• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    So I've been thinking of ways other than more overtime to fund my next rifle purchase, and hopefully I've come up with it. I'll attach some pictures but basically I have an assortment of 45, 40, 9mm, and some 357 sig brass. It's all once fired. It's a few thousand cases, probably 5000-6000 if I had to guess. First question is what would this be worth if just sold as a lot? Second question is what would it be worth if I decap and tumble everything? I have the frankford arsenal wet tumbler so the brass would come out looking new. I have pretty much an unlimited supply of brass so I'd be able to do this over and over. Third question is there any laws I'd have to be concerned about with selling brass privately since it's a reloading components? I can't think of anything but I'm sure there's more versed people here.

Thanks for the help guys! And merry christmas!

Attachments

• 20161224_161713.jpg
      20161224_161713.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 329
    • 20161224_161349.jpg
      20161224_161349.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 324

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've seen tumbled but not deprimed 9mm brass for $30/1,000. Reloaders are frugal by nature, and brass is free if you pick it up at the range.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I think rather than scrapping it I'd do a karma on here. Thanks for the heads up though. I was hoping that maybe with the extra work of cleaning and decapping it might be worth something.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Find out what brass sells for new and then put it up in lots for 1/2 price and see how that goes. If all else fails selll it to a scrap yard

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    9mm is worth $30/1000 raw. Maybe $45 processed. The others are worth a bit more. (Actially have no idea about .40)

It is all about finding a buyer.

At gun shows they sell once fired for about $30/500 unprocessed.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    My guess is, the 9mm and .40 won't move, but the 357 Sig and 45 might. The thing with the 45 Auto brass is, some of it now has small primers. Reloaders are leery of bulk range pickup 45 Auto brass because most people don't want to get saddled with small primer 45 brass. If you separate it, small primer from large primer, you may have a decent chance of moving it.
    The other consideration is, if you separate the nickel plated from the regular brass, you may be able to work some trades for the nickel plated stuff.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I just gave $59/1000 for 357 sig mixed once fired that was cleaned not decapped and mixed with some nickel from Grafs. That's about as high as I was willing to go as I can usually scrounge up enough range pickups on most calibers, but some you just have to bite the bullet and buy it sometime for the less popular calibers.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'm guessing it's mostly commercial. I just went through and sorted between the 4 calibers. Holy crap that was alot of sorting. So I ended up with this:

9mm 18.2 lbs
    40 cal 24.6lbs
    357 sig 7.8 lbs all nickel
    45 auto 2.6 lbs

Everything except the sig is mixed between nickel and brass. A good bit of it is nickel. I also get 223 brass. I looked online and it seems like it's mostly people just naming their price with no real rhyme or reason. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it to invest in sizing dies so I can decap and size all in one shot, and then wet tumble to make em look new. It's tedious work but it's not terrible. I also have a swager so the primer pockets wouldn't be a big deal to just run them through. Decisions decisions. Until then I'll keep researching.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it to invest in sizing dies so I can decap and size all in one shot, and then wet tumble to make em look new.

Handloaders are frugal bunch with common brass. I did this with about 1300 pieces of 40. They eventually sold but not for what I wanted with the extra labor. I used a .45acp die to decap and even ran them through a Lee bulge buster. It may be worth it for the .357 Sig however.

P6260019r.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sort by cal, bag by either 500 or 1000.

If you have capability to easily tumble bulk amounts, you can do that, but don't bother to deprime.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    Earlier this year a friend of mine bought me a bag of 1000 45acp range brass from Heritage for $35.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Less common brass tends to go faster it seems. If sorted well, ideally by headstamp, it will move but not a big money maker. That said, I think I would do as little to it as possible to save your time and increase your return on investment. If you buy tools just for the brass and put much more time into it you may not really get ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom