• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    the RCBS bullet puller is not an option. if you use the puller it could set the round off and be an issue.

What I do is take 2 vice grips and pull the bullets out and put the powder in the yard and put the bullets in my melting pot.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    the RCBS bullet puller is not an option. if you use the puller it could set the round off and be an issue.

What I do is take 2 vice grips and pull the bullets out and put the powder in the yard and put the bullets in my melting pot.

Someone is gonna walk through your yard smoking, drop some ashes, and be blown a mile high.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Someone is gonna walk through your yard smoking, drop some ashes, and be blown a mile high.

Since no one in my family or friends that come over dont smoke and i put the powder inside the finced back yard i would hope they would.

Really it breaks down fast and the ammount in the shells isnt all that great so there is no danger but the niturgen in the powder is great for the flowers

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Get an automatic center punch, hold with pliers and aim...

There are those who don't know better and may just do that. FYI, without the chamber and bolt face to keep the case together it becomes shrapnel. Yes the .22 bullet does move a few feet....but if it can go over a mile out of a gun, where does that other energy go? This is even cooler with bigger cartriges.

Francis is lightening up now, but remember that our noobs may not know better.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Old ammo disposal (Wicomico County)

I just had to deal with this issue. For some reason, my father collected unfired rounds he found in the wild and brought them to his house. OK! Yeah! He's a pack-rat and he never throws anything away.
    So, I have a hand full of old H&R .25 auto rounds, some ANCIENT .22 rounds, a .44mag round, and a .30 round from an old M-1. These rounds were ALL found in a saltwater-marsh and had been weathering there for decades!.
    I called the local Sheriff's Dept. and after several calls, I found a deputy who told me to bring them in and told me that he would take care of them.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Local PD...I ended up with an almost perfect WWII vintage box (minus rounds) of .45 ball via a LEO friend, says they probably get 1-2 calls a week like that (but rarely stuff as cool as vintage Mil. Issue Ball)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Without the chamber to hold the case together to generate pressure, the case splits at a fairly low pressure.

In the past, I have tossed them in the fire, and they go bang, not even tossed that much ash around.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I would be careful pulling rimfire cartridges apart since the primer material is in the rim and exposed to trauma.
    If the cartridge has simply failed to fire, even with a good primer strike, I rotate the rim so that the pin hits another spot which (hopefully)has primer compound.(easier with a revolver or bolt action)
    If it is really bunged up, then I would bury it or drop it in the range dud bucket.
    "Shrapnel"
    There was an article in the 1960 NRA reloading manual about exploding loaded rounds with heat. The 30-06 rounds detonated with a hot electrical wire inside a ~20"x20"x20" (this is from memory)cardboard box failed to produce any fragments that would go through the box. This does not rule out stuff that could injure eyes, but the injury would not be life threatening.
    Therefore don't do it if you value your or your buddies eyes.
    DocAitch

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Mythbusters cooked some bullets in an oven, and the bullet and casing did not have enough energy to damage the glass in the oven. In an open environment the energy is blasted out in all directions whereas in a gun it is channeled within the chamber. Still throwing a bullet in a fire still is not smart, for the possible projectile and lead fumes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If it doesn't go off the first time, try it again. If it doesn't go off the second time, it's definitely a dud. I just did this with about 30 round of Winchester bulk ammo. They all went off the second time. Make sure the first dent is not under the firing pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom