• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Find yourself an older Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 in nice shape. End of discussion.

:thumbsup:

Agreed.

To the poster that said 30-30 is short on power - Are you willing to stand in front of an incoming 30-30?? I didn't think so. ;)

The rounds been around for longer than all of us, and it's taken untold amounts of game during it's time. It'll do it's job, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I love my Marlin 30-30. To anyone who says it's short on power, I beg to differ. I have shot through a 1 1/2" sapling and killed a deer with it. Any deer I have hit with that round (talking 20-25) dropped and died quick. The round makes large holes that bleed profusely. I don't know why you would need a more powerful gun for deer unless you are looking for a long distance shooter which the 30-30 is definately not. That being said, I would love to get one of the new Henry Golden Boys.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you want one for the coming apocalypse (pick one), think about one in a caliber that can be loaded in black powder.

You could make black powder, but hard to make your own smokeless powder. :)

.45-70, 45 LC, .38-40, .44-40, etc.

.30-30 was the first cartridge designed for smokeless powder.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Get a Marlin 1894 in either .44 Magnum or .357 Magnum, preferably one that is PRE- 2009.
    The post-2009 Marlins that have a "REM" Proofmark on the left side of the barrel (same side as the feed gate) are spotty, in regard to quality control.

The proofmark that you want to see states "JM" on the right side of the barrel, near the receiver.

I second the above quote, especially regarding the Pre-2009 Marlin models. Please consider that your wife will probably NOT like the recoil from a 30-30 ( or a 44 Magnum) AT ALL!!! I would highly recommend the 357 over the 44 or 30-30 simply because the recoil will be lessened for her. The 1894C is a short light weight ( 5.5#) FAST handling .357 Magnum Carbine.

I had a Marlin 1894C which is the 38/357 model. I never used 38's in it. I always used .357's. Be advised that this is not a "Target" rifle per se.
    I was able to get 2" groups at 70 yrds and 4-5" groups at 100 yrds. A very enjoyable home defense/hunting rifle....and Yes, people have actually hunted deer with a .357!! :thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    :thumbsup:

Agreed.

To the poster that said 30-30 is short on power - Are you willing to stand in front of an incoming 30-30?? I didn't think so. ;)

The rounds been around for longer than all of us, and it's taken untold amounts of game during it's time. It'll do it's job, nothing more nothing less.

+1
    Is the .30-30 a modern day ballistics star? No. Not even remotely close to numerous other cartridges. But as a cartridge designed for the fast handling and well balanced lever actions so very popular in both history and in the deer woods over the years? And at the ranges where you'll have 99% of your opportunities with deer? It'll absolutely get the job done. This cartridge has likely put more venison in the freezer than every other cartridge combined. At the end of the day, a man with a .30-30 in a deer woods isn't undergunned. There aren't different degrees of dead.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    I am looking to purchase a Lever Action Rifle and I have searched the forum for some information about brands and models however have not been able to find any topics to my situation.
    When I go into gun shops some will point me to one brand over another because of what feels like to me how much money they make off the brand. I have had some tell me Henry are not well made. I am looking for an reliable rifle that would be used for hunting as well as a rifle if the SH** hits the fan. A short barrel would be ideal as my wife would also use the Rifle.

Also caliber comes to mind as another topic, while I feel like a 30-30 would be the best caliber I am looking at maybe the 38-357?
    If Ammo is this hard to find now I want to look to the future as well with a caliber that would be available.

Help me spend my money, just not much of it..:D
    Who told you that? I've had my Henry rifle for years. Shoot the crap out of it and it still hits on the mark at a 100 yards.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Great thread - this is the other "next toy" I'm thinking about besides a modernist carbine.

A lever action in 38-357 will share ammo with my Taurus 605 snub, the .40 carbine (search for that thread if you have info) would share with my main pistol.

Since it won't be for anything more than plinking, the fun of maybe an 1894-style... Hmm. Now I can't decide what to save for!

So whatcha all think?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Great thread - this is the other "next toy" I'm thinking about besides a modernist carbine.

A lever action in 38-357 will share ammo with my Taurus 605 snub, the .40 carbine (search for that thread if you have info) would share with my main pistol.

Since it won't be for anything more than plinking, the fun of maybe an 1894-style... Hmm. Now I can't decide what to save for!

So whatcha all think?

Since you already got a .357, that decision is a easy one IMO. .357 Lever, I personally like the Henry's in .357, but you may prefer another one.

With the Hornady ammo and some practice, you could reach out a healthy bit and still do the job safely.

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    I love my lever guns. My first and one of my favorites is my Marlin 336 in 30-30. I also have 2 model 88 winchesters, on in .284 and .308, but neither are apocolypse guns. Like stated above, go for the Marlin 336 or winchester 94 in 30-30. Ammo is plentiful and readily available.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's one thing the 30-30 DOES have going for it. Every place that normally stocks ammo has at least had a few boxes of 30-30 in there, even during this buying spree.

Some may call it outdated and outclassed - and to an extent I'll give them that, but the ammo's still available. ;)

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Vince55- Who told you that? I've had my Henry rifle for years. Shoot the crap out of it and it still hits on the mark at a 100 yards.

A Gunsmith who was working for a small PA Gun Store. Also a person who was in the store at the same time.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

So whatcha all think?

I'm thinking that I need to get off this thread before you fellow lever fans start costing me more damned money!:lol2:

.357 sounds like a fun gun with the ammo interchangability.

Here would be a fun lever gun to find IMO that I'd throw out there..........a Winchester 9422 in .22WMR. I have one in 22LR but would love one in 22WMR. Not too terribly expensive to plink with. Readily available ammo. Cartridge interchangability with a number of excellent handguns. And as a bonus as a SHTF survival gun, you could very quickly stuff 500 rounds or more of 22WMR in your pants pockets. 22WMR has enough emergency capability to keep meat on the menu while having only slightly larger cartridge dimensions than the 22LR.

Enjoy!

ERIC S NOEL

Jun 14, 2010
    huntingtown Md
    I have a Rossi .38 /.357 and it is the favorite rifle of the wife and the kids. As stated earlier it could take a dear.It is light,well balanced and with .38's it will not break the bank. IF you have a .357 sidearm it is a grate combo...IMO

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I have a Winchester 94 in 357 and it is a tack driver. If I was buying new, I would take a hard look at a Taylor 1873 in 357. I have looked at them at the Dulles gun show and they are fine firearms.

They make a levergun called the Alaskan in SS that would be a nice shooter and a good defensive weapon.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's what I was saying. It's a good brush gun but low on power for distance shooting.

But realistically, what's the furthest shot you expect to take in this area hunting deer?? The furthest shot I've had yet on a deer in the tri-state area has only been around 160 - 175 yards, well within the 30-30's comfort zone.

For the AVERAGE distance in this area, the 30-30 will do just fine. If your in a more open area, exceeding 300 yards consistently - then yeah, by all means, step up some.

i.c.spots

Jul 27, 2010
    Finksburg
    I like my pre-64 Model 94 in 30-30. Recently, while doing the ammo check run discovered I could usually find 30-30 on the shelf when most of the ammo cabinet was empty. Occasionally I can find the 357.

Right now I would a caliber you can find to shoot. I have heard it's difficult get close enough to kill deer by clubbing them to death with a rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom