• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Hey guys ..

I have a guy I know who wants to get into 3 gun and he was wondering what shotgun would be a good starter to use . price range would be from about 600-1000 pump or semi ..

rkgsmith

Nov 26, 2011
    FN or Winchester sx2 and don't look back. No modifications needed ready to go right out of the box.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    FN SLP Mark 1 will be perfect right out of the box.

It's purpose-built for 3 gun. 22" barrel, 8+1 capacity (the limit for most 3 gun divisions), fiber optic front sight, and a flip up rear sight for slugs (which comes in VERY handy.)

FNM0019mb.png

Last edited:

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    A great gun at a reasonable price is the Mossberg JM Pro, it's race ready right out of the box, you can get 8+1 22" barrel with screw in chokes or 9+1 with a 24" barrel and chokes. The SPX (and correct me if I'm wrong) is 18" smooth bore which makes it tough for some distance shots at steel (Numidian will tell you if you PM him). The FN and Bennelli are a little more but might be your next step up when your ready to upgrade.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    At the price range you listed, there may not be a need for a "starter" shotgun. You can buy quality that will last you long term.

There's a number of good options out there. FN, Winchester, Benelli, Mossberg. Any one of them will serve you well. Don't know that I'd recommend Remington (even though I shoot one myself) because the loading gate on them kinda sucks out of the box. They can be made to work, but you have to put work into it. If you do like working on your gun, then the Remingtons have a lot of aftermarket support.

Whatever you get, look for a 22"-ish barrel with 8+1 capacity. You can go with more capacity if you want (or if you plan to shoot in Open) but settle for no less than 8+1.

Do not get a ported barrel unless you want to ONLY shoot in Open.

You'll also want something that you can load quickly. The shotgun part of 3-gun is won or lost on the reload.

After that, it just comes down to personal preference. Many people have larger bolt handles to aid in malfunction clearance (though one would hope you never need that), larger bolt release buttons on the models that have those, and fiber optic beads.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    FN SLP Mark 1 will be perfect right out of the box.

It's purpose-built for 3 gun. 22" barrel, 8+1 capacity (the limit for most 3 gun divisions), fiber optic front sight, and a flip up rear sight for slugs (which comes in VERY handy.)

FNM0019mb.png

I second this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom