• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badfish55

Mar 8, 2013
    PAX RIVER
    So is there a specific type of lube I should be using to lube up my AR-15 or does it even matter are there any off brands that work note I am really anal about the up keep of my firearms thank you in advance for any comments

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I suppose if one wanted to look at it from a military perspective, you'd use CLP - that's what the military uses.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For low cost and availibility - Mobil 1 synthetic (new, not used oil)

For more money - Slip2000 EWL

I personally prefer Slip2k, have had guns hung up for over a year now, and they're still just as wet as the day I hung them up.

Badfish55

Mar 8, 2013
    PAX RIVER

I personally prefer Slip2k, have had guns hung up for over a year now, and they're still just as wet as the day I hung them up.

Where can I find Slip2k and how much is it for a bottle

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

I use Slip2k on my personal guns and at work. Sure you can use motor oil or something but slip comes in a tiny 1 oz. bottle that fits in any range bag.

My SBR and Glock 19 are at over 2k rounds withoit cleaning, each has been lubed with a couple of drops each over the past 2 years and they still run.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    With the AR the important thing is you lube, they run on motor oil!

But in practice I lube the small parts (e.g., trigger group) with CLP and the bolt with tetra gun grease. But we all have our formulas.\

Tetra is about $7/tube and CLP about $8 for a spray can at many wal-marts.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i thought that tetra stuff was good stuff, but it seemed to really dry out and gum up the couple of times i tried it, and haven't used it since.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I used to be a die hard CLP user. I was then converted by two products after receiving free samples. I now lube everything I own with Weapon Shield and Frog Lube. Using Frog Lube will also score you points with the wife if you like to clean your firearms at the cocktail table while watching TV. It smells like Wintergreen.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Where can I find Slip2k and how much is it for a bottle

4 oz. bottle is available from BCM (www.bravocompanyusa.com), think it was about $12/13 - I just used the last of the 4 oz. bottle after more than 4 years.

Mil-comm TW25 is also another good one, I use that more as a bore treatment - and it does well in that respect. I haven't had to do more than just a quick bore-snake on my AR's and they shine like the first day I got them.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Slip 2k is great, but this new Fireclean stuff is supposed to be even better. They are pricey but last forever.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Slip 2k is great, but this new Fireclean stuff is supposed to be even better. They are pricey but last forever.

Hmm, that sounds interesting then. Might have to give that a go and see how it does. Slip2k has set a pretty good benchmark, from my own experiences.

Sonomer

Jul 22, 2012
    So many threads around on oils and greases on various boards. I second Mobil 1. However recently on slides for my handguns and other tight tolerance moving parts, I have been using a white grease that is made by Mil-Tec. I get it through Cabela's in their NRA cleaning kit. It's amazingly durable and a little goes a lonnggggg way. Remember, if it slides, grease it; if it pivots, oil it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...180/sc/104585580/NRA-Gun-Care-Kit/1387410.uts

elmerjr128

Mar 15, 2011
    BCM included a 1oz bottle (half full) of Slip2k EWL in my recent upper order. I've used the original Slip2k, but not the EWL version. Curious to see how different the two really are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom