• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I've got some potentially disposable income coming in in the next couple of months, and am interested in buying one of two things with the purpose of plinking and/or hunting small game. Small game meaning rabbit, squirrel, and the like.

I am either looking for a .22 spring or gas piston air rifle, or a rimfire rifle either .22lr, .22magnum, or .17hmr.

I already have a springer in .177 that is adequately powerful for hunting, and just needs a scope. I do not however have any variety of rimfire.

My question here is that for my purposes, should I buy a rimfire rifle, or an air rifle? The budget is about the same for either ~$200 give or take a little.

I don't need anything fancy, so action types on the rimfire are wide open. Bolt, semi, whatever.

Input welcome and appreciated.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I would buy a .22lr savage bolt action rifle. You have the airgun already nailed down. Savages will shoot well and are around your budget. Check out the FVSR...i'm close to you, if you want to shoot mine before making the purchase, you are welcome too.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I would buy a .22lr savage bolt action rifle. You have the airgun already nailed down. Savages will shoot well and are around your budget. Check out the FVSR...i'm close to you, if you want to shoot mine before making the purchase, you are welcome too.

A good call here! :thumbsup: And Savage indeed makes an accurate rimfire in this price range.

Don't let 22LR ammo availability discourage you. Availability is improving, and these issues run in cycles.

17HMR and 22WMR are both good rounds, but are more niche rounds. You can't go wrong with 22LR for what you describe as your intended uses.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD

I have a Marlin 60 .22lr. On sale you can get them for $160 at Bass Pro.

However....

The first gun I ever shot was a Savage Mark II bolt action owned by a friend. I adored that gun and someday will own one. So I really cannot argue against that suggestion.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I have a Marlin 60 .22lr. On sale you can get them for $160 at Bass Pro.

However....

The first gun I ever shot was a Savage Mark II bolt action owned by a friend. I adored that gun and someday will own one. So I really cannot argue against that suggestion.
    I've heard that marlin has been having some QC issues. Is this true?

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I bought mine new in 2012 and it's been great. It fires BEST with copper plate ammo, but will shoot the cheap stuff 4/5 times.

They are a very old manufacturer, so if you look, you can probably find older models.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I bought mine new in 2012 and it's been great. It fires BEST with copper plate ammo, but will shoot the cheap stuff 4/5 times.

They are a very old manufacturer, so if you look, you can probably find older models.
    I know my great uncle had a 30\30levergun that was a marlin that must have been produced sometime in the 60s. Never had any issues with that, I've just hears some things about the newer rimfire.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I'm leaning that way. Now I'm wondering models. I don't plan to ever suppress a rimfire, so threading isn't important. I do like the savage MK II offerings and will keep those on the table. Other suggestions welcome.

Savage makes a good 22, then there's always the ruger 10/22, I have a remington aac-sd 597 and haven't had any issues with it.

El Patron Grande

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    El Patron Grande says:

If you go with .22lr rifle you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22, which is the "Lego" of .22lr rifles (plus you can buy in the future the .22lr American Rifle - they have compatible mags). IMHO the combo of the two is as close to perfect a purchase for that caliber.

Speaking of perfect, if US dolares is no problema, then take a look at the CZ 455 American Combo (.22 LR & .17 HMR). Hubba Hubba.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    El Patron Grande says:

If you go with .22lr rifle you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22, which is the "Lego" of .22lr rifles (plus you can buy in the future the .22lr American Rifle - they have compatible mags). IMHO the combo of the two is as close to perfect a purchase for that caliber.

Speaking of perfect, if US dolares is no problema, then take a look at the CZ 455 American Combo (.22 LR & .17 HMR). Hubba Hubba.

Everyone should own at least one Ruger 10/22. Not my quote originally, but words I live by.

I have owned one since 1982 when I turned 18. Still runs like a champ, still accurate, still reliable. And from 1988 to 2010 I never cleaned it, or shot it. Came out of it's case and went right back to work, no jams, no issues.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    Right now I have a mossberg 500. Smooth and rifled barrels.

Looking at the benelli supernova. Want the ability to swap chokes, and just a smoother pump gun.
    I looked at a Supernova not long ago. Went with a Mossy for budget reasons, but really like that Benelli. The Remington 887 is similar and not bad either.

I've handled and shot many different 10\22s over the years,and while agree that they're good guns, I'm not particularly fond of them. I don't have a different preferred .22, and would take a 10/22 if that's all I could find.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    I looked at a Supernova not long ago. Went with a Mossy for budget reasons, but really like that Benelli. The Remington 887 is similar and not bad either.

I've handled and shot many different 10\22s over the years,and while agree that they're good guns, I'm not particularly fond of them. I don't have a different preferred .22, and would take a 10/22 if that's all I could find.

The 887 was actually my first choice, but the supernova fit a lot better without changing things up on it. The bps was another I looked at, but again fitment won. I'm a little on the small side, so it's a little harder to properly fit me.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    The 887 was actually my first choice, but the supernova fit a lot better without changing things up on it. The bps was another I looked at, but again fitment won. I'm a little on the small side, so it's a little harder to properly fit me.
    Understood. I'm the opposite, being on the lanky side and have to shim most guns for proper fit.

Browning sells the BPS in a small frame version, the Micro Midas. Just in case you are ever back in the market.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    I personally do not like the 10/22. Atleast in stock forum. I have one and it just does not feel right. I do have two savage 22's though. The basic model F which can be found at Walmart for $180ish and a bvt or something like that which cost me twice as much. Honestly they both shoot about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom