• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    OK y'all, the wait is over and she is here and got her new dress on. Ruger SR1911 with a set of VZ Operator IIs. And you can also see she didn't do too bad for her maiden voyage at 10 yards.
    289188_4520684584023_378931089_o.jpg

304497_4520737065335_1613089763_n.jpg

Smooth trigger, not too heavy, back on target fast....now to get a trigger job and night sights...eventually. I'm in no rush...

Damn! I'd be more than happy to shoot a group like that with my regular peice, much less a new gun on it's first night out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Did you start "shooting the group" after the first or second round instead of the bullseye? With a group like that you should have been all in the red. Sights off maybe?
    The gun is a beauty.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Happy to report that the pistol shoots just fine. And the owner will too from now on ;)
    Great meeting you. Had a good time. Thanks again!

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Happy to report that the pistol shoots just fine. And the owner will too from now on ;)

I think you meant to post this in the other thread but thanks again! :) I owe you an adult beverage.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville

I think you meant to post this in the other thread but thanks again! :) I owe you an adult beverage.

I was thinking the same thing, as I'm subbed to both threads, lol.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    What say Chad and the rest of the 1911 enthusiasts about this model form RIA?

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...matic+Pistol&cal=45AP&fin=&sit=&zipcode=20619

It's a snazzy looking gun but am I over thinking it and should I just go with a Ruger? I don't intend it for serious range work. I mean I'm not going to make it my IDPA or USPSA pistol but I feel the need to own at least one 1911.

For the price of that one, you would probably do better getting the Ruger. Otherwise, If you want a nice usable 1911, the American Classic II is very nice. I just wanted one that had closer tolerances, a nice trigger, and the highest quality for the money. If I couldn't find the Ruger, the ACII was my next choice.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dropped my darling Sig off with Chad yesterday for a little work. Ran about 600 rounds through her to put some wear in. After about 100 rounds it will feed the occasional round just short of battery. No biggie. I just bump it forward and continue shooting. Chad can ever so slightly do something that should keep it from happening. Glad I am not anal otherwise I would be posting how it is a piece of crap and that Sig is a terrible brand :)

Jackalope

What say Chad and the rest of the 1911 enthusiasts about this model form RIA?

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...matic+Pistol&cal=45AP&fin=&sit=&zipcode=20619

It's a snazzy looking gun but am I over thinking it and should I just go with a Ruger? I don't intend it for serious range work. I mean I'm not going to make it my IDPA or USPSA pistol but I feel the need to own at least one 1911.

There's nothing wrong with RIA in my opinion and that seemed to be the opinion of Blaster 229 when we met up at the range after I got mine. Don't dis-count them just because they're not a Colt, Kimber, Ruger or Sig. That said I would have loved to get a Colt but I don't have that kind of money to spend, if I did the chances of my wife using it on me would be very good.

Mike, I took mine down to Scott's and was told they're backed up for at least a month and can not take in anymore work till at least the beginning of October. :( Guess I have to wait for my new sights and a trigger job, hell by then maybe the trigger will be broken in and not need to be worked on at all.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The RIA shot well. I liked it. They just don't come out of the box as"refined" like the few hundred dollar more expensive models. Between night sights, some trigger work, etc.. You are up to the price of a bigger brand name.
    I don't think a 1911 trigger " breaks in " and gets better. I think trigger width, different shape of trigger bar and smoothing of some internal parts that don't typically "wear" like other functioning trigger parts makes a trigger "better".
    Chad was very busy when I went in. I just need very little grinding and buffing work done on the barrel throat so he took it. Told him to keep as long as needed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom