• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    All I can say at the moment is I'm working with a range on hosting a rimfire competition and that we have some companies showing interest in sponsoring the event. Im trying to get a general idea of what people want to shoot. It is leaning more towards a reactive target/speed steel type comp. we want it to be fun for everyone that participates.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not to hijack, but Ontelaunee is still goin' strong? That's great! I used to be a member of Guthsville R&GC as I grew up about a mile away.

Anyway, I"d love to see some NSSF RC around here. I dunno what SCSC's new range/property will be like, but I'd LOVE to see it there.
    Yes, but I think they got exhausted after the 2012 RR WC and did not have their regional last year. Lewistown is doing monthly events and will do the Central PA NSSF Rimfire Challenge over both days of the Oct. 4-5 weekend, this year, instead. South Jersey is also doing their one day regional again on Oct. 18 this year.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    We need a regional NSSF Rimfire Challenge in MD. That would bring everyone young and old out. If Ontelaunee R&GC in PA can get 120 shooters for a regional and 166 for the world championship we should be able to get at least 100 for an event in MD. Then you can look at events like Palmyra's Rimfire Challenge which is a rimfire version of the long running PSA Shootout.
    For a NSSF RC you will need at least 8 or 10 stages evenly divided between pistol ones and rifle ones (If you do a 2-day event you can do rifle one day and pistol the other so would only need 4-5 stages per day). Current rules are 7 steel targets per stage including a stop plate.

I've spoken with the NSSF regarding the event, but the range I'm working with has some limitations. This first event is sort of a trial run that could lead to a sanctioned event

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Not sure how to make it work but I've been interested in shooting a match but given I have a single shot not a mag fed rifle I ca t compete but I have had interest in the tactical matches.

You can still compete in the event, loaner guns will be available, you'd just have to supply the ammunition.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are the PA Steel Shoots that can be shot with rimfire pistol or rifle, or centerfire pistol.

5 steel targets per stage, 5 stages, each shot 5 times.

SLCFSA (near Lebanon, PA) hosts several of these a year. A morning round and an afternoon round. You can shoot both, but only the morning score counts.

There is also the old Chevy Sportsman Team Challenge event. It had falling steel targets. One stage was, IIRC, 1 rifle and 2 pistols, all rimfire. 2 mags loaded each to start, after firing their two mags, the pistol shooters could reload for the rifle shooter.

They also had mixed pistol with 2 rimfire, 1 centerfire. But cuold be shot with 3 rimfire, but shortening some of the range.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    What would you all like to see as prizes?

cash-2.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    .22 LR ammo. Best thing I got out of the 2 prizes I won at the 2013 PSA Rimfire Challenge was a brick of Federal .22. Still saving that brick for down the road.
    Did manage to add another 300 CCI-MiniMags to my collection yesterday at the Hagerstown WM. Got to the WV one too late and missed 333 rd boxes of Win 22.
    So I vote ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I prefer lower entry fees and no prizes.

But if you want to give prizes, cash (or check) or .22 ammo are great.

BTW, I checked the NSSF rules and they are very similar to the PA steel shoot rules, exept rimfire only.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Having a meeting this Saturday to kick around some ideas, I'll be mentioning all of your input!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Action shooting with a rimfire would be fun. Mix it with a few 200 yard IPSC steel targets, some movers, spinners, and a few plate racks.

How about a rimfire sniper-style match? Tiny targets at 10 feet to IPSC steel targets 300-400 yards; it would be a lot cheaper to run than an action match.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You do realize how hard it is to hit anything with a .22LR past 200 yards, Except Jerry with an S&W 617 revolver. And also how hard it is to register a .22 hit at that distance? If is stayed at less than 200 yards, say 175 anything inside that I can engage. There are very few people who can hit anything with a .22 past 200 yards with speed being any part of it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Here is what I posted for rimfire tactical match ideas in the Comp Shooting section.

I got this from another forum:

Equipment:
    Rifles: Any .22 long rifle chambered rifle. Sights: Iron or optics will be allowed. Front rests: Any front rest deemed "tactical"(bipods, sandbags or ruck- sacks). Bench rest type front rests will not be allowed. Any device that allows the rifle to go back into battery will not be allowed. Rear sand bag or sniper socks will be allowed. Shooting mats, spotting scopes or binoculars will be allowed. No fixed rear mono pods. Legal sound suppressors will be allowed.
    Course of fire:
    Zero time: Shooters will be allowed to confirm zeros @ 25; 50; 100; 150 and 200 yards.
    Stage 1 - 4: Dot drills. Max score: 100 pts.
    5 dots per target, one target each at 25 (.5" dot), 50 (1" dot), 75 (2" dot), and 100 (3" dot) yards. Five points per dot. Breaking the edge counts as a "hit". Each miss deducts 5 points. (25 rounds)
    time limit: 25 minutes.
    Stage 5: 150 yard steel plate. Max score 100 pts
    5 chances to make one (1) hit on a 4" steel plate. Shooter engages target until one hit is made. Each miss deducts 20 pts. (5 rounds)
    time limit: 2 minutes
    stage 6: 200 yard steel plate. Max score 100 pts
    same rules as stage 5. Plate is 8 inches by 12 inches. (5 rounds)
    at this time shooter will move to the 50 yard range
    stage 7: 50 yds over barricade max score 100 pts
    5 - three inch circle targets to be engaged over a barricade within one (1) minute time limit. One hit per target. A miss deducts 5 pts. 2 hits in one target deducts 10 points. Saved rounds equal a miss. (5 rounds)
    time limit: 1 minute

stage 8: Know your limits: Max score 100 pts
    shooter engages the circles on the target starting from left to right. Point value increases with each target. If the shooter hits each circle, they are awarded the amount of points for that circle. If the shooter decides to engage a smaller circle and misses, he/she loses all 100 pts. The shooter may stop at anytime and be awarded whatever hit total they have acquired. (max 5 rounds)
    no time limit.
    Stage 9: Hostage shoot: Max score 100 pts
    shooter engages "sentries" (2 clay pigeons) for 25 pts each at 35 yards over a barricade.
    The shooter then engages a "terrorist" for 50 points holding a hostage at 50 yards (paper target). This will be done prone using a "spider hole" under the barricade. There is a 25 pt penalty for missing a sentry. There is a 50 pt penalty for missing hostage terrorist. There is a 100 pt penalty for hitting the hostage. (3 rounds)
    time limit: 3 minutes.

Stage 10: Counter sniper. 100 - 200 yards. 100 bonus points (optional).
    The shooter will proceed back to the 200 yard range. He/she will then detect and engage a camouflaged "sniper" (steel target) that will be located between 100 and 200 yards with one shot in 10 minutes. If the first shot is a “miss”, shooter will re-engage within 10 seconds with a second round for 50 pts. A lane will be defined by engineer tape. There will 100 point penalty for a second miss. (2 rounds)
    total possible score: 600 points max; 700 points with bonus. 50 total rounds. There are no alibis. If a miss – fire cannot be cleared; it will be classified as a "miss". Immediate actions maybe conducted within the line safety officer's guidelines.
    Although this is a "fun" match, all line safety officers commands will be followed. Failure to "cease fire" when commanded will result in disqualification.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I'd like something in 100, 200 and 300 yards.
    Makes you really use your math. Brother and I shoot steel at these distance almost every weekend. 2x2 @100, 4x4 @ 200 and 6x6 @ 300 lots of fun.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    You do realize how hard it is to hit anything with a .22LR past 200 yards, Except Jerry with an S&W 617 revolver. And also how hard it is to register a .22 hit at that distance? If is stayed at less than 200 yards, say 175 anything inside that I can engage. There are very few people who can hit anything with a .22 past 200 yards with speed being any part of it.

Keeping it under 200 yards also increases the number of clubs that can sponsor this event

rauler

May 2, 2012
    I am not a competitor, so shooting a bullseye with .22 isn't my thing. I like reactive targets. I loved it on Top Shots when they did the gallery and shot jars of gumballs, cans of shaving cream, etc. I shoot .22 for fun, not really target competition, so just my opinion. Stuff like that would get me out into competition.

Both can be fun. There is no arguing that shooting reactive targets a la Top Shot is more enjoyable. Sadly, that's nearly impossible to do around here. I'm yet to find such a fun place :sad20:

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Both can be fun. There is no arguing that shooting reactive targets a la Top Shot is more enjoyable. Sadly, that's nearly impossible to do around here. I'm yet to find such a fun place :sad20:

You may be pleasantly surprised

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Mark your calendars, April 26th is the target date. Should have more details around February 22nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom