• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    What brass do you prefer to reload. Once fires brass.
    I have different one just curious what you like and why.

I am reloading 223 and 9mm

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I use nothing but LAPUA BRASS because no matter what caliber it is in, LAPUA BRASS will hold .4 grains less powder that any other company's brass in that caliber.
    And because its the most expensive and Mr Piney uses it has to be the best !!

LAPUA BRASS

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Never found any once fired Lapua brass, but if it aint loaded on a Dillon 650 its a waste of time :sarcasm:

All joking aside, I used to be a big Winchester brass fan, but lately Win brass has been crap for me. Ive had Win brass split at the shoulder & mouth at first firing - probaby from insufficient annealing from Win.And that is with brass new out of the bag. Havent had that issue with anyone elses brass.

Ive had luck with F C (Federal) 223 brass. If you use newer F C stamped 223, you may find that its a tad under the recommended trim to size of 1.75" (not 1.76 or over!!!) Alot of it Ive been finding is around 1.74", but the plus is you dont need to trim it the first time (and often the 2nd time). Still a good idea to check your case lengths though.

Using those cases at 1.74" is fine, and actually still with in SAAMI specs.

I think most major/domestic brand brass works fine.

GFL headstamped 223 brass, has the flasholes way off center - Id steer clear of those.

For pistol brass - I think its hard to beat Starline, if your going new. But once fired 9mm cases are as common as house flies, and it makes no sense to buy Starline brass in that instance.

Be aware that some 9mm brass may have a primer crimp in it. WCC is one that comes to mind.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    All joking aside, I used to be a big Winchester brass fan, but lately Win brass has been crap for me. Ive had Win brass split at the shoulder & mouth at first firing - probaby from insufficient annealing from Win.And that is with brass new out of the bag. Havent had that issue with anyone elses brass..

I'm with you on the Winchester brass, one bag of 50 only came with 46, then 4 of the 46 already had split mouths. Loaded 20 and 4 of the 20 split on the first firing. With that said I'm not saying I'll not use Winchester, but if I've got a choice I'll choose other brands over it first.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I use nothing but LAPUA BRASS because no matter what caliber it is in, LAPUA BRASS will hold .4 grains less powder that any other company's brass in that caliber.
    And because its the most expensive and Mr Piney uses it has to be the best !!

LAPUA BRASS

What he said. :lol: Seriously, I am happy with the brass that I find at the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lake City as I have a lot of it.

Remington and Winchester are good, excepting some recent reports of problems with Winchester. Federal tends to be a bit softer and the primer pockets get loose with a few firings of moderate to heavy loads.

Nope, no Lapua brass for .223. Especially in a gas gun.

But as mentioned, free brass is best.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Favorite brass????? "OP" brass. (Other People's!)

Federal brass is very consistent and has given me very good results and accuracy.

Remington brass is consistent.

Winchester brass has been very good to me, also.

Lake City brass is incredibly good in my M1 Garand, M1A and AR(s).

The worst brass I've ever encountered was early production Starline. It's the only brass that I've used (in .45 acp) where the boolit could be pushed inside the case AFTER sizing!!!

With that said, I'm not the guy that tries to use my brass 'forever'.
    IF I get 7 loading out of it, I'm satisfied that it's lead a good and useful period of time.

After 5 loadings, I pay a little more attention to the condition of the web area and for mouth splits.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For actual ease of reloading, Remington once fired brass. If the primer crimp is already removed, Lake City brass. I haven't purchased .223/5.56 brass in five years, everything I have is range pickup. Six gallon zip lock bags full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom