what is the normal wait time at Hap Baker or Cresap?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDShooter

May 13, 2020
    I am planning on a trip to Hap Baker or Cresap to zero in my rifle scope. I have never been to either of these two places and wonder about the normal wait time on week days and weekends. Do they allow us to bring our own ammo?

Are there any other outdoor ranges you would recommend -- indoor ranges are a bit loud to me? I am also thinking about joining some exclusive shooting club if that can help me skip the wait line.

Any insights would be appreciated.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It has been 3 years or so, but if you got there maybe 15-20 minutes before they open no wait past that.

Cresap tends to move faster as they have twice as many lanes. I think they go cold for about 5 minutes every half an hour.

If you get there somewhat past when first going hot, nice weather and it could be a long wait. I think the longest I ever waited at cresap was an hour or so. Hap I’ve waited at least an hour and a half on a really bad day.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Cresap really depends on the weather, time of the year (is hunting season coming in?), and the number of RSO's they have on the day. It usually goes fairly quick though.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I am planning on a trip to Hap Baker or Cresap to zero in my rifle scope. I have never been to either of these two places and wonder about the normal wait time on week days and weekends. Do they allow us to bring our own ammo?

Are there any other outdoor ranges you would recommend -- indoor ranges are a bit loud to me? I am also thinking about joining some exclusive shooting club if that can help me skip the wait line.

If you want to shoot rifles, be prepared to take a nap in your car.

I haven't been to Happ Baker in years, even though they're right along my commute. Never again.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Last June, Hap Baker was regularly having quite literally all day waits. Got there at 10:15 (just after opening), got a rifle lane at 2:30. They close at “4:30”, but realistically they wrap you up and kick you out at 3:00 or so. Waited all freakin day to hang targets, load my mags, and shoot (2) 30 round AR mags AND 6 shots of 6mm Creedmore. Was last shooter on the line, packed up, carried gear uphill to the truck, drove home from Westminster to Hampstead, including stopping at the McDonald’s drive thru, then home to eat and watch a ballgame at 4 pm (still allegedly 30 minutes of business time left). That was my last straw. Ran my annual membership card thru the shredder. Never been to Cresap, but nothing can be worse than Hap Baker. Nothing.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Last June, Hap Baker was regularly having quite literally all day waits. Got there at 10:15 (just after opening), got a rifle lane at 2:30. They close at “4:30”, but realistically they wrap you up and kick you out at 3:00 or so. Waited all freakin day to hang targets, load my mags, and shoot (2) 30 round AR mags AND 6 shots of 6mm Creedmore. Was last shooter on the line, packed up, carried gear uphill to the truck, drove home from Westminster to Hampstead, including stopping at the McDonald’s drive thru, then home to eat and watch a ballgame at 4 pm (still allegedly 30 minutes of business time left). That was my last straw. Ran my annual membership card thru the shredder. Never been to Cresap, but nothing can be worse than Hap Baker. Nothing.
    They have a new check in system. If you're not a member and a 1st time shooter there, add a longer wait cuz it takes forever.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Basically my experience. Two hours minimum every time. The last straw was bringing my cousin-in-law, waiting two hours, then driving him home because we were bored out of our minds.

The only way Happ Baker is worth it is if you're ex-military and/or don't mind shooting at the pistol range for two hours before shooting rifle. And getting yelled at by the RSOs for breathing.

smileycloser

Apr 7, 2022
    i can attest to hap baker. bring a pistol to shoot first. you will thank me.
    weekends are a mess, go eat breakfast first, week days, not so bad.

CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Wow! Its been years and years for me at Hap Baker and it was virtually empty every time we went. I'm down by the airport in HoCo, so it was a pretty good haul for us from here. But then I discovered the AGC and it is night and day better.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Have never had to wait at Hap Baker, but I only use pistol range and go on weekdays.

That being said, for pistol training, it beats AGC by price and physical facility. If AGC installed, at least, a manual pulley target retrieval system it might be a consideration.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a life membership at Hap Baker (got it years ago when I moved to this area). The waits are unbearable, especially if you’re trying to use the rifle lanes from September to November (everyone getting ready for deer season). Last time I was there I waited a solid 2 hours for a rifle lane to open up.

I joined Guntry not long ago and go shooting much more often because there’s no wait (you schedule times online).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom