• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My buddy who is has a CCW in AZ acutally practices (dry fire drills) holding one of his daughters.

Thanks for the hat tip. The more responsible and legally armed citizens that carry has a direct and proportional effect on violent crime.

The more of 'us' that carry the safer society becomes, and the less we must rely on a (tax funded) police force.

Who said, an armed society is a polite society? :)

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Thanks for the hat tip. The more responsible and legally armed citizens that carry has a direct and proportional effect on violent crime.

The more of 'us' that carry the safer society becomes, and the less we must rely on a (tax funded) police force.

Who said, an armed society is a polite society? :)

For those who might not know, that would be Dr. John Lott, and I'm sure he's appreciate the props.

He also did what many consider the seminal study on handgun violence in the U.S., "More Guns, Less Crime"

revwood

Cynical Optimist
    Feb 2, 2012
    Kent Island
    I still have the card (which expires August 2013) but no longer live in VA.

I still work in VA so I'm there almost every day, but only recently discovered that there is a non-resident version. I have not looked into getting one yet.

Anyone here know about the NR VA CCW?

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Was wondering how many members have an out of state CCW permit?

Which do you have? More than one?

It may be better to ask how many don't have an out of state permit. most of us probably do have out of state permits.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I still have the card (which expires August 2013) but no longer live in VA.

I still work in VA so I'm there almost every day, but only recently discovered that there is a non-resident version. I have not looked into getting one yet.

Anyone here know about the NR VA CCW?

If I'm not mistaken....all you need to do is give VSP your new address so they know where to send your renewal notice to.

31bv5

Apr 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I have a Fl non res, MN non res, WA res (I think it expired, from my time at Ft. Lewis) and a TX res. Covers me almost everywhere BUT maryland, lol.

revwood

Cynical Optimist
    Feb 2, 2012
    Kent Island
    If I'm not mistaken....all you need to do is give VSP your new address so they know where to send your renewal notice to.

It would be great if it were that simple. I've sent an email to VSP to find out what steps have to be taken. My guess is it will pretty much be the same as applying for a NR permit.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    From VSP website http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Change_of_Address

Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    Submitted my paperwork for Utah last week, I hope to have it before July. I'm not sure if someone mentioned this yet but I bought a great book from the Legal Heat folk's who also did my Utah training class at Bass Pro (Arundel Mills mall). It's a quick reference guide on how friendly each state if with firearms, which accept out of state concealed licenses, etc. I highly recommend it. I'm not trying to turn this in to a commercial or anything but this book was worth every penny.

http://www.mylegalheat.com/legal-heat-book.html

From their website:
    "Legal Heat: 50 State Guide to Firearm Laws and Regulations is the only traveler's guide book on the market that is written and edited by experienced firearm instructors and attorneys. Legal Heat contains an overview of all 50 states' firearm laws, including prohibited areas and reciprocity information. It's a must have for any firearm owner that would like to safely, and legally, transport a firearm throughout this great nation.
    Buy now for $15.00

Quantity

Each state has its own page which contains the following:

Ratings: Each state has been rated based on its friendliness towards firearms and their owners.
    Prohibited Areas: A list of all of the prohibited areas for firearms for each state. This section is essential knowledge for all concealed firearm permit holders.
    Reciprocity: A list of all the concealed firearm permits that each state currently recognizes.
    Self Defense and Firearm Laws: Statutory references for additional research.
    Special Notes: Any special notes that you might need to know about each state.

In addition to all of the above, Legal Heat also contains sections dedicated to essential information, such as how to handle:

National Parks and monuments
    Transporting a firearm in your vehicle from state to state
    BLM land
    Indian reservations
    AMTRAK
    Castle doctrines
    May Issue vs. Shall Issue states
    Contact information for all Attorney Generals
    And much more"

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I've heard of that book. My problem with buying a book for info...by the time it gets published it could already be out of date. What is the publication date on it?

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    web sites like www.handgunlaw.is and www.usacarry.com would seem a better way to stay current. As mentioned, books can become outdated by changes. What does the book say about NM's recent changes for example?

I'm at work currently and don't have the book on me but I remember the publication date being fairly recent. I would venture to guess it says nothing about NM and you stated it's a recent change. I think it's safe to say though that 99% of most state firearm laws are not going to change over night. On top of that it's really just a quick reference guide for you to have in your bag. I think when it comes down to checking something as important as a law that may keep you out of prison you should always check multiple sources. I should also mention that they do have phone apps that are updated a little quicker then their book is, with a very good UI.

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    I have NR permits from VA, UT, FL and NV.

Never lived in any of those states.

Just out of curiosity, why go for both the VA and UT if UT is covered in VA? I've seen quite a few people say they have both and figure I must be missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom