Whats A Good Holster For A Full Frame 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I have a Galco IWB holster. It's simple and comfortable. For OC, go with Huck's suggestion of the Yaqui.

Got the idea from Jeff Cooper first and then this guy.

images.jpeg

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    1911 + Serpa +LACK OF TRAINING = Gunshot wound to the leg .

Fixed it for you.

The SERPA holster is not inherently dangerous by itself. I have drawn hundreds of times and never once came close to shooting myself. When one becomes complacent, one shoots oneself.

As long as you follow your firearms safety rules you will not ND into your own leg or someone else.

There is a reason despite Tex's retardedness that the USMC is getting the Serpa holster for all Marines. If my elite combat force is willing to use this I'd say its fine.

I use the serpa whenever I don't feel like IWB while carrying in DE/PA/VA/etc.

my $0.02

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    And I have the serpa for the following:
    M&P 9/40
    M&P 45 (Yes they are actually different for best fit)
    Beretta 92F
    RIA 1911 Tactical

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    K.I.S.S. Besides, it just looks good with a 1911.

Amen to that.

Now another simple holster to keep your pistol protected while bashing through the underbrush is the good old Bianchi UM84 series.

Keeps you pistol secured and protected by the flap and can be worn high on the waist or extended down on your thigh. Not as tacticool as the Serpa but reliable and rugged for just walking in the woods.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The guy who shot himself admitted he swtiched from a Safariland to a Serpa on the same session and really wasn't paying attention. The Serpa design had little to do with the ND. The guy (Tex) did not blame the Serpa in this incident.

I have and use both.

CWood

May 2, 2011
    S.MD
    For IDPA I use a Sepra with the release deactivated and for CCW, a leather thumb break of different designs. You need a thumb break for everyday carry.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Tex Grebner is not the first guy to blast his leg with a Serpa. Serpas have a reputation for a reason.

The info is out there if you look at it objectively. I had 2 myself. Some of you guys need to stop being so attached to your choices.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    For my 1911's I just got a Safariland.... Dunno what the number is, I got it at Gun Connection. It's just a passive locking system. It's a lot tighter than I'd like actually, but hopefully with some use it will loosen up some more. I'm also going for a fast draw, where if you're wearing it out in the field, you'd probably want that extra tightness.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    For my 1911's I just got a Safariland.... Dunno what the number is, I got it at Gun Connection. It's just a passive locking system. It's a lot tighter than I'd like actually, but hopefully with some use it will loosen up some more. I'm also going for a fast draw, where if you're wearing it out in the field, you'd probably want that extra tightness.

Your safariland will loosen up a bit over time. I have one for a sig and is well loved but still in great shape. Now I just just need a gun to fill it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Shit ... I think I opened a can of worms , lol.

Im assuming leather holsters are the way to go for a 1911?

Ive had Uncle Mikes for other handguns, and they have worked well for what they cost, and for the use.

Anyone use the polymer style, and are they better for reducing wear marks?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Ive had Uncle Mikes for other handguns, and they have worked well for what they cost, and for the use.

Alessi uses leather.

There is at least one company that makes a Kydex holster that is lined in leather. I have a bookmark someone with their name, I just can't find it now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

IMO, Generally, Steel/Alloy Guns belong in Leather Holsters. Plastic Guns belong in Plastic Holsters. In my experience Plastic Holsters have better features and retention but wear the finish more.

Nylon Holsters are usually have prro retention and dont ride tight to the body or belt.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Alessi uses leather.

There is at least one company that makes a Kydex holster that is lined in leather. I have a bookmark someone with their name, I just can't find it now.

Tucker Gun Leather makes a hybrid that has an option for a suede lining for 15 bucks. It's called The Answer. It's IWB however

Many Safariland holsters are suede lined as well

I have both

Good luck with your choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom