• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Just curious what the process is for purchasing and owning a machine gun in Maryland? I know there is a license that must be renewed every year in MD. What does that cost? Is there a Federal permit needed also? Any where exactly to you purchase a machine gun? I don't see a bunch of fully-auto AK47's on the wall at my local gun shop, so do these have to be specially ordered??? I wouldn't mind owning a fully-auto AK one day :gun7:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What is required to own a machine gun?
    Lots of money.

Just curious what the process is for purchasing and owning a machine gun in Maryland? I know there is a license that must be renewed every year in MD. What does that cost? Is there a Federal permit needed also? Any where exactly to you purchase a machine gun? I don't see a bunch of fully-auto AK47's on the wall at my local gun shop, so do these have to be specially ordered??? I wouldn't mind owning a fully-auto AK one day :gun7:

But seriously, to answer your questions:
    You have to buy from a MD FFL that is licensed to deal in Title II firearms (NFA).
    You can buy from someone out of state, but like with all firearms it has to go through the state of residence FFL.
    YOu need the Federal tax stamp. I am sure JeepDriver can tell you which form and form number or your "class III" FFL will tell you. The federal tax stamp is a one time transfer tax of $200. It is not a "permit" but a stamp you buy that serves the same general purpose of registration.

At the state level you must register it with the state once a year every May for a fee of $10. In MD it is not called a tax, but straight out registration and registration fee. I don't think you need fingerprints to do so because I think the federal tax stamp already required fingerprints from you.
    (note: just the machine guns have to be registered with the state as I understand it. All other NFA is not required to be by the state)

Where is an FFL that can transfer NFA? Hal at the Armory just outside of Annapolis city line is an SOT FFL which can order an AK47 for you. I don't think I ever saw any full auto AKs in stock, but he does have some other full auto in stock whenever I'm in there.

Your first NFA purchase may take many months to complete the criminal background check, so have patience.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Are fully auto AK's more expensive than the semi-auto versions? The manufacturing costs should be the same.

So the $200 is per weapon, and it's a one-time only charge?

I can't believe the state fee is so (relatively) reasonable.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    A full auto AK is currently about $17,000.

You find the machine gun you want, spend the money have it transfered to your local SOT. Do the federal Form 4, go through the state police in Jessup and have then sign off on the form 4. Once they send back your form 4 then it gets fowarded to the ATF in Atlanta with a $200 check, then they foward it to the WV office. Wait about 30-45 days.

The MSP require a once a year registration fee of $10, for 1 or 50, it's a flat $10 fee.

Look at Sub-Guns and Sturmgewehr for an idea of how expensive legally transferable machine guns are.

$19,500 for a transferable AKSU

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The inexplicable cost disparity is due to Mr. Reagan's signature on the '86 machine gun ban.

In 1985, the ONLY difference between a $600 AR-15 and a $600 M-16 was the $200 tax stamp.

When the '86 ban took effect, there were NO MORE new machine guns allowed to be made for civilian use, and the ones in existance then now command a premium and they are referred to as "transferable".

FWIW - A NIB Colt AR15A2 is, what, $1,250 or so? I just saw a "transferrable" NIB Colt M16A2 for $22,500 . . .

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Its all about demand and supply. The demand is ever growing and the supply is fixed so the costs go up with the demand. I get sick to my stomach when I talk to this guy I know who got into full auto toys back in the early 80s(before I was born) and he has an MP5K and M16. The MP5K cost around 900 back then and the M16 was 750. God to be born a generation before.....or had my Father collect stuff before I did so I could have them.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    From whatr I understand, some auto sears were registered before the 1986 ban and maybe some AK47 sears were registered too. As I understand it the registered sears are about half the price and you could buy one of those and put it into your own AK47 making it a registered full auto one cheaper....if the AK47 sears exist that is.

SO instead of paying $17,000 for a full auto rifle, you could theoretically pay $8,000 for a small piece of metal, pay the $200 tax stamp for it, pay about $500 on a semi auto AK and drop int eh sear into it.
    The only drawbacks are that you will not have an authentic AK47 (it would legally be full auto though) and you will only be reselling the sear someday for the lower price.
    The upside is that the sear will do nothing but increase in value over the years and I think if it breaks you can have it refoged with the same registration number as I understand it.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Hell, just a transferable Auto-sear for a AR15 (used for conversion to select fire) will cost you 8 grand. Of course you could make one for around $10 if you have a pretty simple machine shop.... but that would put you in jail for ten years.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Engage Armament

They got a lot of Class 3 machine guns there. The funny thing is that the store is located in surburban Montgomery County, one of the last places you would ever expect to find one of those.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I know of an organization that would be glad to give you one, put you on a plane to far away exotic places, and instruct you to shoot it at foreigners. And on top of that, they will pay you to do it! If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you a link. :innocent0

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I know of an organization that would be glad to give you one, put you on a plane to far away exotic places, and instruct you to shoot it at foreigners. And on top of that, they will pay you to do it! If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you a link. :innocent0

Aww hell, one could theoretically rent a boat, export with a proper fed form a semi auto firearm, go out about fifteen miles to international waters, convert it to full auto, fire it for a few hours, convert it back to its oritional semi auto configuration and then bring it back into the US with the proper form as I understand how it might go.
    A whole lot easier than a five or seven year commitment in the forces.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Since all yall have the $$$$$$$$$$$ for these, I guess the fact that the amo that you will go through is not a deal wither.
    At the last group shoot the Ma-Duce 50 went through 2-3 amo boxes of linked ammo (about 150 per box) at $3 per round that you reload even ($5+ if you buy) thats a lot of money for about 1min of fun. Now most look at the 7.62x39 or .223 or .45/9mm not $5/round, but when you blow through 2-500rounds in 1min I am glad you can afford it (but than again you just baught a gun thats more than most average cars)
    However I understand the lusting after what we can't have... Look at women, they probably cost the same :)

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    The MSP require a once a year registration fee of $10, for 1 or 50, it's a flat $10 fee.

I guess I misread the form. I've been paying $10 per MG. They never sent the extra money back or even offered to give me a reach around.:mad54:

Now I know better.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

Money, Money, Money, a clean background and a LOT more money.....the initial outlaw would hurt (10k+) not to mention the cost of feeding that bitch!

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Aww hell, one could theoretically rent a boat, export with a proper fed form a semi auto firearm, go out about fifteen miles to international waters, convert it to full auto, fire it for a few hours, convert it back to its oritional semi auto configuration and then bring it back into the US with the proper form as I understand how it might go.
    A whole lot easier than a five or seven year commitment in the forces.

Yeah, but you still don't get to shoot it at foreigners :shrug:

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City

Been there, done that... going back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom