• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I would like some info on AR-10's. currently looking at the Armalite A10 A4, DPMS LRT, M&P 10. I have built a few AR's but I have heard magazines and other parts are not standard.

edit or should I just build a .300 blackout for one of my current lowers? I currently have a remington 700 in .308 but that's the only .308 I have.

Thanks,

Steve

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    They aren't standard in that an upper from one Mfg. will not fit the lower of another. Rising in popularity is the DPMS/KAC SR25 platform, same Mags and barrel. Aramalite -A is DPMS platform, -B is proprietary. The M&P 10 gets rated well. Some of the DPMS have an extruded upper that I am not a fan of. I am building a Black Rain AR 10 that I am very happy with so far.

You can always get a .300 blackout upper, the AR10 is probably on someone's to be banned list. .300 blackout ballistics do not come near .308 Win, especially out 200 yards plus.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I would like some info on AR-10's. currently looking at the Armalite A10 A4, DPMS LRT, M&P 10. I have built a few AR's but I have heard magazines and other parts are not standard.

edit or should I just build a .300 blackout for one of my current lowers? I currently have a remington 700 in .308 but that's the only .308 I have.

Thanks,

Steve

Your welcome to run a few rounds out of my Armalite Ar-10. It is a proprietary system that requires use of their magazines and DPMS uppers will not work on it.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    OK, I understand that the uppers and lowers are not standard but from what i have been reading the other parts are interchangeable, as far as LPK's, Tubes, Buffers, Barrels, etc.... I'm thinking of trying to build myself a AR-10 in .243

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    OK, I understand that the uppers and lowers are not standard but from what i have been reading the other parts are interchangeable, as far as LPK's, Tubes, Buffers, Barrels, etc.... I'm thinking of trying to build myself a AR-10 in .243

Those parts are interchangeable except for the barrel. Because the DPMS platform has the most traction it is easiest to stick with this platform. Armalite AR-10B is proprietary, Armalite AR-10A is DPMS platform. Rock River has their own proprietary platform as well.

LPK is standard AR 15 except for a few parts, they come kitted for .308. Buffer tube is AR15, Buffer spring and buffer are .308 specific.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a ColT LE 901-16S. Uses LR25 magazines and with the included adapter, you can put an M4 style 223 or 300 BLK upper on it.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    If you can, stop by a local shop that has multiple AR10 platforms in stock. That'll give you a chance to look them over in person. I know 2A Sales has DPMS, Armalite, and Sig Sauer's 716 in stock.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If you can, stop by a local shop that has multiple AR10 platforms in stock. That'll give you a chance to look them over in person. I know 2A Sales has DPMS, Armalite, and Sig Sauer's 716 in stock.

I got my Ruger SR762 at 2A, it was nice to be able to compare a few different ones before you decide... plus you can also ask questions when you are there to decide which is best for you as well...

Also picked up a Black Rain Ordnance matched Billet upper/lower set for .308 from them as well, plan on building it into a precision .308 soon...

Have definitely enjoyed my purchase... lots of fun...just find the one that works best for you...

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    There is also the Sig 716 Patrol - a piston operated SR25 pattern rifle similar in many ways to the Ruger SR762

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    There is also the Sig 716 Patrol - a piston operated SR25 pattern rifle similar in many ways to the Ruger SR762

2A had one of those in stock the last time I was there last week...

Looked at the Sig when I bought the Ruger...the Sig was nice...just liked the Ruger more...to each his own...they are both great rifles...both would serve well...

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    LMT LM8MWS

lmt_mws_slick_308win_22.jpg

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you're building your own, I highly recommend either Black Rain Ordinance or Mega Arms for you Upper/Lower combo.

If you can't find them, the DPMS is still a good choice.

2A sales has AR-10 specific build kits from DPMS that look like good buys.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    We have a Black Rain that we purchased as a complete rifle from Gun Shack in Mt. Airy. We also have a DPMS.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Which 7.62 AR platform is the most friendly in interchangeability (mags, uppers, etc.)?

Nearly all (except Armalite) accept the same PMAG LR series mags. FCG is common with AR-15. Other stuff varies by mfr - some will interchange between brands of lowers and uppers, but many do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom