What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    +1 for the M&p 22. I love mine. Thousands of rds through it without issue.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And doing that while in MD would be a crime. Not a good idea to advocate this on a public forum.

Nit picky I know, but we try to do the right thing here.

Dec 31, 2012
    SR22
    Double Action/Single Action
    easy to shoot and very easy to clean
    reasonably accurate
    reliable
    versatile
    fun
    available and affordable
    good trainer or even defensive weapon (yeah,yeah, let the griping begin)
    and of course a Ruger warranty

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    My favorite is my single six. That thing will shoot the wings off a fly. I used it rabbit hunting a lot.

I've also got a Mark III Hunter that shoots well but it's a pain in the butt to clean.

I've had my eye on a Colt Frontier Scout for a while, but seems like a pain to buy handguns here in MD. I've got to find another single six for my Dad, he told me this weekend that his got stolen. He had that gun for over 30 years, and I remember shooting it as a kid. I was hoping to inherit it some day, but that'll never happen now. I'm sure it got sold for drugs.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I own a Browning Buckmark, but I would not recommend it as a first handgun.

The Bersa .22 or Walther P-22 are much better for a beginner, but I would also say that there is not that much of a jump to a nice 9mm. Don't be afraid of bigger bore guns just because they are bigger Several new shooters have taken to my 9mm Browning High Power on their first day of shooting.

Last edited:

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    m&p 22 it is so awesome and if you like it you can get the same exact gun in 9mm. and it is built to last.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Pretty much any of those mentioned will serve you well and be a fun gun. As for me, I have several 22 handguns, but the 2 I take most often to the range are my S&W k-22 6" barrel and my Ruger Mk II with 5" bull barrel. The Mark II is accurate and fun,but the Smith will outshoot it. I also once had an old Ruger Single Six flat gate (an variaton from probably the 50's that I owned in the mid-late 80's). It shot well and I liked it pretty well. I just got talked out of it (and enticed) by a trade with an old gun buddy. Before I purchased my K-22 I was considering a Ruger Single Six Convertable which comes with a 22 LR cylinder plus a separate 22 Mag cylinder. FWIW, if I purchased a Single Six, that's what i would go for.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My favorite is my single six. That thing will shoot the wings off a fly. I used it rabbit hunting a lot.

I've also got a Mark III Hunter that shoots well but it's a pain in the butt to clean.

I've had my eye on a Colt Frontier Scout for a while, but seems like a pain to buy handguns here in MD. I've got to find another single six for my Dad, he told me this weekend that his got stolen. He had that gun for over 30 years, and I remember shooting it as a kid. I was hoping to inherit it some day, but that'll never happen now. I'm sure it got sold for drugs.

Hopefully he made a report. If he could supply a serial number and if it ever turned up, there's a chance he can get it back. If he doesn't know the serial number, but had to clear it through the State Police, they should be able to get the serial number. Plus if the perp can be determined, he can face a day in court. (and, yes I know all handguns have to go through State Police these days. However, that wasn't true 30 years ago unless you purchased from a dealer).

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    He filed a report with the cops. He lives out in Oregon, so I'm not sure which police department handles it. My Dad knows who stole the gun, but the guy fled to Nevada and turns out the guy is heavy into the white powder stuff. One of my Dad's buddies convinced him to hire the guy for a day to do some yard work. Kind of sucks, you try to help a guy out and let him earn a little money and the guy rips you off.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    He filed a report with the cops. He lives out in Oregon, so I'm not sure which police department handles it. My Dad knows who stole the gun, but the guy fled to Nevada and turns out the guy is heavy into the white powder stuff. One of my Dad's buddies convinced him to hire the guy for a day to do some yard work. Kind of sucks, you try to help a guy out and let him earn a little money and the guy rips you off.

Seems like an ATF case since the guy flew the coop into another state.

With the serial number reported (presuming it could be supplied), there is some chance it might turn back up.

While I'm sure the buddy had no idea something like this would happen, with buddies like that, no one needs enemies.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I know this post is somewhat dated, but my choices after owning a MKIII with a bull barrel would be:

1. Ruger SR-22
    2. Ruger 22/45 Lite
    3. Browning Buckmark.

I favor the SR22 for it's smaller size for my kids to shoot, lighter weight for my kids to shoot, reliability, now that the bugs have been fixed, and especially for the ease of break down and cleaning. I found that the weight of the heavy barrels was'nt so hot for lengthy range sessions.

The MkI, II, III series are kind of a pain to break down at first but it's easy to get used to. They say the Buck Mark is a bear to break down.

So it went to ease of cleaning first, weight, and of course they're all in the same very good reliability category. Should be accurate enough for plinking.

However, if I was picking for more of a budget target shooting pistol, I'd opt for one of the other two, likely the 22/45 for the 0.9" extra barrel length and sight radius.

I like the price range they're all in the $300-375 slot depending on where you shop.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Yoshi,

Did your CZ .22 slide need any fitting before if functioned? I've read that some do. That's kept me from buying one yet.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Old School...Hi Standard but admit it is a nostalgia thing as the one I own now is the same type my Dad taught me to shoot a pistol with. Having said that, still very accurate for 56 year old gun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Buy yourself a 9mm that can accept a .22 conversion kit. I have a CZ P-01 that I use for both and I love it. Other manufacturers have similar kits.
    This. I dumped my Neos after I bought the MACS conversion kit for my Hi-Power. Nothing wrong with the Neos, it shot great, but all I ever did with it was plink, and the conversion kit worked fine for that.

The nice thing about the conversion kits are being able to use the tuned trigger from your existing gun... if I pay through the nose to tune my BHP, I'd like to use it as much as possible. :)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    There are probably more recommendations for Ruger's than anything else. This is because there are more deals on them, and you can find them everywhere. And, you usually cannot go wrong with one.

I grew up on the Browning Challnger, and will be getting a Buckmark as I like the feel of them better, just as accurate if not more, but MUCH easier to clean.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    There are probably more recommendations for Ruger's than anything else. This is because there are more deals on them, and you can find them everywhere. And, you usually cannot go wrong with one.

I grew up on the Browning Challnger, and will be getting a Buckmark as I like the feel of them better, just as accurate if not more, but MUCH easier to clean.
    Smart person.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice so far! Seems to be lots of love for Rugers here. Unfortunately I took a look at a "how to disassemble and reassemble" video and.... Dear Lord. Guess I've got lots to learn!

And yes, I did mention this in my intro post a couple days ago, but thought I would actually give my situation and ask the broader community here (sorry if violation of some sort :/ )

I haven't read this whole post, just the first page so this may have been covered. I have Ruger MK IIs and IIIs and you are right in that they suck to take apart to clean. You can buy a sped strip set up from Majestic arms to eliminate this. Also, I really like my Buck Mark and it's easy to clean. For any self defense situation I would not want a single action gun. You want to be able to pull the trigger as fast as possible and not have to remember to thumb the hammer under stress. Also, Welcome to the club! Rent a few guns and see what you like. I really like a S&W 716 and will get one soon I hope.

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    I posted earlier in this thread that I had really liked a MKIII that I tried. I recently bought one and thought I'd update.

The trigger on mine isn't as nice as on the one I rented. Out of the box the trigger was gritty and had lots of creep. (Yes, after cleaning it thoroughly). Now, after about 500 rounds or so the gritty feel is gone but the creep is still annoying. I'll see how it feels after another 500 rounds, but I'm thinking I might want to upgrade with the Volquartsen trigger.

Otherwise I am happy with it. It's fun to shoot and it's more accurate than me. I don't mind the disassembly/assembly process at all. Once I did it a couple of times and figured out the tricks it is actually quite easy

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom