• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Tim we'll go over it tomorrow. A few guys from CC are building SPR uppers right now and we've done a good bit of R@R with different compenents.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    Tim we'll go over it tomorrow. A few guys from CC are building SPR uppers right now and we've done a good bit of R@R with different compenents.

Sounds good Russ, figure there will be alot of time sitting around waiting to shoot anyways. Might bring some extra fold out chairs too.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    still sitting here trying to pull the trigger on the larue stealth upper. Its in the cart, ready to check out, just havent' been able to hit the check out button yet.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Tim you can build an upper that will shoot with the Larue for about half the cost. Now it won't be as super sexy as the Larue and won't command the same respect at the range but the accuracy potential will be equally as good. Larue is quality and if you wanna buy a complete upper ready to shoot and have the $ then you can't go wrong. I'm assuming you also get a warranty with the Larue and the rails are really nice as well. It's just a good chunk of change for an upper. Did you also look at the Noveske? Either way I'd go 1/7 twist. You saw what my White Oak barreled SPR did at 300 with 75gr. Hornady handloads. I've got about 750$ in that upper minus optics. The YHM rails aren't as good as Larue but it will shoot as good if not better and even with optics the entire upper is still less than the Larue. Now I built that because I really couldn't justify the cost of the Larue. If you have the coin then I'll bet you'd be very happy with the Larue. I know I would.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    yeah its out of the shopping cart for now, gonna wait a little longer and sleep on it. I just priced out building one myself with what i wanted and it ended up being 1050 bucks, thats with the woa barrel, dd lite 14 inch rail, 100 dollar upper, bcm bcg, and all the other parts i needed to put it together, gas tube, gas block. I still have time so maybe i can try to piece some things together for cheaper.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you get the WOA barrel you can get a matched bolt and then just need a carrier and small parts. I like the Young carrier.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If your going to drop over 1K on an upper you should get an LWRC, one of the best (if not the best) AR15 platforms on the market.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Mega...I'm in the exact same boat you are. Been seriously considering the Larue vs. building myself. Everytime I price out parts comparable to the Larue I end up saving @ 250. I'm someone that doesn't have experience or tools to properly assemble an AR, especially one that I want to be very accurate. I'm not saying it can't be done just saying its not for me.

I'd rather spend the extra 250 and know I have a properly built and test upper and a company that I can go back to if I have any issues.

Nothing against the hobbiest. I know it can be done and done well. I just know it's not something I want to venture into.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Mega...I'm in the exact same boat you are. Been seriously considering the Larue vs. building myself. Everytime I price out parts comparable to the Larue I end up saving @ 250. I'm someone that doesn't have experience or tools to properly assemble an AR, especially one that I want to be very accurate. I'm not saying it can't be done just saying its not for me.

I'd rather spend the extra 250 and know I have a properly built and test upper and a company that I can go back to if I have any issues.

Nothing against the hobbiest. I know it can be done and done well. I just know it's not something I want to venture into.

I totally get what you are saying, but you should really see one being built in person before you decide on how hard it is. Not saying everyone should build thier own but if it's something you'd like to do then I would say go for it. You'd be surprised how easy and rewarding it is.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    and about the lwrc, don't want to drop 2k on a upper lol. found a larue stealth on ar15 that i might be able to get for 1k even. I still have plenty of time though, gonna check some different build routes out and the good thing i got the good people on this forum to help me put it all together lol.

disco dan

Car Nut
    Feb 23, 2010
    if you are going to buy the larue stealth upper buy it from larue. but buy the lower reciever also, even if you dont use it you can sell it to make a little money back on the upper you just bought. might sound stupid but a buddy of mine got 375 bucks for the lower after he bought a stealth upper

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom