• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I have just read through the DNR digital edition and I couldn't find anything on the regulation of what to do with a coyote carcass. My wife isn't big on the idea of having a mount or a skin around, so if I am able to take a coyote, what should I do with the body?

Leave it for the scavengers? Bury it? Donate it? I honestly don't know and I don't want to be an irresponsible hunter should I be presented with the opportunity.

Thanks in advance for your input!

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    yep. Not her thing. However she did ask me tonight if she could go hunting with me...which was way out of left field. So there may be hope yet.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Funny, but not helpful :) Considering the number of hunters on this forum I was hoping for more input.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Once you smell one of those stinking SOB's you will most likely leave it right where you shot it. In Indiana for a good winter pelt a whole animal is worth around 20 bucks and can go up to about 60 bucks for a nice fur that has been dried and stretched correctly. If you harvest a nice animal and you don't know how to skin one correctly for the fur market, I suggest you leave it whole, Because you can reduce the price of the fur if done incorrectly.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Funny thing about a coyote carcass. Every other one I have left out ( skinned) for buzzards to eat(out in the open in a field), they aren't too excited over it and not much touches it period, but toss a skinned one into the woods in Cecil county, and something drags it off! Does Bigfoot like to eat tainted coyote meat or something? Has the Pig lady gone north, or is the Dog/Wolf Man of Field Point rd going all over and eating coyotes?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Once you smell one of those stinking SOB's you will most likely leave it right where you shot it. In Indiana for a good winter pelt a whole animal is worth around 20 bucks and can go up to about 60 bucks for a nice fur that has been dried and stretched correctly. If you harvest a nice animal and you don't know how to skin one correctly for the fur market, I suggest you leave it whole, Because you can reduce the price of the fur if done incorrectly.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:I shot one in 2012 I think...man thats a stinky animal! I'll take a rutting buck over a stinky coyote LOL
    Funny thing about a coyote carcass. Every other one I have left out ( skinned) for buzzards to eat(out in the open in a field), they aren't too excited over it and not much touches it period, but toss a skinned one into the woods in Cecil county, and something drags it off! Does Bigfoot like to eat tainted coyote meat or something? Has the Pig lady gone north, or is the Dog/Wolf Man of Field Point rd going all over and eating coyotes?

:lol2: prob vultures, coons, and Opossum's and maggots make quick work of them...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I've found vultures don't like going into the woods too much though, unless it's a deer gut pile or a whole deer carcass. I used to toss stuff on a wood edge and vultures were not touching it, but if I put things out into the field, they would be all over it. This last yote carcass was put out in cold weather, so maggots are out of the picture. That leaves me with possums. Maybe a 20 pound possum lives there.Coons and fox won't touch a yote.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've found vultures don't like going into the woods too much though, unless it's a deer gut pile or a whole deer carcass. I used to toss stuff on a wood edge and vultures were not touching it, but if I put things out into the field, they would be all over it. This last yote carcass was put out in cold weather, so maggots are out of the picture. That leaves me with possums. Maybe a 20 pound possum lives there.Coons and fox won't touch a yote.

are there bears near you? oppossums are nasty...They are known to scavenge too...I dont know if they would eat a coyote though..when I lived in MD I had some vultures land in trees...I guess they smelled the gut pile I left after gutting a deer, or they have very good vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom