• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    The following is a quote from SB281 regarding who can buy hi-cap mags, 11 rounds or more. It is pretty clear that any law enforcement officer currently on duty or retired can by mags of any size.

"4–305.

16 SENATE BILL 281

(a) This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; OR

(2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR A PERSON WHO RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN THE STATE.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. "

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Problem solved...EVERYONE who drives to Chantilly next month can also buy hi-cap mags...LOL! Seriously though, interesting info.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Yep, it looks that way. Never cared to read COMAR to see what that says, though.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    This is misleading. The exceptions are for those who can purchase "standard capacity" magazines. Us serfs are stuck with "low capacity" magazines.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Not really asking but:
    What necessary reason does retired law enforcement need 10 + round mags for?
    I mean, as compared to retired Army or Marines.

Just pointing out the irony.

Sourkraut115

Jul 6, 2013
    the Westside
    Not really asking but:
    What necessary reason does retired law enforcement need 10 + round mags for?
    I mean, as compared to retired Army or Marines.

Just pointing out the irony.

I would imagine the answer would be that retired law enforcement officers can actually carry the weapons, as opposed to retired military personnel. Military training, in most cases, is for very different circumstances.

That said, although I'm active in one of these capacities and retired from another, I bought a fair number of standard capacity magazines in September, just in case, although I still might just go back to PA anyway. No matter what, I'm leaving MD when I retire from the day job.

And yes, the law is just plain dumb across the board. Having an exemption doesn't make me any sort of a supporter, it just softens the blow in a personal sense, a little.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Anyone know if it's still legal to buy +1 or +2 handgun mag kits online and have them shipped into MD?

Nothing wrong with buying them and shipping them here, but...
    If you take a magazine and make it over 10 rounds, you're breaking the law.
    Buy a bunch a take a little day trip to PA or VA:innocent0

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    That stupidity is why I bought 3 extra STD capacity factory magazines to go with the 3 that came with my G17 :D I had the 3 extras in my hand 60 days before I was able to pick up my pistol. My next trip out of state will see me returning with some magazines to go with my 2 lowers I am building :lol2:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So.... I doubt any ffl will sell any to someone plunking down a set of creds.

Stupid law.

sent from somewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom