• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have form 1'd rimfire suppressors, but building a rifle suppressor is not a viable option at the moment due to lack of access to appropriate machinery now, so.... I need a rifle suppressor. It's my tax day present to me, well, who knows when the heck I will actually 'get it', but... it's a move that needs to be made.

What are some decent options out there from those of you with first hand experience for a can that will cover all my bases. I need it to handle up to 300wsm and of course the other 30's like 300aac and 308. I would also like to use it for 7.62x39, so that's a factor in the projectile diameter dept. It also needs to handle down to 223, no big deal, but it means that I need attachment/brake, whatever to accomodate 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 threaded barrels.

Suggestions? I am a novice in this department at the moment..

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    You’ll probably get more info than can be digested. I have numerous brands for different applications. Lifetime warranty is preferable. Full auto rated application is also something I look for. One can “tool” to do many different jobs will have to compromise something. So a can that can change the end cap for different calibers would be good but not necessary. Dead Air , Griffin and OSS in my limited use have been better than silencerco but again there will be some brand loyalty that may sway people. Good luck and hopefully your efile will come through quickly.

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    Lots of options out there that are good. Having recently went through a search for my first suppressor which resulted in purchasing a dead air sandman k. My suggestion would be the dead air sandman s. It is probably the most versatile in series. With the keymo mount it is very easy to switch the suppressor from one gun to another and there are lots of muzzle devices that are available for 1/2 x28 and 5/8x24 from flash hiders to brakes and even a combination in the nox by solgw. I have the dead air compensator on a 6.5, nox on my 223 and the lantac dragon ( primary arms tends to have them on sale a couple times a year for around 80 bucks) on my better half's rifle. Can handle up to 300 win mag. Switch end caps to tailor to .223, 6.5, or. 308 call. They even have the e brake which you can install pretty easy on the suppressor. Lifetime warranty and they tend be priced well. All that is why i went with the sandman. I went with k just to keep it shorter on my defense rifles. Not sure if it would be good to go on a AK as I don't have one and didn't research that part if it. Just my 2 cents with my limited experience.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    To get good advice you need to rank your priorities: low back pressure, light weight, full auto rated, short length, maximum suppression, universal mount compatibility. 90% of the silencer recommendations you get will just be people telling you what they own.

I own a lot of suppressors. Generally speaking I recommend something mid weight and mid length for a first rifle can. Examples: Dead Air Nomad, Dead Air Sandman S or Rugged Razor if shooting full auto (otherwise don’t bother, they’re too heavy), Rugged Radiant, YHM Resonator R2, SilencerCo Omega, Griffin Recce 7, Rex Silentium MG7 or Mod X, Energetic Armament Vox S, or a great newcomer to the market: Griffin Explorr Gen 2. The new Explorr cans are REALLY light weight and meter well. I have a Gen 1 that does well, but the Gen 2 exhibits less back pressure, weighs less, and meters better at the ear.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks for the insight to all. I am still researching and learning and I realize it is a compromise to expect one can to fit all, but I know from experience (tho limited) that anything is better than nothing and I will eventually add a pistol can to the mix, so I am leaving that out of it for now and the x39 is not critical, though it would be nice and I realize it will likely work as long as I have concentric threads on all of the x39 barrels (it would only be a rifle, AR, not the shorty pistol version, I know that's asking too much... lol).

I am leaning towards a Dead Air Nomad Ti at the moment, which is a bit pricey, but it does fit the bill as far as not too long, light weight and will cover most all of my needs. More research.....

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Nomad Ti is a really great first can if you stay within the manufacturer recommended usage for semi autos.

7.62x39 should be fine. Tons of people suppress AKs and other 7.62x39 firearms. My truck gun is a suppressed AK pistol.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Depends on your budget. IF budget is no issue then think about attachment method and how readily available those are.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The Nomad Ti is a really great first can if you stay within the manufacturer recommended usage for semi autos.

7.62x39 should be fine. Tons of people suppress AKs and other 7.62x39 firearms. My truck gun is a suppressed AK pistol.
    I don't plan on using it with any full auto weapons, I have a few AR pistols, but my x39 pistol is only a 7" barrel and it will have a hard time taming that one for sure, so I'm not worried about that one. I do have a 16" barreled x39 rifle that would like to be quieted a tad tho! I do plan on using it for limited hunting and definately for competition with the 300wsm rifle, so the Ti aspect and keeping the weight/length down is important. That wsm is a 24" bbl. Mag dumps are too expensive and I can live with the titanium limitations vs the benefits offered.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't plan on using it with any full auto weapons, I have a few AR pistols, but my x39 pistol is only a 7" barrel and it will have a hard time taming that one for sure, so I'm not worried about that one. I do have a 16" barreled x39 rifle that would like to be quieted a tad tho! I do plan on using it for limited hunting and definately for competition with the 300wsm rifle, so the Ti aspect and keeping the weight/length down is important. That wsm is a 24" bbl. Mag dumps are too expensive and I can live with the titanium limitations vs the benefits offered.
    You pay a premium price for Dead Air products, but their customer service is extremely good and their warranty is fantastic. They tend to be a good choice for first time buyers because of that. Very user friendly.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sandman S or Nomad 30 (what I currently have in jail) sound right up your alley.

I'm a little torn between the Nomad 30 or the Ti, if I go that route. I don't have any binary triggers, tho I do have a couple of short barreled AR pistols that it would be nice to use on, but it's not critical, I really want it mostly for rifles and the 300BO pistol. I like the weight reduction vs the 17-4 version and can live with the restrictions if necessary.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Silencerco Omega 300 and love it. It resides on multiple AR's and also spends time on my long range .308 gun as well. Can be direct thread or used with their quick mount flash hiders or muzzle brakes.

Captain Waggles

Jul 11, 2018
    Dundalk, MD
    my x39 pistol is only a 7" barrel
    I have a 6in barrel AK pistol myself and I went with a Dead Air Wolverine. I should hopefully get my stamp by july and that'll be the first gun it's used on. The Wolverine is modular with it's interchangeable threads and end cap options and if you like the look of the old russian PBS-1 suppressor

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To get good advice you need to rank your priorities: low back pressure, light weight, full auto rated, short length, maximum suppression, universal mount compatibility. 90% of the silencer recommendations you get will just be people telling you what they own.

I own a lot of suppressors. Generally speaking I recommend something mid weight and mid length for a first rifle can. Examples: Dead Air Nomad, Dead Air Sandman S or Rugged Razor if shooting full auto (otherwise don’t bother, they’re too heavy), Rugged Radiant, YHM Resonator R2, SilencerCo Omega, Griffin Recce 7, Rex Silentium MG7 or Mod X, Energetic Armament Vox S, or a great newcomer to the market: Griffin Explorr Gen 2. The new Explorr cans are REALLY light weight and meter well. I have a Gen 1 that does well, but the Gen 2 exhibits less back pressure, weighs less, and meters better at the ear.
    This. IMO it's a good idea to shop mounts too, if you want to use the same can on multiple rifles, something like Keymo is really expensive and weighs a ton, but really nice to use. SiCO's ASR is popular, but you need to turn the lock ring on the mount, and can't do that if the can is tucked at all under handguards. I love the Griffin taper mount system, more muzzle devices than anyone, they are simple, plan-A adapters work with a ton of other can including all that use the Sico alpha, bravo and charlie standards. IMO the Griffin explorr is one of the best all-around cans, and they have 2 versions, a fixed Griffin taper mount and a modular mount model that uses Omega Bravo standard threadings, it includes Griffin's taper mount adapter. I own a few Griffin cans and a gen 1 Explorr is my favorite rifle can primarily for the reasons Woodline stated, it's tubeless so light with good interior volume, mild backpressure, good balanced performance and relatively compact. Everyone has their favorites though, and you can't go wrong with anything SiCo, YHM, Griffin, Dead air, Rugged, or a few others, they all have their niche, they all have varying performance and features.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Rugged Radiant 7.62 and I run that on my AR's (300 Black and 5.56) and even a couple of my bolt guns. It does use a proprietary mount, but you can get a flash hider, a standard muzzle brake, and they even have a minimalist brake (non-keyed) that I like to use on my bolt action rifles. The Radiant has a long and a short configuration if you want to go small and light.

I think alucard0822 summed it up nicely: "can't go wrong with anything SiCo, YHM, Griffin, Dead air, Rugged, or a few others". With any half-way descent 30 cal can you are going to be a happy camper. The shooting experience is soooo much better.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This. IMO it's a good idea to shop mounts too, if you want to use the same can on multiple rifles, something like Keymo is really expensive and weighs a ton, but really nice to use. SiCO's ASR is popular, but you need to turn the lock ring on the mount, and can't do that if the can is tucked at all under handguards. I love the Griffin taper mount system, more muzzle devices than anyone, they are simple, plan-A adapters work with a ton of other can including all that use the Sico alpha, bravo and charlie standards. IMO the Griffin explorr is one of the best all-around cans, and they have 2 versions, a fixed Griffin taper mount and a modular mount model that uses Omega Bravo standard threadings, it includes Griffin's taper mount adapter. I own a few Griffin cans and a gen 1 Explorr is my favorite rifle can primarily for the reasons Woodline stated, it's tubeless so light with good interior volume, mild backpressure, good balanced performance and relatively compact. Everyone has their favorites though, and you can't go wrong with anything SiCo, YHM, Griffin, Dead air, Rugged, or a few others, they all have their niche, they all have varying performance and features.
    Agree with all. If I needed a new light/medium duty 5.56 or .30 cal suppressor today I would go with the Griffin Explorr Gen 2 with the taper mount rear, but there are lots of good ones out there. If you stick with reputable brand names with good warranties, it’s hard to go wrong. About the only way to screw up a general purpose suppressor purchase is to buy something specialized for specific needs that don’t meet the end user intent. Features like flow through for semi auto, heavy machine gun focused, too big/long intended for maximum suppression, too short for tactical sound moderation, etc. And the wrong can is still usually a good can if it is used in a way that plays to its strengths, it just might not be good for what was intended.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    ... if you want to use the same can on multiple rifles, something like Keymo is really expensive and weighs a ton, but really nice to use.
    A coworker of mine almost got a Nomad but the cost of the additional module was an issue as he is budget constrained. He has a threaded 30-06 and an AR. He was able to purchase a Q Trash Panda that has two muzzle devices, one for 5.56 and one for 30 cal standard threads right out of the box.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    A coworker of mine almost got a Nomad but the cost of the additional module was an issue as he is budget constrained. He has a threaded 30-06 and an AR. He was able to purchase a Q Trash Panda that has two muzzle devices, one for 5.56 and one for 30 cal standard threads right out of the box.
    Yeah, the whole modular mount and suppressor accessory business is probably more profitable than the suppressor business itself. Dead Air is real proud of their Keymount system, and it shows in the price.

That said, the Nomad 30 is a great can and your friend could have gone with any of the much cheaper “hub” alternatives and done just fine. Nothing wrong with the trash panda though, especially for subsonic .300 blk. I certainly enjoy my Thunder Chicken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom