• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Hey i am looking at the chinese type 53 or the russian 91/30 Any real difference in quality at all? The chinese is a carbine if i am not mistake and the 91/30 is full size. Size does not matter i would prefer a nice shooter with decent quality.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Size does not matter i would prefer a nice shooter with decent quality.

A number of women would disagree with you. :D

Seriously, the Type 53 I have is no where near the quality (at least visually) of the Russian M44's (the Russian version of the carbine). The carbines are more fun (IMO, I have 4) than the full-size rifles, and are actually useful as a self-defense/hunting rifle. But the full size rifles (I only have 3 of these) are fun to shoot too. Just depends on what you like. I'm sure some of the more Mosin knowledgeable members will be along to post more pointed comments.

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    IMO if you can find a type 53 in good condition with a good bore for a decent price then get it but between the two, I'd choose the 91/30.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Long range the 91/30 is better, short range M44 or T53 lots more fun and makes big fireballs. If you find a T53 with a decent bore get it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The Chinese that have recently come in look a pretty worn. I've seen one nice Chinese Mosin, and it was really nice. There are m44 Russian carbines that are pretty much identical to the Chinese t53. These m44s can be found right now in really good shape. These ones were refinished by the Soviets and put away for WWIII. There are also the 91/30 rifles for sale in the same condition as the m44. The long rifles are also a little cheaper than the m44s.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    The Chinese that have recently come in look a pretty worn. I've seen one nice Chinese Mosin, and it was really nice. There are m44 Russian carbines that are pretty much identical to the Chinese t53. These m44s can be found right now in really good shape. These ones were refinished by the Soviets and put away for WWIII. There are also the 91/30 rifles for sale in the same condition as the m44. The long rifles are also a little cheaper than the m44s.

I just got a Russian M44 with the laminate stock from AIM. It came UPS today. Looks unissued, with just a few storage marks. Matching numbers, and in beautiful shape. $199

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Most every T53 I've seen lately has the snot beat out of it. Rode hard. Put away wet. Go for the M91/30 without question.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    if you buy a 91/30 its likely to be in excellent condition.

a t53 will likely be rough looking, even if the bore is ok.

as a shooter, the full rifles are more comfortable to shoot, myself personally, i just prefer long rifles to short when it comes to old rifles.

also, i know these are so common people often forget about their history, but there is also the fact that a soviet mosin 91/30 is a genuine WWII issued rifle that likely saw service in the war.

overall, for a first mosin, i would say get a 91/30.

however, it is my duty to tell you that what you should really do is buy both.

ghost1981

Aug 1, 2012
    Frederick
    Got to agree wit the 91/30. I got one about a year ago for around $100. Good luck finding one at that price now. Since then, I've converted the stock with the synthetic monte carlo. Just my opinion but I think it feels more natural than the bulky wood stock. Also added a bi pod and a 200 lumen light and a tri-rail. Just today, found a blackhawk buttstock shell holder. Next to come is a better scope mount than the ATI mount kit. Also, my gun smith will be lengthening and curving the bolt handle. Very good rifle. Worth every cent! My next will be a hex receiver, found one for $135 a couple months ago and am still kicking myself for not getting it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Be realistic. This is the C&R forum. If you found your way here, you're not going to just buy one Mosin. If you can find an M44 (Aim is sold out already), get that first. If not, go ahead and get the beat-to-snot Chicom while there are some to be had.

The 91/30 is a better rifle, and the M44 is the most fun. Earlier "hex" 91/30s are built a bit tougher, and usually finished better, than the later "round" models. It's probable that 91/30s will continue to be around and relatively cheap for awhile, so even if that's the best shooter, you may want to get the Chinese carbine while you can.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Polish

Can't beat a Polish M44
    Polish.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members