• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Intersting pieces. I see Boker as the EU version of CRKT. Always coming out with cool designs... that may not necessarily be practical. Cool nonetheless.

I miss my Boker Bowie. Had it years ago when they first came out with it.

547.jpg

Yea boker is all over the map. I got the besh-wedge for $25.00 and plan on mounting it on my battlebelt for weapon retention. The gnome I just thought was cool. I edc an Emerson and leatherman mut that I am in the process of customizing.

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I have two 29 Knives custom Balis that will be built in the next six months, as well ans a Pinoy Knives Custom Balisong as well .

I just received a few different Bark river Knives for me and the wife, some Kitchen knives and some Bolos .so I am going to put them through the run soon ..

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I just ordered a new EDC knife. I'm very new into the knife world, but this one seemed to have favorable reviews and could take a beating which is what I wanted...
    Ontario Rat 1 in coyote brown/black, i paid $35.50 Shipped which I thought was pretty good. Good buy?

images

Anybody have a link so I can learn how to sharpen a knife properly?

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I just ordered a new EDC knife. I'm very new into the knife world, but this one seemed to have favorable reviews and could take a beating which is what I wanted...
    Ontario Rat 1 in coyote brown/black, i paid $35.50 Shipped which I thought was pretty good. Good buy?

Anybody have a link so I can learn how to sharpen a knife properly?

I haven't owned that particular knife. But, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What do you have to sharpen your knives with? Basic stone? Or...?

Last edited:

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Nada...looking for suggestions :)

Check out circleshooter's thread on the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener.

For keeping it basic...

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is my usual answer for a "go to" sharpening kit. Watch the DVD that's included with it before you begin using it. Use your kitchen knives on 'em first to "break in" the ceramic rods. It'll run you about $20 more than the knife you just bought.

All the rest will depend on how anal you are about NOT letting your edges get too blunt. If you use it to the point that it no longer shaves the hair off your arm... well, a light touch up on a leather strop (or a ceramic rod like on the Sharpmaker) will likely bring that back. If you use the knife on your crabs (or else) then nicks and rolls may appear on the edge. You'll have to re-profile the edge to get rid of those which will require taking more steel off the edge hence coarser stones. Profile your edge based on what you'll use the knife for the most.

If you don't want to spend a lot... very fine grit sandpaper will work too if you have any laying around the house. You'll have to figure out the angle of your edge as this will dictate how "steep" to hold the blade.

Arkansas Tri-Hone set is one I started off with years ago. This one is good for really learning the manual technique. In terms of the technique... choose your poison - plenty of YouTube vids explaining different approaches to getting an edge using a traditional stone method.

http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/catalog/Arkansas_Tri_Hone.htm

The Norton Bench Stone that you'd find for around $5 at Home Depot, Wal-Mart and such is good for repairing damaged edges if you've used your knife too hard. Both sides are too course to put a real fine edge on a knife, but that's where the fine sand paper would finish it off for you. This bench stone is handy to have around.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100069...toreId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100069242#.USmqQDfV5RY

The DMT Dia-Fold (~$25) is also "good to have". This one's handy to have around wherever you go.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/folding-models/double-sided-diafold/

And then it all explodes into a whole bunch of other sharpening equipment - Japanese water stones, diamond stones, ceramic stones, sharpening systems: wicked edge; edge pro; lansky; etc.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    ^^^thank your for the write up! Decided to keep it basic and just ordered the spyderco sharp maker, let's see if I can learn how to sharpen a knife I have a slew of kitchen knives to get me started, then ill move onto knives at my store haha.

Also just ordered this for $60, thought it was a good deal.
    Benchmade griptillian

image_65688.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    ^^^thank your for the write up! Decided to keep it basic and just ordered the spyderco sharp maker, let's see if I can learn how to sharpen a knife I have a slew of kitchen knives to get me started, then ill move onto knives at my store haha.
    Also just ordered this for $60, thought it was a good deal.
    Benchmade griptillian

Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good deal on a full-size Griptilian these days. Not a fan of coated/serrated blades on a folder... but that grip is awesome. It's a Griptilian... it's awesome anyway. You can mod it with some after market Wilkins G10 grips too.

http://www.wilkins-knives.com/

One thing I forgot to mention is that getting into high-speed performance steels on knives presents an issue when sharpening. These steels usually hold an edge for a longer time, but depending on RC hardness, will be difficult to sharpen easily.

:thumbsup:

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good deal on a full-size Griptilian these days. Not a fan of coated/serrated blades on a folder... but that grip is awesome. It's a Griptilian... it's awesome anyway. You can mod it with some after market Wilkins G10 grips too.

http://www.wilkins-knives.com/

One thing I forgot to mention is that getting into high-speed performance steels on knives presents an issue when sharpening. These steels usually hold an edge for a longer time, but depending on RC hardness, will be difficult to sharpen easily.

:thumbsup:

I saw some orange g10 wilkins grips for sale today and they were freaking sexy. I guess i'll be into another expensive ass hobby soon. I really wanted to try a griptilian but couldn't justify spending $100 yet, without knowing what I like in a carry knife..but for $60 figured it was worth giving a shot.

Okiegunner

Jan 8, 2013
    This weekend I should be able to pick up the "Warbeast" tomahawk, custom built by Two Hawks/Polaris Trading Company. 6150 spring steel and fire hardened hickory handle wrapped with black para-cord.

BTW...My OKC Rat-1 came scary sharp right out of the box. Great inexpensive edc knife!

Draico

Apr 29, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Hey blade gurus. Need some advice on an edc. Currently I'm thinking between 3 knives because of their price points. They aren't too expensive.
    Spyderco Manix 2
    Spyderco Endura 4 (both super lightweight and i've always wanted a spyderco knives)
    Sog Aegis (from the reviews online seems to be lightweight and and solid knife)

I have a few Benchmade knives that i don't feel comfortable edc because if i were to lose them i would probably cry.

Anyways looking for a good solid edc knife that fairly lightweight.
    Looking in the $50-$70 range all other suggestions are welcomed. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom