• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I went shooting today up at Elk Neck and had 2 fail to fires. One 9mm and one .22. First time in my life (haven't been shooting all that long) twice in one day.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Look like those 2 has been chambered and ejected from the gun quite a few times, or those brass has been reloaded a few times and has seen better days.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    New battle packs of SA ammo. It wasn't an ammo problem. Wasn't an ejector problem either. Give up? I'll give you a hint. I bought a bunch of surplus G3 mags.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    The front of the mag had some rust in it that resulted in the rounds being raised with the tip slightly down (the front of the floor plate stopped early). As it was trying to chamber another round, it would slam the round below the chamber (since the tip was down) and the bullet would be pushed back into the round. As soon as I changed mags, the problem stopped. So, when you are buying old surplus mags, keep an eye out for this. The mag had no external rust at all but I have a box of them and so had never used this particular mag.

[IMG=http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8113/mag007vp0.jpg][/IMG]

[img=http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1045/mag006sm9.th.jpg]

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I've gotten surplus fal mags in , the first thing i do is strip them apart and clean them. then test them in my rifle. I've gotten some the distributor said were inch pattern and after cleaning they worked great in my metric. the cleaning also helps spot possible problems before use.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Normally I would have but I got a big box of them and based on the outward appearance, didn't give it a second thought.

I knew it couldn't be a problem with JSW ammo (:D) so I trouble shooted and found that. I'll be getting more after I get some more $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom