other state AWB in the U.S.)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not really. When the “banned” list in FSA2013 was previously a regulated list (established in the 1990s), HBAR AR-15s were exempted from it because marksmenship programs did not want to go through the extra hoops that govern Regulated Firearms, and at the time, MGA listened to them. When the Regulated list became a banned list in 2013, MGA apparently didn’t consider the loophole that they were creating. (And they’re clearly ignorant about what it means. I’m sure most legislators to this day have no idea how many holes exist in FSA 2013 compared to any other state AWB in the U.S.)
    WRT the original HBAR requirement; I found a reference (which I need to find again and this time bookmark) that explains the history behind that. Apparently, there was a Colt exec in the early 90's that convinced the Dems in MGA that the Colt HBAR Sporter was a recreational rifle, and not an assault rifle, and there fore should not be banned. And then as Matt explained above, the whole thing just carried over from the 1994 ban to the 2013 ban.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Well IMO if the MD GA got questioned about the HBAR exception some left wing democrat would quickly introduce a bill to ban HBARs. To me it's more to our advantage that the GA is uneducated or our gun laws would be even worse.

Look how fast the GA moved to screw CC permit holders when Hogan dropped the Good and Substantial due to the SC ruling.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    WRT the original HBAR requirement; I found a reference (which I need to find again and this time bookmark) that explains the history behind that. Apparently, there was a Colt exec in the early 90's that convinced the Dems in MGA that the Colt HBAR Sporter was a recreational rifle, and not an assault rifle, and there fore should not be banned. And then as Matt explained above, the whole thing just carried over from the 1994 ban to the 2013 ban.

Huh, interesting, I didn't know that Colt got involved. My understanding had been that it was local shooting associations that convinced MGA in the 1990s that HBAR AR-15s should not become Regulated Firearms due to their utility as target/marksmen rifles. (And at the time, Colt was marketing the Sporter HBAR guns as being specifically for that purpose.)

Another observation here is that the Regulated List also listed guns that had already been banned for further civilian production under the 1994 Federal AWB, so I suspect that the mention of "Sporter HBAR" was meant to clarify that the Regulated List did not apply to the most common "post-ban" AR variant.

Well IMO if the MD GA got questioned about the HBAR exception some left wing democrat would quickly introduce a bill to ban HBARs. To me it's more to our advantage that the GA is uneducated or our gun laws would be even worse.

Look how fast the GA moved to screw CC permit holders when Hogan dropped the Good and Substantial due to the SC ruling.

It's actually already been attempted before; in 2019, HB612 was introduced into MGA. Fortunately, it didn't pass.

For now, I expect no further attempts at expanding FSA 2013, but what I would worry about would be a mass shooting in MD using a firearm that was either exempted or not banned in 2013. I am sure that such an incident would shine a light back on the shortcomings of FSA 2013 (as the liberals would describe them) and lead the Karen Brigade to demand that MGA introduce a new and expanded ban, possibly as bad as the ones in IL and WA.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hope you’re not serious? If FSA 2013 ever gets amended, it ain’t gonna be because of anything that the antis read on MDShooters. (See above.)
    If you think the MGA doesn't read these pages and plan future bills accordingly, you may be a bit naive. They have been after ARs ever since 2013. Other things have taken precedence since then, but they have not forgotten their mistakes in allowing the AR 15 Hbar to live on.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    If you think the MGA doesn't read these pages and plan future bills accordingly, you may be a bit naive. They have been after ARs ever since 2013. Other things have taken precedence since then, but they have not forgotten their mistakes in allowing the AR 15 Hbar to live on.

Alright, but considering that they already attempted to ban HBARs four years ago (long before I ever knew that I’d be moving to this God-forsaken liberal state), not really sure how reading my post makes a difference one way or the other. I don’t see how I’m telling them anything that they don’t already know.

Not to mention, I am sure that MGA staffers have made undercover trips to local FFLs and found themselves dismayed by all of the tactical-style rifles that they see on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom