• Remington 870 Tactical DR

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    Ok, I call a poll seeing as how I'm too indecisive and cannot make up my mind myself. I've recently decided I am going to go ahead and buy a shotgun, I have also yet to decide wether or not I would like to get a pump or semi-auto. At this point, I have narrowed it down to 3 that I like, and would like to hear your thoughts/opinions and also pros/cons of each! Its use will consisnt of multiple roles 1. Home Defense 2. The recreational range trip 3. A force multiplier in a SHTF/Zombie/BugOut scenario.

Option 1 is a Mossberg 500 Tactical as pictured here.
    http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/FirearmsPage/Mossberg-500-Tactical-01.jpg

Option 2 is a Mossberg 930 SPX as pictured here.
    http://xtrooper.net/Mossberg1.jpg

Option 3 is a Remington 870 Tactical Desert Recon as pictured here.
    http://www.hyattgunstore.com/images/P/main-1961.jpg

Last edited:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Everyone knows I gravitate toward the Mossy 500. However, I would go with either the 500 or the 870. Either one is easily adaptable on the fly and each has a time tested reputation for durability and reliability.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have that exact Mossy 500, nice gun. I also have an 870 Wingmaster, very nice gun. Shop around be patient, wait until you can get a good price and go for it.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    I have that exact Mossy 500, nice gun. I also have an 870 Wingmaster, very nice gun. Shop around be patient, wait until you can get a good price and go for it.

Yeah, I have been shopping around, I'm looking to get one this weekend if I can find a decent price at the show in York this Sat. I have a contact in DE right now that has a new 870 as pictured for $400, so that puts it on par with the 500.. I personally am leaning a little more to the 870 but I do love a semi-auto..lol

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    A buddy of mine has the 500 Tactical. The ambi. safety (on the top/rear of the receiver) which I would normally think of as a "plus", requires that you move your hand from the firing position (due to the pistol grip). Otherwise, it gets a hearty recommendation!

A friend at work swears by his 870.

See which feels right to you - I'd say you can't go wrong - given the choices.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Semi guns are nice for trap and clays, pumps are great with some training for personal protection.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I voted Mossy 500, parts are easy to get, it's a great gun, but I would personally opt for the Saiga 12.

jersey

Nov 16, 2008
    Chambersburg PA
    all good choices. i also tend to go with mossberg. remmy is also a very good choice. tough call, but they are the most adaptable if you change your mind on how you want them to be configured. ie. i have 4 stock sets for my 500, i change them here and there.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    I have an old 870 Express Mag Police (black, no pistol grip) and it is rock solid. I've shot a Mossberg 500 once as a "pick up" gun in a 3 gun match and had problems with short stroking (so did number of other folks) but that would be fixed with practice. Both are terrific guns.

A friend used to shot a 930 in 3-gun and had to use full power game loads to reliable operation. Light target loads were no very reliable. He replaced it with FN Self Loading Police (SLP) Mk II and that is a slick gun! :lol:

If I were to get a tactical auto loader, I'd ge the FN SLP Mk II.

Rob

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The wife wants a shotty for HD. I had her all set up for the Mossy but then she saw the Saiga 12 video that someone posted here.....thanks guys. That's not going to be expensive or anything....

Splitter

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    What, no Saiga 12?!!

The Mossy 500 and Remy 870 are pretty evenly matched in my book. I like the Mossy a little better, but it you get an 870 Express then you can switch out the barrels fairly easily and have a gun for both home defense and sporting purposes.

I would go for pump over autoloader for HD, for the sake of reliability. I don't have a ton of experience with semi-autos aside from the Saiga, however.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My vote is obviously for all of the above plus a Saiga. However narrowing it down I have two 590s (plain jane beater and A1 Talo) and a 930SPX and must admit I have found the 930SPX every bit as reliable as the pump and even a little more so with 3" loads (hard to believe). Eats everything and is my favorite shotgun by far.

Reliable, nice sights 8 shots what more could you want? That said a Saiga is in my "long range" list if money and politics allow.

Cowboy T

I've shot both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. Both are fine arms, and you won't go wrong with either. With these two guns, it boils down to which one's on sale.

If you go with a Mossberg 500, get the 7+1 model, since it's for HD. They can be had brand new for less than $300. The Remington 870 is a bit more expensive, but every accessory under the Sun is made for it. Mag extenders for 870's are plentiful and affordable.

For HD, I personally wouldn't choose a semiauto. For bird hunting and skeet shooting, sure, but HD is one of those cases when it Absolutely, Positively Has To Work! It's hard to get more reliable than a manual pump action. That's also why I use a revolver for HD, even though the cops carry semi-auto pistols now, and even the cops' backup guns are usually revolvers.

kamikazeH20mln

Dec 12, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    For home D, a mossberg 590A1 you can't go wrong. There is no way to **** up pumping a shotty that has 7 in the tube.

Saiga would be good if you keep the clip and the gun seperated.

Do you have little ones running around?

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I had a loooong reply typed up, but internet quit on me, and it is lost. I will give the nutshell. I have or have had a 500, 870, and 930.

930; great sporting gun. I have experienced feed issues with a dirty gun in the frigid cold. I do not trust this gun for social work. In a SHTF scenario, where access to cleaning supplies will be close to nil, there is a fair chance your 930 will become a single shot. Mine does not do bedside duty.

Pump guns. they will run filthy, and not miss a beat. My choice for any purpose that has more then clay targets on the line.

500; mossberg clutters their guns up. If you get a 500, get the standard model. 18.5 barrel. Add accessories as funding allows.

18.5 or 20 inch barrel is helpful. They are available plentifully in the aftermarket.

Ambi safety, and the slide release position is helpful for lefties, or if you factor in the possibility of losing the use of your right hand.

870;

Ditch the desert recon. get standard tactical or police model. 18.5 barrel. Factory mag extension.

For most uses, the gun will be complete, right out of the box.

Surefire fore end lights are available on the secondary market, more readily then for the mossberg.

Pistol grip aids in reloading with one hand in the "ready" position, with the gun still shouldered. Not necessary, boils down to personal preference. I don't have one.

870 is the most popular shotgun, and parts are everywhere. A big plus.

That is just my view on the shotgun world, from what I have owned. Whatever you get, shoot shoot shoot, shotguns are serious fun at the range, and the most versatile gun in the world.

Good luck!

Here is one of our heroes with his shotgun.

DSCN0779.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom