Which Dillon is best for our intentions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Another question for the knowledgeable. My father and I currently reload on a single stage rcbs rock chucker. He wants to upgrade to a progressive and like anything else he does, he's looking to go full bore. We primarily reload 223 but will be also reloading 308, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45acp, 40, and 9mm. Any other magnum calibers we shoot will probably still be done on the single stage. He's looking at the dillon 650 and dillon 1050. He wants the press to do everything, including trimming, swagging, decapping, primering (not sure if that's a word), charging, seating, and crimping. (I think that's all of them). The problem is its confusing as to what setup would work best. And which ones come with certain accessories. So dillon 550, 650, or 1050? And he's also looking for something to go through generations also so durability is a must. Or is there another manufacturer that would suit our demands better?

Any help and opinions are appreciated.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    The XL 650 with the case feeder, and the only thing you will touch is the bullets.

Or, if he is really looking to spend, get the 1050 and an ammobot. It works like a tombstone.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    So both the 650 and 1050 can have the case trimmer / swagger attached. I've seen different things in reviews and YouTube. That's why I figured I'd turn to the forum. Any ideas about retailers with them in stock to look at? I guess maybe he can call dillon tomorrow. We were kinda hoping to see em at a gun show though.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Bob @ Maryland Reloader is a Dillon dealer. He has a 650 setup but not a 1050. I have the Xl650 and it works like a charm. As said before out of the box the only thing you will need to touch is the bullets with the case feed assembly. You can automate that as well if you want to spend the money. How much do you reload? Do you regularly run 1 fired military brass through the mill? If not you don't have to swage each time. I would do the case prep on a different setup and leave the reloading to the xl650.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Usually we run through about 1000 once fired brass at a time. Usually military stuff. I get fresh brass pretty much whenever so that's why removing the crimp is a pain. Trimming sucks the most so maybe swagging on a separate swagger wouldn't be bad if he went the 650 route. I'll check out Maryland reloader. Thanks.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    How many of each before switching to another and is money a factor, if so how much money are you willing to spend?

I prefer to have two machines of each different model because I don't have to change primer systems if I keep one for LP and the other for SP.

You could have 4 550's setup in different calibers for less than a 1050 runs in a single caliber.

A 1050 caliber and primer conversion with an extra tool head and powder measure will run you more than $500. A 550 is under $400 a 650 is $570.

You can run a trimmer on all 3 of them, you just have them on another tool head, so you have a "prep" and "load" tool head. An extra tool head is $200 for the 1050, $28 for the 650 and $23 for the 550.

If you have to swage brass a 1050 will run circles around the 550 or 650, in much the same way a progressive beats a single stage, it's just part of the process with a 1050 and another step with the rest.

My 1050's are setup for rounds I load thousands and thousands of. My 650's I generally won't convert them for less than a run of 2000. I don't mind converting the 550 for just a few hundred.

I have all of them because there really is no best for everything. I guess if I burned $100 bills to keep warm in the winter I would have a 1050 setup for every caliber and different load that I use but that makes for a pretty long bench.

IMG_20140424_192918_zps1e5b242b.jpg

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I think he was looking around the 2000-2500 mark. We only do 223 right now. About to start doing all the other calibers I mentioned. And we would probably do runs of 1000 to keep it simple. Maybe 2000.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Like I said though. He wants something that's gonna last for generations. So something more of an investment. He's been a lurker on this site for a while. I keep trying to convince him to do an intro and start posting himself. Thanks for the advice.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    The Dillon stuff is bullet proof and runs great. Keep in mind the effort/cost of the caliber changes if you go with the 1050 over the 650. With the 650 its a caliber change kit, die plate if you go with the XL1050 you add the swage(if you change primer size), Trimmer (if you go with the trimmer) etc.. Like I said I would go with the XL650 and build a separate case prep station.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The 650 has a lifetime warranty. The 1050 is a commercial press and has a 1 year warranty. Not that I've ever heard of a problem with a 1050 but something to consider.

My buddy loads a ton of 223 and uses a swagit on a 650 to swage primer pockets. He swears by it and talked me into getting one. I have set it up yet so can't give a personal view.

I would load the magnum rounds on the single stage. My 650 loads 223, 9mm and 45. I may set it up for blackout. All my precision ammo and hunting ammo gets loaded on a single stage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As has been said, if you want the press to swage, your only choice is the 1050. The Swage-It voids your warranty. And as I understand it, Dillon knows what to look for to see if you have been running one.

I have a 650, and do mil brass in two passes. First pass deprimes and sizes (rifle only). I then swage the primer pockets with a Dillon Super Swage. Then I load in the second pass. I will process several thousand cases with the first pass. And then swage as I find time (normally watching TV), then load when I need to.

The reason I size the rifle brass on the first pass is, so I can tumble to remove lube, and not have to lube for the second pass. I could just deprime, and do the rest on the second pass, then tumble the loaded rounds for 15 minutes or so to remove the lube.

With my 650, I have two complete primer setups. So swapping from small to large primers or back is 2 bolts and the primer punch. With a complete head setup for each caliber I load a lot of (including a powder measure), it takes maybe 10 minutes max to swap calibers, with primer size change. For lesser loaded cartridges, I keep an adjusted charge bar for each, and that adds a couple of minutes for the conversion.

As I understand it, swapping a 1050 is a MUCH more involved deal. But if you go 1050, once you get it set up for 9mm, I would like to come over and process some brass. :)

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Ha! That's awesome avice. I didn't think of that and I don't think he has either. I suppose if it's not difficult to do then doing a run of 1000 to do the first stage and then finishing off the thousand after the press is set up isn't a bad idea. That's why I ask the questions here. Always knowledgeable people.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I think he was looking around the 2000-2500 mark.

That makes it simple as the money makes the choice for you.

A 550 in one caliber minus dies is $440, a Lee die set will run you around $32 X 7 = $224. The Dillon trimmer with .223 and 308 dies is $390. 6 caliber conversions are $276 and 6 additional tool heads are $138. If you want the conversions to be quick add another $468 for 6 more powder measures too.

That's $1936 and your still going to have to move stuff around to run the trimmer or get a couple more tool heads.

A 650 in one caliber is $567 you are going to want the case collator for $220 and $117 for the additional case feed plates for your other calibers. Same $468 for powder measures, $224 for dies and $390 for the trimmer. 6 caliber conversions are $468 and $348 for the tool heads brings the total to $2802.

The 1050 in one caliber is $1750, unlike the 550 and 650 it only comes with one primer system so the other large or small adds $108. Again the same $390 for the trimmer and .223/308 trim die, $192 for 6 die sets (the 1050 comes with 1 set), $117 for the case feed plates, $468 in powder measures. The 6 caliber conversions are $750 and $1194 in tool heads. So your at $5001 and as above you still are going to have to move things around or buy additional tool heads for the trimmer dies.

Hope that helps.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Just so you understand the Dillon trimmers cannot be used while loading. They are large enough in diameter that you cannot place a die in stations adjacent to them much less a powder measure. So it doesn't matter what machine you pick 2 passes are going to be required.

IMG_20141231_101016_603-1_zps04d5d37a.jpg

The 650 has a lifetime warranty. The 1050 is a commercial press and has a 1 year warranty...

My buddy loads a ton of 223 and uses a swagit on a 650 to swage primer pockets.

It's worth noting that using the aftermarket swagers for the 550 and 650, do not have back up rods to support the inside of the case as the pocket is being swaged, void Dillon's warranty on them.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    That actually helps a ton. I was thinking trimming can be done as one of the stages. So since at least two passes are necessary maybe the 650 is the best option. I think he's just gonna start with 223 and maybe a pistol caliber. So it won't quite be the price you quoted because you quoted for all the calibers I originally posted. He will do those over time. Thank you guys so much. I'll go over this info with him if he hast already seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom