• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I'm gonna have to try a CTR. I have two factory Colt stocks and two magpul MOE stocks. The Colt's lock up like a back vault, but one of the MOE stocks rattles like a SOB. I thought one of the buffer tubes was slightly out of spec, but after swapping the offending stock on all my buffer tubes, its definitely the stock. Kind of strange that there could be that much variation between one MOE and another.

Check out the str. I don't think there's much of a difference in price, and the cheek weld is noticeably better.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Check out the str. I don't think there's much of a difference in price, and the cheek weld is noticeably better.

I agree. I think the STR has the better cheek weld due to the storage tubes. It's a little more expensive but sometimes you can find it for the same price as the CTR.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    The best stocks I've used are the Crane SOPMODs (LMT or B5) and the Magpul STR. In my opinion these are the best designed and most comfortable for a fighting carbine.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    After receiving my new CTR stock. I compared it to my Rogers super stock on my Colt. The CTR seems to be more robust, the Rogers slightly lighter. Both lock up great, with no wiggle. My advice; buy the least expensive. They're both winners.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Make sure your stock matches your buffer tube. As in, Mil spec or commercial.

Magpul makes good stuff. No complaints there. I have a VLTOR on my RPD, I like it too.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    B5 guys. Maybe try the VLTOR. I hate the cracks that love pinching my face hair though.

I've heard some have this problem and some don't. I obviously don't since I have no facial hair.

That being said, those cracks make the VLTOR stocks look bad ass. The Emod is one of my favorite looking stocks. It's also built well and works the best with one of the greatest buffer systems ever invented. The A5.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have a milspec tube Magpul STR on one of my AR's. I find it bulky and doesn't lock up as tight when fully collapsed. Extended at any length is fine.

It is much more difficult to remove than a stock should ever be. I find it odd that you need a tool (plastic bullet, etc...) to remove a stock. I tried an actual round once and so much leverage was needed, that the bullet, powder and all, separated and went flying everywhere.

The stock itself is 2-1/2" wide. It will make you tilt your head just a bit more to line up your irons. It does provide a half face weld.

The quick disconnect for your strap is reversible, but only comes on one side. How much more would it cost to add one to both sides? Nit-picking? Maybe.

The storage compartments are tubes built into either side with an press-fit molded rubber plug.

Butt pad is a 1/4" thick piece of hard rubber, which is good. It's an AR and doesn't recoil much anyway.

I guess I expected an incredible product after hearing the rave reviews, what I received is a decent AR stock that cost more than a decent stock should cost.

Just my experience with it. It seems everyone else likes theirs.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    I am looking for a high quality non-collapsible stock. I like the look of the VLTOR's, but don't want the expense of the collapsible stock, and don't think I would really need / want collapsible. Are there non-collapsible stocks of similar quality to the VLTOR's? It seems like the high end of the market has all gone collapsible....

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I am looking for a high quality non-collapsible stock. I like the look of the VLTOR's, but don't want the expense of the collapsible stock, and don't think I would really need / want collapsible. Are there non-collapsible stocks of similar quality to the VLTOR's? It seems like the high end of the market has all gone collapsible....

Magpul has a fixed stock option. I believe they are about $50.

I would personally just use an A2 stock if I was going fixed.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    Thanks, just found it...the Magpul MOE FCS. For some reason, I thought all the Magpuls were collapsible, will also check out A2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom