• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naaze

Dec 5, 2008
    Best Gals and Guys,

I am an exchange student from Europe studying here for half a year. Now that my time here is -regretfully- coming to an end, shooting a gun is a priority on my to-do list, before I go back home (this isn't that easy to do in europe, at least not where i'm from, and let's face it, if there's one place to shoot a gun it's in the U.S. right?).

My question, therefore, is: where can I shoot close to baltimore city? I don't have a gun, nor ammo, nor any material for that matter (never shot before, so basic training is lacking too). I also do not have a car, so if I could get to the place by public transport that would be nice too.

Alright, thanks in advance for your reply,

G

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Welcome! It's a shame you didn't find us sooner as there are many members here who would have gladly made plans to meet with you and let you shoot a variety of their guns.

You should look into Continental Arms in Timonium. They're not far off of York Road which is on a bunch of bus lines. You can buy your ammo there and rent a gun from them.

I'm not sure what sort of ID you will need though since you're not a U.S. citizen.

I took several Japanese visitors to On Target a few years ago and I believe their passports were sufficient to get onto the range but I supplied all of the guns and ammo.

Check back here frequently. Several members here work at Continental and they can provide more information.

Naaze

Dec 5, 2008
    Hey Spot77,

Thanks for the reply. It is a pity i'm late, i know. I first tried to convince the guys i know to go and shooting, but i do not really see that happening anymore. So this is kinda my last resort.

I'll be waiting for more tips man. Thanks!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm going to second the recommendation for continental in timonium. They are just donw the street from the light rail stop behind the timonium fairgrounds. Their prices are reasonable, and they have a nice selection. As far as rentals in the baltimore area, they are your best (only?)bet.

If you are under the age of 21, you may need to take someone older with you.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Yoy MUST get a hunting license before you touch ANY modern gun or ammunition. There is a dispute about if this applies to you on an FFL's premises, but do not take the chance.
    You can get a Regulated Shooting Area Hunting License in MD for $6 and it does not require a hunter safety class.
    You can also get a similar license for another state (Michigan I think) for about the same price online. A hunter license in any state is good.

As far as shooting without a hunting license, you may shoot cap and ball, black powder firearms because the law does not apply to those.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    ahh hell, come to west virginia and i'll let you blow off a few rounds on private property where you won't be disturbed.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Yoy MUST get a hunting license before you touch ANY modern gun or ammunition. There is a dispute about if this applies to you on an FFL's premises, but do not take the chance.
    You can get a Regulated Shooting Area Hunting License in MD for $6 and it does not require a hunter safety class.
    You can also get a similar license for another state (Michigan I think) for about the same price online. A hunter license in any state is good.

As far as shooting without a hunting license, you may shoot cap and ball, black powder firearms because the law does not apply to those.

-----------
    this is simply not true!
    he can go to a range and rent/shoot or go with friends who own guns and shoot them.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    you can go here to rent and shoot guns, you can also rent a machine gun to shoot.
    www.selectfire.com

115 Holsum Way # C
    Glen Burnie, MD 21060
    (410) 768-3473
    Get directions

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    -----------
    this is simply not true!
    he can go to a range and rent/shoot or go with friends who own guns and shoot them.
    Read the ATF websight and the newsletters. A non resident alien cannot possess modern ammo or modern firearms except for a few exceptions (like with a hunting license).

(R1) May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;

2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;

3. certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;

4. officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;

5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and

6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien CANNOT purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Department of Homeland Security (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) AND (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 consecutive days immediately prior to the firearms transaction.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1]

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Read the ATF websight and the newsletters. A non resident alien cannot possess modern ammo or modern firearms except for a few exceptions (like with a hunting license).

I think you are definitely wrong on this one. If you are right, then the ATF could have the biggest bust in its history in Waikiki, where there are dozens of indoor ranges that cater to Japanese tourists who want to shoot a gun. Same thing in Vegas.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think you are definitely wrong on this one. If you are right, then the ATF could have the biggest bust in its history in Waikiki, where there are dozens of indoor ranges that cater to Japanese tourists who want to shoot a gun. Same thing in Vegas.
    Like I said before, there is some question regarding on an FFL's premises because after all they are allowed to rent a firearm to and sell ammunition to a juvenile while on the FFL's premises to be used only on the FFL's premises, but outside of an FFL's premises it is illegal to do so. However, a juvenile is not a prohibitted person for possession.
    Now think of non-resident aliens this way, unless they fit one of the exceptions they are prohibitted persons the same as felons. So if it is ok to let a non-resident alien to fire a gun and posses ammunition, then it would be ok for a felon to do so under the same situation which I seriously doubt is legal.

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (1) who has been convicted in any
    court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment
    for a term exceeding one year;
    (2) who is a fugitive from justice;
    (3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted
    to any controlled substance (as
    defined in section 102 of the Controlled
    Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
    (4) who has been adjudicated as a
    mental defective or who has been
    committed to a mental institution;
    (5) who, being an alien—
    (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the
    United States; or
    (B) except as provided in subsection
    (y)(2), has been admitted to the
    United States under a nonimmigrant
    visa (as that term is defined in section
    101(a)(26) of the Immigration
    and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.
    1101(a)(26)));

(6) who has been discharged from
    the Armed Forces under dishonorable
    conditions;
    (7) who, having been a citizen of the
    United States, has renounced his citizenship;
    (8) who is subject to a court order
    that—
    (A) was issued after a hearing of
    which such person received actual
    notice, and at which such person had
    an opportunity to participate;
    (B) restrains such person from
    harassing, stalking, or threatening an
    intimate partner of such person or
    child of such intimate partner or person,
    or engaging in other conduct
    that would place an intimate partner
    in reasonable fear of bodily injury to
    the partner or child; and
    (C) (i) includes a finding that such
    person represents a credible threat to
    the physical safety of such intimate
    partner or child; or
    (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits
    the use, attempted use, or
    threatened use of physical force
    against such intimate partner or
    child that would reasonably be expected
    to cause bodily injury; or
    (9) who has been convicted in any
    court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic
    violence, to ship or transport in
    interstate or foreign commerce, or possess
    in or affecting commerce, any firearm
    or ammunition;
    or to receive any
    firearm or ammunition which has been
    shipped or transported in interstate or
    foreign commerce.

So if I was an FFL in Hawaii, I would sell them hunting licenses too just to cover my ass.

By the way Don, off topic, check out the DC forum.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Like I said before, there is some question regarding on an FFL's premises because after all they are allowed to rent a firearm to and sell ammunition to a juvenile while on the FFL's premises to be used only on the FFL's premises, but outside of an FFL's premises it is illegal to do so. However, a juvenile is not a prohibitted person for possession.
    Now think of non-resident aliens this way, unless they fit one of the exceptions they are prohibitted persons the same as felons. So if it is ok to let a non-resident alien to fire a gun and posses ammunition, then it would be ok for a felon to do so under the same situation which I seriously doubt is legal.

So if I was an FFL in Hawaii, I would sell them hunting licenses too just to cover my ass.

By the way Don, off topic, check out the DC forum.

They don't sell them hunting licenses. I've taken my Japanese in-laws to one of those places before, and all they do is sign a simple waiver, pick out the firearm they want to shoot, and go to town punching holes in paper. If they are FFLs, then they get regular audits, and the ATF doesn't seem to mind that they cater 100% to foreign visitors, so I think it is fine.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    They don't sell them hunting licenses. I've taken my Japanese in-laws to one of those places before, and all they do is sign a simple waiver, pick out the firearm they want to shoot, and go to town punching holes in paper. If they are FFLs, then they get regular audits, and the ATF doesn't seem to mind that they cater 100% to foreign visitors, so I think it is fine.

I am seeing what you are saying, but the audits don't cover rentals on the premises.

It may be one of those laws never enforced, or there might just be an exception for on the FFL's premises, I don't know, but it is easy to get a cheap hunting license and I just think it is a good idea to spend the $6-$15 and a few minutes to get a hunting license just to be safe.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    We have a lot of students that come up to Continental.

All they need is a Passport & someone who knows how to shoot. We will not let someone who has no shooting experience out on the firing line alone, they must come with some one who has firearms training or experience.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922
    It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person......(5) who, being an alien—
    (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
    ( except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));

We have been over that in a German forum a couple of times as some guys wanted to shoot FA during their holiday and they went as far as to submit a request for clarification to the ATF. I have highlited the relevant section...

Basically you may not relinquish or transfer ownership to anyone that is not allowed to have a weapon. Nonetheless when you give it to him on your property with the implicit intention of not leaving it with the gun and also using it only as you direct him you do not relinquish ownership and therefore it is legal. It becomes really difficult to prove if you are on public land with the gun, but on a range that is supervised and has controled access you cannot even be charged for neglience if the guy somehow manages to run off with the gun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    We have a lot of students that come up to Continental.

All they need is a Passport & someone who knows how to shoot. We will not let someone who has no shooting experience out on the firing line alone, they must come with some one who has firearms training or experience.

So once we clear up the hunting liscense bit, when are we meeting up to show Naaze some lead throwing hospitality ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    We have been over that in a German forum a couple of times as some guys wanted to shoot FA during their holiday and they went as far as to submit a request for clarification to the ATF. I have highlited the relevant section...

Basically you may not relinquish or transfer ownership to anyone that is not allowed to have a weapon. Nonetheless when you give it to him on your property with the implicit intention of not leaving it with the gun and also using it only as you direct him you do not relinquish ownership and therefore it is legal.

:thumbsup:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    So once we clear up the hunting liscense bit, when are we meeting up to show Naaze some lead throwing hospitality ;)

You and I are the ones with the guns and ammo, he's just pulling the trigger, nothing in there saying he can't be a trigger puller.

Just say the word. I'm pretty busy during the week, but weekends are free (unless it snows).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You and I are the ones with the guns and ammo, he's just pulling the trigger, nothing in there saying he can't be a trigger puller.

Just say the word. I'm pretty busy during the week, but weekends are free (unless it snows).

Pretty much the same deal here, even if I do work weekends(scheduled sat&sun for 3 weeks:(), I am off at 4:30, and it takes about an hour to get to Continental. However Smokey lives about 5 minutes away, and as a teacher really only works about 10 days a year, so he should be free to join us:D

Naaze

Dec 5, 2008
    Guys,

Thanks for all the hospitaliy! If i'm correct I don't need a liscence right. ANd if I do, i do not really care (if it's six bucks), is kinda cool to have at home i guess.
    Also, thanks for all the proposals to let me join you at the shooting range. My exams are till next saturday, from then I have all the time till the 22nd of dec, when i leave.

Alright, again thanks for everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom