• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FNFZ4

Aug 7, 2016
    DC Metro
    Hi guys, I am thinking of selling some of my handguns to fund a shotgun. Whats the best route to take? Private Party? Sell to stores or Store consignments? Whats the process of Face to Face sale these days?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hi guys, I am thinking of selling some of my handguns to fund a shotgun. Whats the best route to take? Private Party? Sell to stores or Store consignments? Whats the process of Face to Face sale these days?

All such sales have to go through an FFL or the MSP. You'll retain the most money if you sell directly to the buyer. Selling to a store or consigning will take a big bite out of your proceeds and/or your time in collecting the money.

Face to face means going to a store that agrees to facilitate the paperwork, or going to a state police barracks to get the ball rolling (with the buyer, and the handgun). Don't walk into the barracks with the gun! Leave it in the car and get some guidance inside. Your buyer will have to have an HQL and pass the usual background check and seven day wait - which means you will have two meetings with the buyer.

Point 357

Jan 20, 2014
    Lexington Park, Md
    I'm in the same boat, except I might/will need to sell some to finance medical care.

If you opt to sell to a gun type shop all they'll offer you wholesale value.

A consignment sale will net you around 20% less than the actual sale price of the gun.

Internet sale options... I have no idea. I think the fees and shipping cost would make this option a hard NO for me. So, I'll be watching this thread for the real knowledgeable responses.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    MSP transfer- cheaper transfer cost for buyer, however you have to personally meet up twice, once to initiate at barracks, second time to actually give handgun to buyer.

Using a local FFL- higher transfer costs, however you only show up once, get cash same day, and buyer only returns to FFL to complete process after 7 day wait. This is the best way, and you can list what you have for sale (after 50 posts) in the Classifieds here then coordinate meetup at FFL. Good idea to reach out in advance to an FFL you would want to use to know transfer pricing, hours, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fastest - Sell outright to Dealer . Get 2/3 of used retail value ( or less if your gun is overstocked , or slow demand)

Easy - Consignment . Percentages vary , but the right shop will often move quickly

Direct - MDS classified or the bulliten board of your Gun Club are best bets. Process outlined above.

If something rare or collectable , let us know more .

FNFZ4

Aug 7, 2016
    DC Metro
    All such sales have to go through an FFL or the MSP. You'll retain the most money if you sell directly to the buyer. Selling to a store or consigning will take a big bite out of your proceeds and/or your time in collecting the money.

Face to face means going to a store that agrees to facilitate the paperwork, or going to a state police barracks to get the ball rolling (with the buyer, and the handgun). Don't walk into the barracks with the gun! Leave it in the car and get some guidance inside. Your buyer will have to have an HQL and pass the usual background check and seven day wait - which means you will have two meetings with the buyer.

Hey thanks this is awesome.

FNFZ4

Aug 7, 2016
    DC Metro
    Fastest - Sell outright to Dealer . Get 2/3 of used retail value ( or less if your gun is overstocked , or slow demand)

Easy - Consignment . Percentages vary , but the right shop will often move quickly

Direct - MDS classified or the bulliten board of your Gun Club are best bets. Process outlined above.

If something rare or collectable , let us know more .

No I dont have something rare or collectible. I have a Glock 26 and a Sig SP2022 that I might sell. leaning towards the glock as I never really did like they way glocks shoot for some reason. but thats another topic. I want to sell one to fund a shotgun purchase.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Call around your local shops. Consignment rates vary by dealer. I've seen them as low as 15%. And you don't have to deal with the buyers.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    No I dont have something rare or collectible. I have a Glock 26 and a Sig SP2022 that I might sell. leaning towards the glock as I never really did like they way glocks shoot for some reason. but thats another topic. I want to sell one to fund a shotgun purchase.

FWIW, sale of a used Glock 26 isn't going to buy you much of a shotgun. For people who are blue label eligible (that's a lot of people) that gun is about $400 plus tax brand new.

To answer the question, consignment is the easiest if you have a good shop. They do all the work, you collect a check eventually.

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021
    FWIW, sale of a used Glock 26 isn't going to buy you much of a shotgun. For people who are blue label eligible (that's a lot of people) that gun is about $400 plus tax brand new.

Using this same logic, I've never sold a single gun to buy another.. The unsettling feeling of not getting top dollar leaves me thinking I'll just keep the dang thing.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD

^^^^Good Advice

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

What caliber SP2022?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or ;

Since this is a Maryland based Forum , and he implies DC metropolitan area , putting 2 plus 2 would imply PG or MoCo .

We mostly semi- friendly , and like to talk gun stuff . Start a thread each about your experiences with each handgun , your aspirations for new shotgun , seek advice for choosing new shotgun , ( but please avoid Birdshot vs.Buckshot ) , and comment in several existing threads where you can constructively add .

You'll get 50 posts inside a week without being a hole or creepy .

Oe join gunbroaker .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    A comment about using MSP, yes you have to meet twice, first meet up at the MSP barracks. But second meetup came be anywhere. Heck you can have buyer come to your house if you want. So it’s not that bad of a setup.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Since the goal is a shotgun, and not knowing what you're looking for, you could also advertise WTT here on MDS. Or advertise WTT/WTS. I've done a couple of trades here. Still need to go though the paperwork and would make sense to do both through a local FFL.

Both parties would do their research to be sure it was a swap they're comfortable doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom