What would be the best Maryland compliant rifle I can buy for under $3000?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tool

Apr 15, 2024
    Maryland
    Ideally, I want something that is
    (a) at the caliber of 556/223, and
    (b) as small as possible.
    (c) under a budget of $3000, the less the better.

Many thanks.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    “Best” is highly subjective, but it would be a lot easier to offer suggestions if you’d share the rifle’s intended purpose.

-Rob

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes, philosophy of use and preferences of types of rifles , bolts , gas, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes, philosophy of use and preferences of types of rifles , bolts , gas, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    When you say compliant I assume you mean AR15 since I can't think of a non compliant bolt gun. There are plenty, but a few would be:

LWRC
    Daniel Defense
    BCM

J_Gunslinger

Industry Partner
    Apr 19, 2024
    Fallston
    LWRC is MD based and make great rifles! You said “small as possible” are you looking for a SBR?

There is also the option of building a MD compliant rifle. SLR gunworks makes top tier billet upper and lowers (as well as complete rifles). They are super clean, built to spec, and will cerakote whatever color before shipping.

Just received this lower the other day.
    IMG_7259.jpeg

Tool

Apr 15, 2024
    Maryland
    When you say compliant I assume you mean AR15 since I can't think of a non compliant bolt gun. There are plenty, but a few would be:

LWRC
    Daniel Defense
    BCM

Many thanks. The DDM4 PDW, with a lengh of only 25 inches, seems to be a perfect choice.

I'm buying my first and only rifle for home defense.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Many thanks. The DDM4 PDW, with a lengh of only 25 inches, seems to be a perfect choice.

OK, you know that is an AR pistol right and the caliber is 300 Blackout, not 5.56?

It is a pistol because instead of having a hard stock, it has a rubber "brace". If you wanted a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16", you would have to build or buy an SBR(short barreled rifle). In doing so, you would be required to register it with the ATF and pay a $200 NFA tax and it would have to have an overall length over 29".

Here are similar AR pistols by DD in 5.56 caliber:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

If you’re going to register it as an SBR, in Maryland, the overall length has to be at least 29” or more. Don’t shoot the messenger

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you’re going to register it as an SBR, in Maryland, the overall length has to be at least 29” or more. Don’t shoot the messenger
    Thanks for the reminder. I added the OAL to my first post(just waking up :indiffere).

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Colt SOCOM 6920.

Many options, lots of FFL'S have some in stock.

Example-

**JLowe's Guns**
    **1573 Theodore Rd**
    **Rising Sun, MD, 21911**
    **410-914-8093**

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I know that Dan at Maryland Elite Firearms has a number of rifles that would meet your needs. He is a preferred IP on this site. You might want to give him a call and then pay his store a visit if he has anything that interests you.

Cal68

Tool

Apr 15, 2024
    Maryland

Where is the source of this information? For example, the DDM4 PDW is on the Maryland Handgun Roster, and it is legal to purchase in Maryland, even though it is less than 29 inches. To take possession, I would have to register it as an SBR and pay the stamp tax.

What you said seems to be contradictory to this.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Where is the source of this information? For example, the DDM4 PDW is on the Maryland Handgun Roster, and it is legal to purchase in Maryland, even though it is less than 29 inches. To take possession, I would have to register it as an SBR and pay the stamp tax.

If you buy a handgun (think braced pistol) it is a handgun. If you decide you want to put a real stock on it, you need to be at or over 29in.

Source would be FSA2013.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I know that Dan at Maryland Elite Firearms has a number of rifles that would meet your needs. He is a preferred IP on this site. You might want to give him a call and then pay his store a visit if he has anything that interests you.

Cal68
    100% agree with going to see Dan at Maryland Elite Firearms.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008

You implied you wanted a rifle initially since you posted under rifles. A DDM4 PDW as listed on the handgun roster is legally a pistol, not a rifle/SBR. It does not have a "stock", instead a brace. If you put a rifle stock on the DDM4 PDW, it would then legally be considered a SBR and would not make the Maryland 29" length for a rifle (stock extended) without a new barrel/upper. Under MSP interpretation, a SBR is a pistol and a rifle as restrictions go (usually). Plenty of references here on MDS and welcome to Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom