• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bogus130

Jan 23, 2013
    Active today
    Cert Date: 10/9/2013
    Exp: 10/8/2023

Question: Since I have my HQL# would I be able to go to the LGS and buy a handgun today? Will the LGS somehow scan my HQL in order to verify it isn't a fake?

Also received an email just now from MSP. I asked why my application was still pending while everything was "complete" on the checklist. Doesn't seem like they are too happy. All the email response said was, It's a 30 day process. Thanks

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Active today
    Cert Date: 10/9/2013
    Exp: 10/8/2023

Question: Since I have my HQL# would I be able to go to the LGS and buy a handgun today? Will the LGS somehow scan my HQL in order to verify it isn't a fake?

Also received an email just now from MSP. I asked why my application was still pending while everything was "complete" on the checklist. Doesn't seem like they are too happy. All the email response said was, It's a 30 day process. Thanks

Best bet is to first call MSP, then your FFL. Let us know if you get an answer!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Best bet is to first call MSP, then your FFL. Let us know if you get an answer!

IMO, I would talk your FFL and/or your attorney and leave MSP out of it. Each circumstance is apt to be different, and there isn't likely a one size fits all answer. Moreover, MSP is likely to be annoyed with the question given their workload, and they have evidenced an inability to give correct answers even though well intended.

For example, the posters above (#41 & #48) seemed to be suggesting they want to go to a local gun shop post Sept. 30 and make a new purchase. If that were me, I'd be waiting on the physical card to show up. It's just the cleaner approach. On the other hand, there are a lot of pre-Oct. 1 purchases still out there not picked up for various reasons. Some dealers are no doubt releasing based on the MSP's 9/24 Advisory, i.e. that they will not enforce the HQL requirement for those purchases. However, some dealers may not feel comfortable doing so despite MSP's Advisory? Some buyers may not feel comfortable regardless of what the dealer is willing to do?

IMO, I would think the printed screen pic, with name, address, and HQL number, along another photo ID, may increase the comfort level regarding releases and pick ups of pre-Oct. 1 purchases, i.e. the MSP Advisory, combined with the knowledge that an HQL has actually been certified/issued, but for receipt of the actual card, probably decreases the likelihood of a subsequent problem?

The point is, I doubt you want to take advice from MSP on this issue. It's going to be an individual decision between the dealer, and the buyer, based on the actual circumstances for each specific transaction.

Look, now I am breaking my own "rule" about limiting the discussion to input on "actual" issues, and avoiding extraneous commentary. Ugh!

PM51

Nov 15, 2008
    Elliott City
    1. Date Applied - 02OCT13
    2. Date Complete - 03OCT13
    3. Date it went Active - 09OCT13
    4. Date Card was received - pending
    5. Training/ or exemption - Exempt

hhuff

Apr 28, 2012
    Just checked the license front page and it looks like my license was issued.

Date Applied: 10/4/2013
    Certification Date: 10/9/2013
    Expiration Date: 10/8/2023

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    IMO, I would talk your FFL and/or your attorney and leave MSP out of it. Each circumstance is apt to be different, and there isn't likely a one size fits all answer. Moreover, MSP is likely to be annoyed with the question given their workload, and they have evidenced an inability to give correct answers even though well intended.

For example, the posters above (#41 & #48) seemed to be suggesting they want to go to a local gun shop post Sept. 30 and make a new purchase. If that were me, I'd be waiting on the physical card to show up. It's just the cleaner approach. On the other hand, there are a lot of pre-Oct. 1 purchases still out there not picked up for various reasons. Some dealers are no doubt releasing based on the MSP's 9/24 Advisory, i.e. that they will not enforce the HQL requirement for those purchases. However, some dealers may not feel comfortable doing so despite MSP's Advisory? Some buyers may not feel comfortable regardless of what the dealer is willing to do?

IMO, I would think the printed screen pic, with name, address, and HQL number, along another photo ID, may increase the comfort level regarding releases and pick ups of pre-Oct. 1 purchases, i.e. the MSP Advisory, combined with the knowledge that an HQL has actually been certified/issued, but for receipt of the actual card, probably decreases the likelihood of a subsequent problem?

The point is, I doubt you want to take advice from MSP on this issue. It's going to be an individual decision between the dealer, and the buyer, based on the actual circumstances for each specific transaction.

Look, now I am breaking my own "rule" about limiting the discussion to input on "actual" issues, and avoiding extraneous commentary. Ugh!

I actually deleted a post from earlier so I didn't break the rule...lol

MSP made the regs and will be enforcing them...but I agree that the persons lawyer should be contacted.

Pauljk

Mar 12, 2012
    Mount Airy
    My license was also issued today.

Applied on 10/4
    License Number: HQL-2013-000XXX
    Certification Date: 10/9/2013
    Expiration Date: 10/8/2023

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    They probably only need your license number, last week I did the paperwork for a pistol and they just asked for my ID#, did not look at it nor copy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom