What will gun shops do until someone can buy a gun again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If, and it looks like it will pass, the training/gun licensing process has to be established I'm sure some time and will not happen over night. Does this mean that for some time no one in Maryland could buy a gun until they meet the new standards? Will there be some type of phase in?

Also keep in mind that very few LEO depart offer fingerprinting (at a reasonable fee) so will we be at the mercy of whatever fees these state approved contractors (Live Scan) will charge for their fingerprinting services?

I wonder how many of these dirty rat representatives are silent partners of Live Scan where their YES vote is more about the money they plan to make? Someone that has the skills and ability should look into that to prove conflict of interest.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    They will suffer massive loss of sales and the smaller, non retail ones will possibly have to shut down.

I believe that this is an intended consequence.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I'm sure there will be a gap where no guns are sold throughout the state and it is going to hurt the dealers severely.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    If, and it looks like it will pass, the training/gun licensing process has to be established I'm sure some time and will not happen over night. Does this mean that for some time no one in Maryland could buy a gun until they meet the new standards? Will there be some type of phase in?

Also keep in mind that very few LEO depart offer fingerprinting (at a reasonable fee) so will we be at the mercy of whatever fees these state approved contractors (Live Scan) will charge for their fingerprinting services?

I wonder how many of these dirty rat representatives are silent partners of Live Scan where their YES vote is more about the money they plan to make? Someone that has the skills and ability should look into that to prove conflict of interest.

Keep in mind that the final bill contains an exemption from the training requirement for any person who already "lawfully owns a regulated firearm."
    See this updated summary, paragraph no. 1.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Assuming everything happens according to the plan that our lawmakers have created, the bottleneck that will happen is mind-boggling.

I cannot imagine how long someone who buys an affected gun after October will have to wait to trudge their way through the not-disapproved wait, the training scheduling, the training itself, the MSP approval, etc. It's going to be staggering.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    The only positive I see come of this is it will make ranges that offer rentals safer since you can't rent a gun unless you have the license and it prevents people coming off the street with 0 gun knowledge renting guns - everything else about the law sucks

Feb 28, 2013
    They will suffer massive loss of sales and the smaller, non retail ones will possibly have to shut down.

I believe that this is an intended consequence.

Your probably right, since it's the small shop, as opposed to the big box store, that sells all the cool stuff.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If the MSP gets its act together, the handgun qualification license procedure will be established before the law actually takes effect on October 1, 2013. So, that would mean there would be no issue in that regard because people would be able to get their handgun qualification license right after the law takes effect on October 1, 2013.

Question is, how many people are going to want to jump through all the extra hoops to get a handgun? I know I will not.

Also, if a referendum gets put on the ballot, that will delay this until 2014, and if we win it resolves the entire issue.

If this does eventually go into effect, there is always the rifle and shotgun market, and the loophole market. You guys make it sound as though "assault weapons" and handguns are the only guns out there.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Your probably right, since it's the small shop, as opposed to the big box store, that sells all the cool stuff.

I have not seen many Krieghoffs, Perazzis, or upper end Berettas like the DT10 (soon to be the DT11) in the big box stores, but maybe I am overlooking them. Don't think I have ever run into a Sake TGT-42 either at the big box stores. Of course, all those firearms have hefty price tags to them.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    The only positive I see come of this is it will make ranges that offer rentals safer since you can't rent a gun unless you have the license and it prevents people coming off the street with 0 gun knowledge renting guns - everything else about the law sucks

Catch 22- how can you rent a gun without a license, and how can you get a license without renting or otherwise receiving a gun?

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Keep in mind that the final bill contains an exemption from the training requirement for any person who already "lawfully owns a regulated firearm."
    See this updated summary, paragraph no. 1.

Yes, but you'll still have to get fingerprinted and apply for your license. They can drag their feet on this all they want; I seem to recall they voted down the amendment to explicitly say the permit would be issued in X number of days and instead opted to leave in the language giving the MSP a "reasonable" amount of time.

I'm hoping the rush of people looking to get their guns purchased before the bill takes effect will be able to hold over the smaller stores.

Feb 28, 2013
    Catch 22- how can you rent a gun without a license, and how can you get a license without renting or otherwise receiving a gun?

Not sure that applies since a rental isn't "your" gun, and you're shooting it at their establishment.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If this does eventually go into effect, there is always the rifle and shotgun market, and the loophole market. You guys make it sound as though "assault weapons" and handguns are the only guns out there.

For many of our Industry Partners, these guns are probably over 75% of their business. This law will put them out of business. It would be equal to banning all cars except for the budget sub-compacts and luxury cars over 100K. Yes, there's still cars for sale but not the ones that people want and that most of us currently drive.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    If the MSP gets its act together, the handgun qualification license procedure will be established before the law actually takes effect on October 1, 2013. So, that would mean there would be no issue in that regard because people would be able to get their handgun qualification license right after the law takes effect on October 1, 2013.

One of the points Dumais was trying to make is that the law will provide an additional 400k to the MSP to help with additional personnel. I don't know when that funding would be released to them though.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    For many of our Industry Partners, these guns are probably over 75% of their business. This law will put them out of business. It would be equal to banning all cars except for the budget sub-compacts and luxury cars over 100K. Yes, there's still cars for sale but not the ones that people want and that most of us currently drive.

I wonder how many of our local businesses will end up closing down. Like Joppaj said these guns are the majority of there business. Engage, 2a, Gun Connection, Gun Rack, this law is going seriously hurt them unfortunately

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

This isn't accurate.

They define rent as taking the firearm off of the part. Renting a gun at the range is not "renting" according to the statute.

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park

Here is a link to the MD Legislature 'Fiscal and Policy Note' which is prepared with each bill. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fnotes/bil_0001/sb0281.pdf

Please do not shoot the messenger.

Expected:
    State effect (Govt)= In 2014, collection of $2.2 million with the costs associated with the bill at $3.3 million

Local effect (Govt) = 'minimal' since the MSP will be responsible for most of the expenses.

Small Business Effect = 'meaningful' = Nightmare Paperwork -

The bill requires that a licensed dealer keep records of all receipts, sales, and other dispositions of firearms affected in connection with the dealer’s business.

I am sure that a number of people (perhaps myself included) will be added to payrolls or other business's expenses - Did I mention Nightmare Paperwork, a copy of everything done involving the transaction, that it almost includes which parking spot the purchaser used. All available for quick access by verbal request of the MSP.

I know i read something about since the new banned guns make up much of the income of the shop, that would be a problem - but i can not find it right now

But the gains in income by ranges will offset much of the loss of firearm sales.

* This is All information that was produced before amendments - I will get whatever changes in business finance.

Does anyone with SQL skills have an interest in creating a group that will produce a reasonably priced software package for dealer paperwork ? Will need to get the final specs when the law finally comes out. But at the end of the day it is a database that has has sort functions to answer any request the police can make - and spit out the pdf files involved. It would be a 5 month project, giving dealers a month to become comfortable with it. Mostly a one time state wide install, then adding a few entries a month, should any new dealers come-on line. Some ongoing maintenance. Do not want to make a killing - but like transfer fees, it must produce revenue and a profit. bla, bla, ... worth a business plan for sure. And a locally produced and supported package, by Pro-2A guys i expect would be viewed as a vendor of first choice. PM if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom