• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alrighty,
    Now I know that forged is "just as good", but I'm building up a one-off special build, so I thought I'd spring for a little extra fancy-pants lower that I'll most likely form 1. That being said I don't want to pay "Radian" money for a lower. Do any of you have any experience with any of these?...

San Tan
    New Frontier (from what I understand they make a LOT for other sellers)
    Mega/Zev
    ADM UIC (I'd be looking at a blem model)
    Seekins (their styling looks a little dated to me though)
    Andro (which look a LOT like San Tan)
    CMT
    Silencerco

In the forged camp I'm also looking at
    Sharps Livewire
    Aero M4E1
    Griffin Mk2

Things I like about most (if not all) is the threaded bolt bolt catch pin (and other various holes). Do I need ambi? Nope, but it's cool to have. I'm building on a Lantac Raven side charger billet upper, but the Raven lower leaves me kinda' "meh".

So, any reviews/experience with any of the above-mentioned lowers? I know Wes at MSTN said he really likes the Sharps Livewire.

I'd prefer anodized 7075 as opposed to cerakoted

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Very happy with my latest M4E1 build. Yeah being able to use a set screw capturing the take down detent is great for future disassembly.
    IMG_4364.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very happy with my latest M4E1 build. Yeah being able to use a set screw capturing the take down detent is great for future disassembly. View attachment 461022
    If a lower doesn't already come threaded(rear take-down hole), I thread it myself. Takes a couple seconds.

I've built out a couple New Frontiers and had no problems.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Real avid makes a front pin install tool. It’s about 12 bucks on Amazon and works flawlessly

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    If a lower doesn't already come threaded(rear take-down hole), I thread it myself. Takes a couple seconds.

How would you say the fit/finish is compared to others? From what I understand the JoeBob Spartan lower is made by them. Other than the engraving, I wonder is there are any other differences?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Is this to keep the detent and spring captured if you remove the castle nut and back plate? I know I've sheard off or bent that spring a couple times screwing in the buffer tube with the plate rotating around for the install.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How would you say the fit/finish is compared to others? From what I understand the JoeBob Spartan lower is made by them. Other than the engraving, I wonder is there are any other differences?
    They appear to be the same. Like I said, no problems here. BTW, there is a difference between billet and forged lowers(and uppers). Forged is harder than billet.
    Is this to keep the detent and spring captured if you remove the castle nut and back plate? I know I've sheard off or bent that spring a couple times screwing in the buffer tube with the plate rotating around for the install.
    Yup. If you encounter a threaded rear detent shaft, be sure and nip a little of the spring off to compensate for the shortened space.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Don’t know if they still make them, but Engage Armament right here in MD made some great billet lowers. I bought a pair before the panic of 2012-2013.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I started looking at the JL billet skeletor as well. I'm looking at the ADM blems, I'm just concerned about how "blem" they are

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    This is their LW version. Price is reasonable. I have the std. wt. version & it is excellent.
    1711244015835.png

1711244037471.png

ADM UIC lower with Mega upper 16" Recce.
    1711245147871.jpeg

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    That's the one I'm looking at. They take all standard AR mags and Pmags?

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    That's the one I'm looking at. They take all standard AR mags and Pmags?
    Yes JL & ADM take all typical AR mags.

I machined One of the JL billet lowers in the magwell (also requires extension notches). It will allow 2.385 max load length with windowed 10rd metal mags.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    I have 2 Mk2 Griffin lower builds. Really nice quality for the price and the ambi controls are well thought out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom