• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I do like Sinclair's pedestal rest varieties. My rear bags are #9 shot, lead filled, though they are a chore too bring to the range --- They also are illegal for most competition matches.

Hart pedestal rests aren't so bad either. I would suggest getting a pedestal rest that weighs at least 12 pounds.

SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here we go again,
    I arrived at the range real early just to find out that I left the rice bags at home. I was very disappointed but with some help from friends at the range, I managed to borrow a good rest and use my jeep headrest for rear bag. After 3 fouling shots, I did 4 10 shot groups (1/2 hr for each group) started with my handload then German MEN, then Wolf Polyformance, and finally the Hirtenberger. The distance is still a 100 yards.
    With my handload, I measure exactly 2.650". other groups, after eliminate 2 fliers (shooter error?) for each group, I got: German=3.09, Wolf=3.069, and Hirtenberger=3.378.
    This time, with better target, good weather, and eyesight (my eyesight change everyday), I think I did a little better than last weekend. But the prone position was very torturous. I will not shoot in this position again with is rifle. Now I can be confident to say that my M1A is a 2.5" rifle for me. in better hands, it could be 1.5" to 2" rifle. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Positiopn Setup.jpg
      Positiopn Setup.jpg
      118.4 KB · Views: 316
    • New target frame.jpg
      New target frame.jpg
      104.2 KB · Views: 312
    • Handload.jpg
      Handload.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 324
    • German MEN.jpg
      German MEN.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 313
    • WolfPolyformance145.jpg
      WolfPolyformance145.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 319
    • Hirtenberger.jpg
      Hirtenberger.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 318

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Good progress, I like how your groups are now almost circular instead of stringing, now you are getting down to breathing and trigger control, would not be surprised with a little more practice you could get the groups under 2" and thats not bad for iron sights at 100 yards.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Due to yesterday mishap, I really want to do it again trying to bring out the best of the M1A. I need a very calm morning so I don't know when the mother nature allow me that. Meanwhile, I will do a lot of wax on wax off and breath in breath out. Thank for encouraging me Augie.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    According to Accuweather, today is the day I really want to do the final test/evaluation for my M1A. I got everything I need for the setup so...no more excuses. I did only two 10 shot groups with my handloads (168 HPBT Hornady plus 39gr of IMR4064. 1 less grain compared to last test.)

1st group started at 10am. temperature was about 40 and no wind. The day was still young so visibility was not very good. you can see my vertical spread was affected. (see the target with more than 1 $ bill.) Exclude a flyer (second shot), the group is measured 2.59"

2nd group started at 11am. Temperature was about 45 and the wind was about 5 mph. My horizontal spread is affected as you can see in the second target with 1 $ bill. No flyer is subtracted, it is measured at 2.61".

Unknown to everyone here on this thread, I started this thread as a joke to my M1A and I did not believe it could do less the 4" group. As the thread is in progress, I start learning more about my rifle with the help of everyone here especially SKIP, Fox123 and Augie and now finally, I become a believer. The funny thing here is, My beloved IMBEL FAL, the rifle that I always think that it is a better design and functioning, is now in question. I may have to run an honest comparison test with the FAL but it will be in a later thread. Thanks everyone and happy holidays.

Attachments

• First target.jpg
      First target.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 263
    • Second target.jpg
      Second target.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 268

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Iron sights at 100 yards, that is nothing to sneeze at. Good shooting and congratulations at sticking with it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Okey, This is the real question. How you experts out there can help me to improve my off hand shooting with the M1A? My off hand score with is rifle is really low. A Lot of time I came home with a bloody finger tip or 2. My MAS 49/56 (.308) is a lot more pleasant to shoot and very accurate because of the absent of the OPERATING ROD. Thanks.

It is not an easy rifle to shoot offhand... Lotsa practice and lotsa dry firing drills.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    It is not an easy rifle to shoot offhand... Lotsa practice and lotsa dry firing drills.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

That what I plan to do with the rifle for the rest of my life. Atleast now I know what to feed the rifle and what size of the target i should use with it. I am not a bench guy. Thanks.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    OLD EYES

For iron sights at 100 yards I would be ecstatic with that grouping. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Iron sightsa at 100 yards you say.......Hmmmm I'd be happy if I could just SEE the target at 100 yards......hitting it is a WHOLE other story!!!! THese old eyes...:lol2:

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Iron sightsa at 100 yards you say.......Hmmmm I'd be happy if I could just SEE the target at 100 yards......hitting it is a WHOLE other story!!!! THese old eyes...:lol2:

You should try aiming technique that Fox123 posted on the bottom of Page 4 in this thread. It did help me alot. Goodluck!

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I do not try to resurrect this thread, but I just got something that I want to share with everyone.

Last Saturday I was kicked out of the 100 yards range again because of an unscheduled event. At first, I was informed that it will be over by 11am, then they came back and let us know that they don't really know when it will be over. Some of us left and I headed to the 200 yards range hoping that people there let me setting up my steel target. I just don't want to go home fully loaded.

You know what, it turned out kicking out of the 100 yards range was one of the best thing that happened to me. I had a chance to meet the great people of the Maryland Rifle Club who were practicing competition shooting there. I learned what equipment they have and what kind of target size they used (12" for prone and 14" for off-hand). But one thing impressed me the most is I saw an older man, about 6.3 ft tall, with prescription glasses (no add on peep-sight) shooting an M14 (semi). He put 25 rounds in the 14" circle in 20 minutes standing (roughly 6 MOA at 200 yards). Suddenly, I felt the rush to bring out my M1A for practice and try to match his effort using his holding technique.

It was a great day last Saturday. I saw it and I now believe it!

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    SlowShooter

Here are a couple of resources to help you:

CMP Coaching Resources page. You will be mostly interested in "Service Rifle and As-Issued Military Rifle Competition Shooting" section but read the rest because the fundamentals are the same.
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/

USAMU International Rifle Marksmanship Guide:
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/us army international rifle marksmanship guide.pdf

I should have included this one also.

The Service Rifle Shooting Guide:
    http://freepdfhosting.com/bdc5fbcb56.pdf

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Highpower shooters are not as bad as people make them out to be! Last Saturday was our Jon Grove Memorial Match. It was an any rifle, any sight type match. Part of the match is shot from standing and part is from the prone position. There were some good prizes to be had and the proceeds from the match go to our junior scholarship program! Thank you for the kind words about Maryland Rifle club, if you are interested in Highpower competition, MRC is THE club!

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Highpower shooters are not as bad as people make them out to be! Last Saturday was our Jon Grove Memorial Match. It was an any rifle, any sight type match. Part of the match is shot from standing and part is from the prone position. There were some good prizes to be had and the proceeds from the match go to our junior scholarship program! Thank you for the kind words about Maryland Rifle club, if you are interested in Highpower competition, MRC is THE club!

Could you kindly let us know who won the competition, name and target number? I left too early due to my low sugar level. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom