• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    buying this old, beat up M44? It doesn't even have a cleaning rod and is missing the bayonet :cool:

Attachments

• m441.jpg
      m441.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 478
    • m444.jpg
      m444.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 472
    • m445.jpg
      m445.jpg
      12.2 KB · Views: 467
    • m443.jpg
      m443.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 473

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    First with the iPhone. Now trying with ipad. For some reason, I can only post one pic per post with ipad-quite frustrating...

Alpha-Yes. It's a '43. Of the approx 10 known Finn captured M44s, only 2 are '44.

If you think about it, it was such a tiny window for M44s to make it to the front and be captured before the war was over. By '43, the Russians and Finns were in a static trench-style war with almost no fighting-so there was almost zero chance for either side to capture any type of firearm. Let alone an M44 that was in trial use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      112.6 KB · Views: 418

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The question is what're you gonna do now? Sell it, keep it as-is or, what I would do if it was me, restore it to proper spec and post some good, clear photos of the completed project.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Neither. A fellow Finn collector had it and we made a trade. In the end, I believe I came out WAY ahead-even though he was aware of the rarity and value.
    The last two I've seen come up for auction have gone well over $2000.

The mag plate matches and the bolt and butt plate are scrubbed.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Here's a pic with my other Finn captured carbine-an original matching M38.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      174 KB · Views: 372
    First with the iPhone. Now trying with ipad. For some reason, I can only post one pic per post with ipad-quite frustrating...

Alpha-Yes. It's a '43. Of the approx 10 known Finn captured M44s, only 2 are '44.

If you think about it, it was such a tiny window for M44s to make it to the front and be captured before the war was over. By '43, the Russians and Finns were in a static trench-style war with almost no fighting-so there was almost zero chance for either side to capture any type of firearm. Let alone an M44 that was in trial use.

Wow.

How many Mosins do you have? No need to answer if you don't want,just curious.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    The question is what're you gonna do now? Sell it, keep it as-is or, what I would do if it was me, restore it to proper spec and post some good, clear photos of the completed project.

Restoring it would ruin a very highly collectible piece. The Finns made it the way it is on purpose. It is correct for what it is.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

This is far from a project. The misleading title and first post was an inside joke to my fellow Finn collectors. I won't be doing a thing to this carbine. Messing with it would be taking a $2500+ firearm and turning it into a $350 example.
    Not gonna happen ;)

The Finns removed the bayonet. All other Finn captured examples exhibit this characteristic. The cleaning rod is just gone-if I find a properly used example, I'll add it.

Otherwise, it will live out the remaining years of my life in a safe with its cousins only to be taken out to show friends on occasion. If my kids don't get into collecting, it will be sold to another collector to keep it safe for a few more decades when I reach my 70's or so.

Sirex