The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My press progression has gone:
    1. Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock
    2. Lee Classic Turret
    3. Dillon 650

I'll be moving on to an 1100 or Mark7 Evo next, depending on what bonuses look like this year. When that happens, the 650 will be put into large primer mode and used for 308 and 45, while the 1100/Evo is in small primer mode for 223/300/9mm. I am leaning towards the Evo because I'd like the option of a drop-in autodrive for the future.

The Lees will probably stick around for miscellaneous case prep tasks, at least until I've figured out some sort of trimmer setup for the progressive presses. Something like the Lee APP might make sense as a replacement, TBH.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Im back on the hunt. Optics planet was bullshitting.
    If Midway USA has models you like AND they allow backorders, they are very reliable in coming through. They seem to have reloading items (mid to low end, nonprogessive) in stock as soon as any other vendor. I've successfully gotten some hard to source reloading items from them with modest (less than two month) waits after backordering. On some items, they don't allow backorders (like primers).

I don't know if Natchez allows backorders, but they're a pretty solid business as well (all my customer service interactions have been excellent) and they seemed to have decent inventory of Hornady reloading items before the panic.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I'll give another vote for the Dillon 650 if you can find one. Otherwise a 750. I looked at the 550 and decided to buy once cry once.

Check out the reloading groups on reddit. New & Used Dillons show up from time to time.
    You could also try RSP in Falling Waters WV.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I owned a Dillon 550 and sold it because I felt four stages were not enough to load properly, particularly if you want to crimp the bullets. I found that it was difficult to seat and crimp bullets in one stage and get it right on a consistent basis. The Dillons are good quality and they work, but I would get a larger one than the 550 with more stages for all of the reloading functions you want to accomplish with each pull of the handle.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I know the 750 is $200 more than the 550, but it's just so much more press for the money that I dunno how people buy the 550.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know the 750 is $200 more than the 550, but it's just so much more press for the money that I dunno how people buy the 550.

1) Handles some larger magnums that the 650 will not do.

2) Can run as single stage for developing loads.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    For 45acp, 9mm, 38 spl my Stars take care of that, case feeders auto index.
    Other progressive presses run the gambit, Hornady, Pro 7's, Projectors, LNL-AP,,
    Dillons (sorry no 1050's) CH Auto Champs. Single stage vintage Rock Chickens,
    Redding Big Boss 2, Forster CoAx, even the ole Ideal / Lyman 310 nut cracker..
    Mix of Texan, Hollywood.. Mec, P&W, Corbin...

Anyway check some of the other forums, saw various presses posted.
    Fleecebay, oR marketplace...estate sales....there was something interesting
    posted in my travels a Dillon modified Star Press in 223, one of Dillons first
    presses, but way out of my League...

-Rock

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    I have 2 LnL presses plus a Rockchucker Supreme plus a turret press and old Lyman press. Yet, if I can afford it, I'd still get the Dillon XL750. No complaints with my Hornady presses. Dillon presses can be pushed faster with less issues.

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    You might try Maryland Reload R. Bob Mancer usually stocks several Dillons. He includes time to set it up and teach you how to use it too. A great guy to deal with.

HWB3

Jan 18, 2017
    Ellicott City
    Can't go wrong with a Dillon. Had my 550 since 1983 and still working fine. Had one part break last year and they had it in the mail to me the day after I send an email asking about availability. Easy to switch between calibers too.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I would tell you to get a Dillon 750. It has five die stations, which allows you to seat a bullet and crimp at two different stations. This will give you more consistent bullet seating. If you are not crimping, you can use the 5th for powder checking, which is a great safety feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom