• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdphotographer

Feb 10, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I went to several of the big Tire retailers to get some wheel wights so I can get back into casting and all of them said they cant give me any.Apparently they have contracts with scrap companies and have to dispose of the WW's in this manner for environmental reasons.The ones I checked were in Fairfax VA.Is this just a VA thing?Where can I get some WW's?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Good luck. The greenie weenies have p-whipped Congress into passing all sorts of idiotic laws based on the non-existent danger of lead getting into the ground water or some such nitwit thinking. Next time you talk to one of them, maybe after he's done crying over a dead tree, ask him whether the danger posed by lead in the ground means all the Civil War battlefields ought to be declared to be hazardous material sites.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Haven't done it in ages, but we used to go to the smaller garages or privately owned ones and usually there is someone there who is willing to give you some or all they have at the time.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree. I haven't had to scrounge for wheel weights in a while, but the smaller privately owned stores are more likely to work with you - especially if you get your vehicle serviced there and buy stuff from them like tires. They'll probably charge more than someplace like Jiffy Lube for an oil change so it's a trade off and a 'relationship building' opportunity.

Last year I bought 50 lb's or so of "wheel weight" ingots off a Flea Bay seller. Not my first choice of a source and who knows where the lead came from. It checked out OK and I've had no issues with bullets casted from it.

Another source of lead is to do some volunteer work on State Park ranges. You'd be amazed at how many big coffee cans you can fill with spent bullets when you rake and clean up the range's backstop berm. You have to work for it, but it has its rewards.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I get them from work, I'm a mechanic...:D We don't do a whole lot of tire work like a tire shop would, but I've got enough for my purposes. Don't bother trying our shop, it's spoken for!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I haven't priced them in a few years but scuba divers use lead weights to help offset the buoyancy of a wet suit. Call a scuba shop and ask what they cost.

BTW, there are solid weights and pouches filled with shot. Both are used for the same purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom