Where to find a relatively cheap USGI surplus 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...So the question is, where are the more recent surplus 1911s? I know they were in service all the way up through 1984. ... Or have none of the recent 1911s ended up in civilian hands?

The WWII pistols ARE the recent ones. As I understand it, Uncle Sam did not acquire any more 1911A1's after WWII. They were all WWII (or earlier) surplus.

By 1984 they were getting pretty worn and haggerd, which is why the M9was adopted.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm not. I was told by our GMC that the weapons were issued new when the ship was commissioned in 1982. Don't remember much from 20 years ago. though I'm real sure our M14s were very 'vintage'.

In NO way are we knocking your knowledge and just want to make that clear so no hard feelings arise. Based on your response it is very unlikely, though remotely possible the USN had a few left in storage from WWII that were never issued until the ship was commissioned in 1982 OR the guns were rebuilds to new condition then issued upon the 1982 commission; hence the so-called new guns. If there was a more recent (later than WWII) contract run for the DOD 1911-A1 U.S. Property guns up to 1982, I am totally unaware of it.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just a wild a$$ed thought, what was the predecessor to NCIS issuing back in '82? Could the USN have bought 1911s "off the books"?

Didn't a USMC senior officer order some custom Kimber's for his troops in Afghanistan back around '02 or '03?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I wonder how many were sold to other countries rather than us?

Few I think. As noted, the guns were old. The taxpayers got their money's worth on those guns. Not many other countries were using the .45ACP when we retired the old gun.

I wonder how many M9s we paid for that were given to other countries?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just a wild a$$ed thought, what was the predecessor to NCIS issuing back in '82? Could the USN have bought 1911s "off the books"?

Didn't a USMC senior officer order some custom Kimber's for his troops in Afghanistan back around '02 or '03?

My understanding is that SPFLD has been recently refurbishing 1911-A1's for the U.S. Military in the past few years and also possibly supplying NEW ones. Also based on some feedback from undisclosed sources, the same mfg'r has been supplying new M1A's as well. Suppose we all can thank Uncle Willie for Cap'n Crunch.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Sorry mikec, I forgot to answer your second question. My response to it; don't know.

Referencing recent milsurp imports a few came in from Quatemala, yea, the same place as the Garands:tdown: I haven't seen any of them (1911-A1) but if they are like the majority of the Garands they're not worth having.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The largest semi-public military users of 1911s. For years has been USMC Spec Ops . They have been aftermarket everything except bare frames, and had been complaining that they were running out of rebuildable frames , so not out of the question for a few new frames .
    Other more secretive small units deal with all maner of weapons from all over the world for specific needs, so small quanties of civillian 1911s not out of the question. But all told we're probably talking about enough recent guns/ frames to fit in a single car trunk.
    As to the OP's quest, the simple answer is that USGI and affordable shooter no longer belong in same sentance.
    Get a modern production gun of 1911A1 reminiscent configuration. The better ones will be made of better steel, more consistant tolerences, and frequently subtlilly better fixed sights.
    There are cheaper, and there are more complusivly historically correct, but the mid point, and standard of comparison is the Springfield.

The latest Navy 1911s that I worked on were WWII vintage. I got out in 1972. The earliest were Colts mostly 1937. All were original except a few I changed barrels and springs.

All were stamped "Property of US Government" or "USN" or both.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    yep 1911a1 ceased production with the end of wwII.

we produced almost 2 million in wwII alone, plus spare parts.

sidearms are not used in nearly the same number as rifles, so it was more than enough to hold us over for many decades with the ability to repair/rework them with the huge number of parts and guns on hand.

maybe one day we'll get a sympathetic administration that will allow the surplus stocks to be sold off, they could make enough selling old 1911's to replace the entire US military inventory of sidearms if they wanted to.

same with rifles, if they sold off all the old m16's and m14's even as parts kits,they could make enough to fund much of the cost of updating current issue rifles.

it wouldnt be hard to get done, im not sure it would even need to be done through the legislature.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'd say the OP received the answer to his question quite well, be it the one he was looking for or not, with a nice history lesson to boot! Personally I found the evolvement (if there is such a word) of this thread to be one of the more interesting threads that I have read in quite some time. Thanks to the OP for the start and all those who have contributed. Good going guys!!!

Dans390

Apr 14, 2007
    York Pa
    I've got a rem-rand 1911
    like the one I had across the pond
    The most old issue 1911's I've seen in
    20yrs is @ the York Pa Show
    Musta been 30 or so @ last macinegun show

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'd also love a usgi 1911, and don't mind a mixmaster. that said, they are still too rich for my blood....

I've been thinking of getting just a slide (Reminton Rand). I have the matching typewriter. And an underwood carbine, an IBM carbine, several smith corona 1903a3's.....the pen might be mightier than the sword but typewriter guns beat them both.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'd also love a usgi 1911, and don't mind a mixmaster. that said, they are still too rich for my blood....

I've been thinking of getting just a slide (Reminton Rand). I have the matching typewriter. And an underwood carbine, an IBM carbine, several smith corona 1903a3's.....the pen might be mightier than the sword but typewriter guns beat them both.

Good point!!! And they all print on paper!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Yeah the Navy hung onto 1911's for quite a while. My first sea tour was on a ship 86-90. Quarterdeck watchstanders carried 1911's the whole time I was there. As I remember most if not all were in very sad shape. I honestly cannot remember how they were marked but I can remember being able to rock the slides alot!
    When I went to the Boat team, we kept 1911's in the inventory into the late 90's. Most were very worn and I wouldn't be surprised if they were rebuilt many times over. I preferred 686's, they were much easier to maintain when you spend alot of time in saltwater. Until 9-11, we got alot of leftovers and had to scrounge gear, hence why we still had 1911's.

As I remember the west coast Force Recon used (or maybe still use) custom 1911s made by Kimber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom